Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Extension tube malfunction?

I just de-glassed a vivitar TC with auto aperture contacts. I have been using it with a Takumar - F Zoom 28-80mm MACRO 1:3.5-1:4.5 and tonight it started doing some really weird things.

Whenever I tried to take a picture, the camera would shut off completely. I would try to turn it back on, but the only thing that worked was removing and replacing the battery. I was in Tav mode every time.

Everything functions properly when using that lens without the extension tube/de-glassed TC

Any ideas what could be going on?

Last edited by Zephos; 02-10-2015 at 10:28 AM.
02-09-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try it with another lens?

Try it with the contacts covered with 'Scotch' tape or otherwise insulated.
02-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did it work properly before you deglassed it?
Removing the glass should not have affected it unless the pass through connectors were damaged.
Try cleaning the contacts on both sides of the TC
02-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Sounds like it was working then stopped. Is the lens still in "A" mode? Are you sure it is shutting off or is it just taking a long exposure? You should be able to hear the shake reduction "sizzle" if the latter. That is if you have SR on.

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-10-2015 at 10:30 AM.
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It shuts down completely. It was in Tav mode so I controlled the shutter speed. I will try it with other lenses and see what happens.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 10:51 AM ----------

Okay I've tested it with my 50mm and it tries to take pics but it has no aperture ring so it just comes out dark

Then I tried it with the Takumar again and I realized that it works fine as long as I don't use the built in flash. If I use the flash, it does as I described in my first post. Why is this occurring?
02-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
If I use the flash, it does as I described in my first post. Why is this occurring?
What kind of batter are you using? Also, make sure the pins are touching where they are suppose to. They might short something when you activate the flash.
Did you disconnect the PK mount from the extension while you removed the glass? If yes, are you sure you re-connected everything properly?

What was the steps you took to actually de-glass this teleconverter?
02-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
What kind of batter are you using? Also, make sure the pins are touching where they are suppose to. They might short something when you activate the flash.
Did you disconnect the PK mount from the extension while you removed the glass? If yes, are you sure you re-connected everything properly?

What was the steps you took to actually de-glass this teleconverter?
All I did was tap the rings around the glass loose with a screw-driver and a hammer, then unscrewed the glass. That's it. Had nothing to do with the contacts. I did, however, hot glue some black fabric inside to prevent reflection, but I have a hard time imagining how that could cause what seems to be an electrical problem. The fabric is not touching or near the contacts. Some of the springy contacts though are protruding less than others.

02-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

The "A" pin should be slightly recessed on the lens side and stick out slightly more on the camera side then the other pins.

Does the using the flash without the tube cause the same problem? I can't imagine why cross circuited pins on the TC would affect the flash functioning. If flash functions normally without the tube then try taping over the pins as suggested earlier. Try taping over the pins between the lens and tube first and then just between the tube and the body.

What body are you using? Are you using the AA battery adapter? If so, what batteries are you using and what battery type setting do you set in the menu?

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-10-2015 at 01:52 PM.
02-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

All I did was tap the rings around the glass loose with a screw-driver and a hammer, then unscrewed the glass. That's it. Had nothing to do with the contacts. I did, however, hot glue some black fabric inside to prevent reflection, but I have a hard time imagining how that could cause what seems to be an electrical problem. The fabric is not touching or near the contacts. Some of the springy contacts though are protruding less than others.
Maybe you accidentally dropped some hot glue in a spot where is not suppose to be!?
Is not conductive... so it should not make a big difference, unless is wedging against something!?

The contacts should be more or less at the same level. If one is higher considerably than the other something might be wrong... how hard did you knock the ring? Is there a chance you might of hit something by mistake while you were doing that? Can you show a picture of the difference between the contacts?

If this teleconverter was working without issues in the past and started miss-behave after you removed the glass, something must of been knocked off by mistake. Have you tested the convertor when it had the glass?

Edit
Also, as "Not a Number" is asking... what battery are you using? I remember having a similar issue with the pop-up flash because of battery problem - nothing to do with a teleconverter... even though you said without the teleconverter everything is OK... but then it must be the teleconverter... starting to scratch my head now.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-10-2015 at 12:44 PM.
02-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It shuts down completely. It was in Tav mode so I controlled the shutter speed. I will try it with other lenses and see what happens.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 10:51 AM ----------

Okay I've tested it with my 50mm and it tries to take pics but it has no aperture ring so it just comes out dark

Then I tried it with the Takumar again and I realized that it works fine as long as I don't use the built in flash. If I use the flash, it does as I described in my first post. Why is this occurring?
Is the battery fully charged? The charging flash may be killing a bad battery.
Does it work fine with flash and that lens without the adapter?
02-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Standard battery that came with the camera. Flash works with just the lens. I may just wait until I get another TC and see if that fixes it.

---------- Post added 02-10-15 at 03:27 PM ----------

Oh and yes the battery was charged.