Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Weather Resistant, Until.....

I am curious if there is an estimated time frame that a Pentax weather resistant DSLR will keep its water resistance until the seals start breaking down over time. Does anyone have any references or sources on this? Or are there any K10D users that are still using theirs in heavy rain?

02-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm here. Got mine in November 2007. It survived a whale watching cruise in torrential rain, high wind and other not nice weather things. 55 people were booked for the cruise, 11 of us actually took it. Some pics on page 5 of our Maui trip photos. Glenda's picture of our hair dos after the cruise gives you a hint. And yes, we were out on the open deck for the shots. Two hour cruise.

http://www.albertberry.com/Maui2/index.html

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 02-07-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Bunged up the URL
02-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I am curious if there is an estimated time frame that a Pentax weather resistant DSLR will keep its water resistance until the seals start breaking down over time. Does anyone have any references or sources on this? Or are there any K10D users that are still using theirs in heavy rain?
As long as you keep your camera clean and store it within the specified temperature range, I don't think the seals will really degrade over time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Pentax seals look like a high quality material that shouldn't decompose from normal air pollution or rain. If you use your camera at the beach, gently remove salt and sand before changing lenses or opening any of the doors. That will stop grit from scratching the seals.

02-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Weather Resistant, Until.....
It rains... or until you use a non WR lens, especially a non WR zoom.
02-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm here. Got mine in November 2007. It survived a whale watching cruise in torrential rain, high wind and other not nice weather things. 55 people were booked for the cruise, 11 of us actually took it. Some pics on page 5 of our Maui trip photos. Glenda's picture of our hair dos after the cruise gives you a hint. And yes, we were out on the open deck for the shots. Two hour cruise.
Nice photos. Thanks for the example, it's exactly what I was looking for. I'm getting my first WR lens to go with my K30, and it looks like I can expect WR seals to hold up well over time.
02-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

The biggest threat to seals isn't age. It is hair. I have seen twice how IP54 class box has leaked when there has been hair between the box and the lid and normal rain has leaked in and destroyed components inside. So be careful when changing lenses.
02-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There was a lot of discussion about the use of plastics etc in cameras in the early 1990's. My PZ-1 is alive and kicking after more than20 years of hard use. The same is true of all my DSLR bodies starting withthenorigonal *istD wiphich is now approaching 12!years old.

Side, over time the seals will age and harden due to oxidation (this is what kills polymers) but these materials have a Life of 20-40,000 hours at their rated temperature, which is typically well over 100C and some materials could approach 200C, life doubles for every 11C below the material rat d temperature, so sure if your camera is always in the desert at 60C perhaps the seals only has 120,000 hours of life or so. But this is still 15 years at 100% exposure. For most of us, we too would be dead after 15 years of 60 C continuous eposure!

In more normal climates the aging is like so slow a process, that it is no issue at all.

Note, this is all on the premise that the materials were selected with some thought behind them, and in this, I am pretty confident in pentax and their engineers

02-10-2015, 04:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had good experiences with Pentax cameras and their sealing over the years. I have owned sealed lenses since 2007 (and cameras too). I wouldn't hesitate to trust them in bad weather, although I certainly wouldn't dunk them in water or hose them off with really forceful stream of water either. Feels like a little TLC goes a long way to maintaining gear in decent shape.