Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not Crocodile Dundee - James Coburn in "The Magnificent Seven". Good images!

02-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Well! You must have been within 16 feet of the gunfighter!!!

Mythbusters did an episode where they looked at bringing a knife to a gunfight. After much testing the result was that at under sixteen feet the knife person had a better than 50/50 chance of stabbing the gunfighter before they could draw their gun.
Regards
Chris
Back when I was a LEO we trained for this and the distance was 20 feet. About 50% of the time the guy with the knife was able to reach & stab the officer before the officer could draw & fire his weapon. This got better with practice, but the first time was surprising.
02-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do believe you brought a bolt action Parker Hale M82 (or C3 as I know it) to an arena filled with full automatic rifles. A competent shooter can always outperform the less skilled regardless of what they're toting. Damn fine shooting. Kudos. Cheers for sharing.
02-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nice shots, but given that you were using AF, you brought a gun to a gunfight. Manual focus would've been a "knife" and even then not too difficult.
Maybe a .22 against a bazooka but really, if you hit the first shot accurately with a .22 you still might win, it's just with a bazooka you can afford to on,y be close

It's something like close only counts in horseshoes (hand grenades and nuclear weapons)

02-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Nice. Maybe I don't need that new Pentax 70-200 2.8 lens after all!
02-09-2015, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the kind words - I even learned a little bit about knife fights LOL. To be honest, I was a little nervous about using the K-5 (my K-3 is in for service). It doesn't have the best AF and the DA*16-50 isn't the quickest, but my job is to make photos, not excuses. So I hedged my bets by shooting with a good DOF (F6.3-F8.0 for most shots), relying upon the K-5's good high ISO performance to pull me through. Most of the shots are ISO 1600-3200. I also wanted quick flash recycle times so I shot at 1/32 power, the high ISO helping to extend my reach. I wanted to retain some ambient light, so I balanced everything accordingly. I also panned as I shot to add a little motion and set the camera to trailing curtain sync, but that didn't seem to have much of an impact. Took a little time to get the balance right, but once I got it dialed in, there was very little adjustment required, and for certain sequences I could have shot with MF and waited for the bikes to enter the focus zone.

So yes, with a little practice and patience the K-5 and DA* zooms can still deliver. I never claimed that they were the "champs". It's just that sometimes people focus too much on what gear is best when it's often cheaper to focus on technique. And the good thing about improving technique is that it transfers to all cameras.
02-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Thanks all for the kind words - I even learned a little bit about knife fights LOL. To be honest, I was a little nervous about using the K-5 (my K-3 is in for service). It doesn't have the best AF and the DA*16-50 isn't the quickest, but my job is to make photos, not excuses. So I hedged my bets by shooting with a good DOF (F6.3-F8.0 for most shots), relying upon the K-5's good high ISO performance to pull me through. Most of the shots are ISO 1600-3200. I also wanted quick flash recycle times so I shot at 1/32 power, the high ISO helping to extend my reach. I wanted to retain some ambient light, so I balanced everything accordingly. I also panned as I shot to add a little motion and set the camera to trailing curtain sync, but that didn't seem to have much of an impact. Took a little time to get the balance right, but once I got it dialed in, there was very little adjustment required, and for certain sequences I could have shot with MF and waited for the bikes to enter the focus zone.

So yes, with a little practice and patience the K-5 and DA* zooms can still deliver. I never claimed that they were the "champs". It's just that sometimes people focus too much on what gear is best when it's often cheaper to focus on technique. And the good thing about improving technique is that it transfers to all cameras.
I gotta keep this post as a guide to action shots with the K-5!

02-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #23
osv
Veteran Member

well done!! love that stuff, it looked like a blast to shoot.

based on all of the track stuff that i've shot over the years, i would suggest testing a bit faster shutter than 1/160th-1/180th, some of those shots are showing blur... it's hard to match speed when panning with a slow shutter... the wide tight corner shots could have been done at f/5.6, to make up for the faster shutter.

manual zone focus would work well for a lot of those shots.

thanks for sharing those pics!
02-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
boom!

02-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The photographer shows through whether its the Q on a motorcycle ride or the K-5 at bikes on ice. Those of us that are learning to make photos instead of taking pics need all the technical advantages we can get.
02-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

based on all of the track stuff that i've shot over the years, i would suggest testing a bit faster shutter than 1/160th-1/180th, some of those shots are showing blur... it's hard to match speed when panning with a slow shutter... the wide tight corner shots could have been done at f/5.6, to make up for the faster shutter.

i was about to say the opposite!

need a slower shutter and more panning! while freezing the bikes in action can be really cool (especially with chunks of ice flying everywhere), i'd have loved to have seen a few with really nice pan and motion blur in the background.
02-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series John and just shows that people with skills and reasonable/good tools will outperform the non skilled with their "perfect" tools.
I do agree with wibbly that given your position you could have tried to take some panning shots with lower shutter speeds. With the skills you show in this series I'll bet you would have come up with some stunning shots.

Last edited by andre-mz5; 02-10-2015 at 09:08 AM.
02-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #28
Pentaxian

John, Bravo!

Goes to show that knowing the subject/event, getting access, daring and the equipment goes a long way.

Nice shots.
02-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #29

Very Sharp Knife .
02-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

But remember, he is shooting flash, so unless he goes with HSS Flash, which does not give him fast recycle times, he is limited by the shutter speed