Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

K20D in the rain.

Has anybody used their K10/20D in the rain? I saw this guy on Youtube, pour pitchers of water all over his Nikon D3 and it still worked. Do you think the K10/20 can do that? It would be a big selling point for me. I have a K100 and when it rains, i have to hold an umbrella in one hand and my camera in the other, i don't mind getting water on it, but it's a little tiring. If i know the K20 can withstand normal rain, i wont' have to hold an umbrella (i don't mind myself getting wet). I guess this question also relates to the weather sealed lenses, DA*'s as well - how do those hold up in the rain?

TT

05-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K10D/K20D should hold up well in a light rain. However, if I were to shoot in a drizzle/rain, I'd do what I did when I shot a sports event in a steady, light drizzle. Take a terry cloth hand towel, fold it in quarters, and drape it over the lens/body combination.

This was with my Sigma EX 100-300/4, which has a pretty deep hood, so I needn't be concerned about drops on the front element. I used the wired remote, so didn't need to work the controls all that often. Afterward, the body/lens was damp/moist, and I just dried it off. No ill effects to this day. This was with my old Ds body. The K10D/K20D should hold up much better, but I'd use a towel just the same.

The DA* lenses are also weather sealed, so should fare as well as the sealed bodies. You need not worry, just exercise common sense.
05-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been in light to moderate rain a couple of times with my K10D and have never had to worry about it. I did take a cloth to wipe it after returning to the car, but I'm confident of its weather-sealing properties. The K200D and K20D would be just as reassuring in this regard.

05-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I used my K20D and 50-135mm F2.8 lens in the rain recently at Disney World, and even used them all the way through Splash Mountain, including the big drop. This is essentially a log flume ride, for those not familiar with it, and you get pretty soaked at the end. I left it out and shooting all the way down, and this was the only time that water came in hard enough to actually get droplets on the front element of the lens, past the deep lens hood.

There were no problems whatsoever with the camera or lens. I only wish that I had the 16-50mm F2.8 lens... that's next on my list.

I have over 650 pics from the trip in my gallery so far with more on the way, if anyone's curious for more K20D photos... I took 4,035 in a week.

05-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i think that wet camera looks SEXY!! way to use a nude wet model. 8)

...so what makeup artist did you use to get the water droplets like that?
05-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've used my K10D in the rain with the 16-50 and 50-135 on several occasions.
And although I don't have money to burn, the first thing I did when I got my DA* 50-135 was to shove it under the shower head for a while.

The water resistance was just begging to be tested. If the camera still requires that you wrap it in plastic for a little rain, then why bother at all!!??
The water coming out of the shower head is not much different than large rain droplets falling hundreds/thousands of feet. (pouring form a pitcher or full blast from a faucet... well maybe some extra pressure there. but still glad to hear theK10D could take it.)

It is a nice feeling to go out on a photo shoot with the C&N folks when the weather turns dim. Most of them run for cover but I'm out in the rain getting some decent shots. (now I just need a water resistant flash).

06-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #8

I have both the k10 and k20 with no problems after shooting in the rain. Same goes for the d*lens,
06-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #9

I just shot a wedding last weekend in the rain with K20D 50-135mm, and not worried at all.
06-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I took 4,035 in a week.
Wow! Did your finger get sore from all the "clicking"?
06-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had my K10D out in the rain and snow, no problems but I do have a question about the * lenses. If rain gets past the hood and on the front lens do you wipe the glass off or does the coating allow water to dry without spots? Man, I'd hate to rub anything on the front of the lens of my DA* 300/4.
06-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I've had my K10D out in the rain and snow, no problems but I do have a question about the * lenses. If rain gets past the hood and on the front lens do you wipe the glass off or does the coating allow water to dry without spots? Man, I'd hate to rub anything on the front of the lens of my DA* 300/4.
I'd probably use a filter, Marumi makes a waterproof UV filter.
06-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Thats what UV protection filters are for.
06-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol Buddha, I know.......I just haven't sprung for a big one yet for the 300. Also I was wondering if anyone had checked out the "SP" coating of the lens, I mean, Pentax says it's ok, I just don't want to be the first to check it out:-).
I'll check out the Marumi Soccerjoe5........, ty.
06-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Like the other replies: my K10D & DA* 16-50mm do well in pooring rain.
Also: strong wind & sand on the beach didn't hurt a thing!

One of the biggest advantages of this camera / lens combination.

The only trick I still need to learn is how to change my DA* lenses in the rain before I buy a second one

- Bert