Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 02:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suppose you're asking me because of this thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/243096-i-fixed-my-k3-tonight.html

Gratitude is an emotion, is it not?

So if the original poster thinks "gratitude" is important, then by default, they value an emotional response.

Emotional responses are personal, and no one can control other's emotions.

So to say one person's emotional response is invalid, yet solicit another?

Interesting logic, if the OP is looking for "gratitude".

02-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chikubi Quote
I could care less about it. My first SLR was a Ricoh KR-5 Super and my second was a Ricoh XR-P. Both used a Pentax K mount for the lenses. In my eyes Ricoh has always had a close relationship with Pentax, so who better to have purchased them? I have both Ricoh and Pentax history, so it's all good.
+2.. I have owned the KR-5, KR- 10 super and still own and use a KR-30sp and an XR-P. Ricoh has made some really well made decent feature laden cameras afaic. So Ricoh taking over Pentax from Hoya was one of my considerations when I was looking for a new system. Especially coming from a Mfg. that all but abandoned their dslr market.
02-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I personally feel, supporting Ricoh is supporting Pentax. No other complaint I've read here has struck me like this one, I usually just shake my head and laugh.
True, and - believe it or not - I even think Hoya deserves some praise for saving my beloved (since 1981) PENTAX brand at a time, where it was not at all certain that it would survive. Hoya gave me the K-5 and the O-GPS1 and others got the the 645D, the Q and then some more great and innovative products. So yes, thank you to RICOH for a continued and reinforced dedication to develop and position the PENTAX brand.

Only this: I belive we were some a while ago that had the nagging fear that 'PENTAX' might completely dissapear as a brand-name. Subtle changes in division- and product names are often first signs of a longer-term strategy towards a complete absorption and incorporation of acquired technology into the new owners' own brands and product lines. And that would have been "unbearable" for some of us.

Surely, that is purely emotional, but the value of brand-loyalty should not be underestimated. Anyway, and fortunately, that fear seems to be history now.......
02-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What everyone forgets is that it has NOTHING to do with Ricoh.

The individual Pentax engineers are to thank.

Those people, are the ones that had the skills and determination to stay with the company and make products that the bean counters at Ricoh kept around.

They are the ones that convinced Ricoh of the vision of Pentax.

Like us, they probably took ridicule for "staying around" when other camera firms could have boosted their careers.

It's not some kind of "charity" case where Ricoh "deserves" anything.

As I have said all along, I owe gratitude to the Pentax engineers through thick and thin, who stayed the course and had enough Pentaxian drive to survive.

I give thanks to them, they just happen to be employed by Ricoh, who understood, that for the most part leave the engineers alone to do their "Pentax things".

Ricoh finally may be understanding that it was never the Pentax engineers that crippled Pentax but the bean counters.

So if I am giving gratitude to anyone, it's the long term Pentax engineers.

If I could, I would gather them around, and buy them a drink, shake their hands, and be grateful that a Pentax in my hands today, is a "Pentax" that feels like one.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 02-14-2015 at 11:12 AM.
02-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Gratitude?"
For a camera brand and manufacturing company whose sole objective is to capture my money?
Come on, grow up.

My gratitude is expressed for my late father's neighbor whose freely given compassion and attention helped make the last two years of his life far more pleasant and humane.

M
02-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
"Gratitude?"
For a camera brand and manufacturing company whose sole objective is to capture my money?
Come on, grow up.

My gratitude is expressed for my late father's neighbor whose freely given compassion and attention helped make the last two years of his life far more pleasant and humane.

M
Miguel,
There are gradations of most things, emotions and human interactions included. It sounds that your father's neighbor is a generous human being deserving of much greater amounts of gratitude than a corporate board of directors or a team of camera engineers. That is something we need to keep in mind as we get overly wound up in our hobbies.

I am sorry for the loss of your father.
02-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A big thumbs up to all concerned at Ricoh/Pentax. Sing, Ricoh Ricoh feeling or finer all day now Ricoh Ricoh feeling or finer all day now.........

02-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first Pentax said Honeywell.........
02-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I suppose you're asking me because of this thread? I fixed my K3 tonight Gratitude is an emotion, is it not? So if the original poster thinks "gratitude" is important, then by default, they value an emotional response. Emotional responses are personal, and no one can control other's emotions. So to say one person's emotional response is invalid, yet solicit another? Interesting logic, if the OP is looking for "gratitude".
Asking you because of your thread? No. Not at all. I actually haven't read that thread until now and only partially. Still good attempt to personalize this.

Controlling the emotions of others. Need I remind you that not too long ago you proceeded to scold me for having a horrible studio experience, that you didn't even fully understand.

Looking for gratitude? Nope! Not really. "Where's the gratitude?" in this incident is meant to be more of a statement than an actual question. Alluding to the lack there of.
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
What everyone forgets is that it has NOTHING to do with Ricoh. The individual Pentax engineers are to thank. Those people, are the ones that had the skills and determination to stay with the company and make products that the bean counters at Ricoh kept around. They are the ones that convinced Ricoh of the vision of Pentax. Like us, they probably took ridicule for "staying around" when other camera firms could have boosted their careers. It's not some kind of "charity" case where Ricoh "deserves" anything. As I have said all along, I owe gratitude to the Pentax engineers through thick and thin, who stayed the course and had enough Pentaxian drive to survive. I give thanks to them, they just happen to be employed by Ricoh, who understood, that for the most part leave the engineers alone to do their "Pentax things". Ricoh finally may be understanding that it was never the Pentax engineers that crippled Pentax but the bean counters. So if I am giving gratitude to anyone, it's the long term Pentax engineers. If I could, I would gather them around, and buy them a drink, shake their hands, and be grateful that a Pentax in my hands today, is a "Pentax" that feels like one.
I really wasn't trying to solicit an emotional response either, but boy did I get one, where a simply opinion would have sufficed. Because at the end of the day "I'm more than happy enough with my K-3" and though our views on this matter differ, I do fancy myself a Pentaxian.
02-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I consider myself a Pentaxian, but have no problems with the acknowledgement of Ricoh on the back of products they produce. I actually feel they should be praised, as we are all aware of the role Ricoh has played in owning Pentax and the releasing of new products and improved technology on a constant basis now. And of course we won't forget the Pentax FF being made possible by Ricoh. I personally feel, supporting Ricoh is supporting Pentax. No other complaint I've read here has struck me like this one, I usually just shake my head and laugh.

I am very much aligned with you on this. I feel that Ricoh is a very good company and are doing a great job with a wonderful camera name. It is certainly okay by me that we see a few Ricoh names a few places. I just hope that the K mount continues and that at least a few cameras have some form of an eye-level view finder. Those are my two main "bigs".