Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No Pentax in stores near me

Hi all

I live in the SF bay area and believe it or not there is absolutely no place anywhere that I have found that carries Pentax DSLR cameras! I purchased all my Pentax digital cameras (k30,k-r,k-x,k01) site unseen and have have found them to be exactly what I wanted. Until now.

I just purchased a k30 from a fellow forum member and it is a great camera but something bugs me about it. I chose the K30 because it is different just like the K01 was. I fell in love immediately with the K01 and figured it would be the same with the k30. But sometimes different is not better. I really liked the feel of the k-x and k-r in my hand but the K30 feels different. I know I can get use to it but based on the photos I am thinking the K50 would be a better choice for me.

BUT there is no place to try it out to see! So I have a request. Does any one have a k50 and is within 30 miles of San Francisco and would be willing to meet someplace to let me see how it feels I would greatly appreciate it. I work in San Carlos and live in SF and am often in Marin.

Anyway PM me if you would be will to meet. I can buy you a cup of coffee and a pastry

Jim

02-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to go to Shutterbug Cameras Shutterbug Camera Shops in Santa Rosa and Petaluma California CA - digital camera store, SLR cameras and accessories, photography equipment and digital photo printing stores in Santa Rosa, they have a nice - although not full supply - of Pentax gear. PM if you like.

I can't say if they have K50 there or not as I haven't been in recently. You can call them though.

Oh...also, I don't own a K50 (K20, K100ds, K5, & K3 but no K50). The K30 was a bit of a different feel for me and I didn't personally care for the feel of it. It is a great camera though.
02-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
San Jose Camera And Video

San Jose Camera & Video |

I have never been there but I have talked to others in the area heard that they are beginning to add more Pentax bodies and lenses. They have the K-3 and K-50 there. It is a long trip from you though, they are actually in Campbell on Winchester. Prices are higher than I would pay for, I always buy internet, but at least you can hold and feel a body and lenses before you decide.
02-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Target should also have the k50. You can always try one out there and then order online. Their website will indicate which stores near you have it in stock.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have never seen a Pentax K- anything in Target, only online. Target typically does have the WG cameras though.
02-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I have never seen a Pentax K- anything in Target, only online. Target typically does have the WG cameras though.
Pentax K-50 White kit 18~55 is In Stock at

Target
Napa North
4000 Bel Aire Plz Napa CA 94558-2835,
707-225-3016
02-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Target is the only place by me that carries any pentax gear. Even costco doesn't. My local camera shop has a few random used k mount lenses and maybe a few random pentax film cameras, but nothing current. Thank goodness for all the online options.
02-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I checked Target and they only have them in two stores both 40-50 miles away. San Jose is not too far so I might be able to do that on a Saturday afternoon. I am in Marin on Saturday so I can check the Petaluma store.

It is amazing that I live in the biggest city in the area, SF, and pentax can't get there gear in store there. Fry's use to have them but no more. Now a Nikon/Canon/Sony shop.

02-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, you are right....not too many places in the bay area.

I remember also, If you go to the wharf .....there is a camera shop there, across from Alioto's I think, they had some Pentax gear there. I don't know the name though, I went there a gazillion times, I just don't know the name...you would see it in that area....it is a Nikon shop but they have Pentax on the wall too. The last time I talked to the guys there, they are not very knowledgeable with Pentax, but like I said, they are Nikon guys,
02-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer...

you could just do it like I did.... order it from B&H, sight unseen....
02-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

A bit over three years ago I was in San Francisco. My wife was attending a writers conference. I toured and took photos for three days. My remote failed me. I found a large camera store near Union Square where I purchased a new "F" remote. They had new Pentax gear there. It was a five or ten minute walk from the square. However it was over three years ago and inventory changes. I almost bought a 16-50 DA*.
02-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think that was Calumet, but they are closed now.
02-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I knew blackcloudbrew would jump in with the store in Santa Rosa.
I personally have never been in any store that carries pentax gear. To me, they are an online purchase only. That said, amazon is so good with their return policy, you could order it and return it,or keep it if it is to your liking. Good luck