Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tingchaleun Quote
Has anybody used their K10/20D in the rain? I saw this guy on Youtube, pour pitchers of water all over his Nikon D3 and it still worked. Do you think the K10/20 can do that? It would be a big selling point for me. I have a K100 and when it rains, i have to hold an umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other, i don't mind getting water on it, but it's a little tiring. If i know the K20 can withstand normal rain, i wont' have to hold an umbrella (i don't mind myself getting wet). I guess this question also relates to the weather sealed lenses, DA*'s as well - how do those hold up in the rain?

TT
Just from my own personal experience, it does well in both rain and blizzards (K10D with the 16-50).

06-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tingchaleun Quote
Has anybody used their K10/20D in the rain? I saw this guy on Youtube, pour pitchers of water all over his Nikon D3 and it still worked. Do you think the K10/20 can do that? It would be a big selling point for me. I have a K100 and when it rains, i have to hold an umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other, i don't mind getting water on it, but it's a little tiring. If i know the K20 can withstand normal rain, i wont' have to hold an umbrella (i don't mind myself getting wet). I guess this question also relates to the weather sealed lenses, DA*'s as well - how do those hold up in the rain?

TT
I have used both my *istD and K10D in the rain.

Before that I used my PZ-1, Ricoh XR-2s and KX also in the rain.

I don't deliberately soak them, but they do get wet from time to time. My *istD is probably the champ in this regard, having been in a kayak that got swamped.

Water entered around the shutter release, clouded the top LCD and caused the camera to go into a continuous shoot mode. Had to pull the batteries to shut it off. Left it upside down for 4 hours in the sun, to dry out. 9000 shots later it is still going strong and never been serviced.

I would imagine the K10D would have done better. Shaken it off as you might say.

lenses, when they get wet get wipped off, and that is about it.

I would not say I am hard on equipment but I don't baby it either. The *istD was the biggest scare I have had, but overall camera stuff is pretty tough and reliable.

One thing I have heard about sealed lenses is that they are sealed so tight, there is a vacuum created when you zoom out. That would worry me more than a non sealed lens. This can put unwanted pressure on seals.
06-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #18

I did it...

I took several photos under heavy rain during the last Carnival parade. I had then my "old" camera, a K10d. This is one of the photos I took where the rain was stopping... Maybe you can see the water on my friend Bertaīs arms, and some white spots on the pic (water falling).

Here you can see the water on her body and on the street... Sorry for not posting the ones on the heavy rain, but I didnīt like them too much (you canīt see my friend in them

By the way MJB DIGITAL, donīt you think the Pentax looks sexy with my friend Berta on it?? :P

Last edited by milarmon; 06-09-2008 at 12:09 PM.
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I've had my K10D out in the rain and snow, no problems but I do have a question about the * lenses. If rain gets past the hood and on the front lens do you wipe the glass off or does the coating allow water to dry without spots? Man, I'd hate to rub anything on the front of the lens of my DA* 300/4.
Use a micro fiber cloth, gently. Use a blower brush to get the big stuff off, then the cloth should clean up the rest. As long as you don't scrape a piece of dirt across the lens, it won't mark. You might be surprised what a lens can take - even a tie with spittle on it is used in emergencies.

06-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

My K10D hasn't been in the rain yet but saw its share of snow last winter and no problems. I did a lot of shooting around water this spring during my daughters crew season and it picked up some splash and again no problems. That is reason I bought the camera is the advertised weather resistance. In my kayak the camera stays in a dry bag along with some other stuff except when i'm taking pics. The dry bag floats. I would hate to dump in deeper water and loose it.
06-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
In my kayak the camera stays in a dry bag along with some other stuff except when i'm taking pics. The dry bag floats. I would hate to dump in deeper water and loose it.
The problem is, when you are taking the camera in and out of the dry bag, it is open, and holds water from the inside as well as it keeps it out from the outside. That is how my *istD got it. Was in the process of putting it in the bag, when the Kayak hit a rock unexpectidly, and turned against the flow, water came over the side, and into the dry bag. OOPS fortunately, the *istD dried out very well.
06-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Torrential rain and dust storms, my K10D and 20D have shrugged it off with the DA*s. I did a shoot in the rain with the 31 and i wrapped it up with cling wrap and rubber bands to seal it. Worked well. Checked my D-BG2 and it is cover in dust right up to where the seal starts and then it is clean.