Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
wild tilt shift idea

It should be very possible to use SR and instead of tilting the lens plane tilt the camera plane aka sensor. And the same goes for shift, by moving the sensor up,down, left or right... The catches are that movement of the sensor would have to be greatly increased and thus the body would have to be larger, for tilt to work it would also need an image circle bigger than the sensor, and I have no idea how much a standard say 28mm lights outside the sensor. One solution could be to use a medium format lens, but short focal lenghts are uncommon to say the least. Finally you would not be able to use the ovf since it will catch the light from the lens, so you have to use it with live view to get a preview. With a mirrorless camera this would not be a problem.

Am I on to something or is this just crazy talk?

02-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure you have the right end of the physics. As you have explained it, moving the sensor up down, left right won't do anything. The sensor would need to be tilted from the vertical plane. There has been designed bellow cameras with massive photographic plates that did just that.
02-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I'm not sure you have the right end of the physics. As you have explained it, moving the sensor up down, left right won't do anything. The sensor would need to be tilted from the vertical plane. There has been designed bellow cameras with massive photographic plates that did just that.
If you are reffering to shift Imagine the sensor being stuck to i believe it must be the inside of a bowl and when the bowl rotates the sensor will move horisontally or vertically and at the same time change it's orientation some, so when the sensor moves to the right, the right side of the sensor will be further forward, towards the front of the camera than the left side.

Same applies for the tilt ofc but there is no sensor movement horisontally or vertically there is just movement forward and backwards.
02-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shifting via SR is already possible:

Sensor Shift In Action: Increasing Field of View - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'm still not sure it work. But in my mind it does, and thst's what matters, right?

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 11:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
wow I had not seen that, you could actually get really visible results with it aswell. As a matter of fact I played with composition adjustment when I had my eureka moment, but I found that it would not move enough to get the reults needed.
02-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, your tilt idea would work.

I dropped a bag carrying my K-5 with a large zoom lens attached, which bent the lens mount ever so slightly, enough to cause a permanently tilted focus plane (with any of my lenses), in the left-right orientation. It was quite obvious looking at any images I took. After CRIS replaced the mount, the focus plane is now back to normal.

But I am not sure how much the sensor would have to move fore/aft to achieve the intentional and exaggerated effect that most T&S users want.