Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Where's The Gratitude?

I have to ask:
Why does it bother some people so much to see Ricoh in little bitty letters on the back of a Pentax camera body? When nobody else really sees it.

I consider myself a Pentaxian, but have no problems with the acknowledgement of Ricoh on the back of products they produce. I actually feel they should be praised, as we are all aware of the role Ricoh has played in owning Pentax and the releasing of new products and improved technology on a constant basis now. And of course we won't forget the Pentax FF being made possible by Ricoh. I personally feel, supporting Ricoh is supporting Pentax. No other complaint I've read here has struck me like this one, I usually just shake my head and laugh.

So. With all that out of the way I ask; do you feel this way and why? Has anyone's view on this recently changed?
I'm not trying to debate anyone, nor do I want to change anybody's mind. So in advance,
Thank You!

02-13-2015, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't actually notice it on the back of my K3 TBH since I am generally looking through the veiwfinder!
02-13-2015, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never entirely understood that sentiment either. I've owned Pentax photo gear for years n years n years. A little over a decade ago I got into Ricoh's offerings (via the GR line, film & digital as well) completely separate from Pentax and since that time the two manufacturers have been my favorites bar-none (albeit for very different reasons). For me personally I just thought it was a bit hilarious - it was like two great friends of mine finally got together. I have no qualms either way as long as the Pentax line remains primarily Pentax-branded, which is what they've done and apparently intend to continue doing. Works for me.
02-13-2015, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4

I could care less about it. My first SLR was a Ricoh KR-5 Super and my second was a Ricoh XR-P. Both used a Pentax K mount for the lenses. In my eyes Ricoh has always had a close relationship with Pentax, so who better to have purchased them? I have both Ricoh and Pentax history, so it's all good.

02-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Don't know why they just didn't put "Ricoh Pentax", after all no one was upset about "Asahi Pentax" Asahi was the optical company and "Pentax" was the product. Now Ricoh is the optical company and "Pentax" is still the product. Hoya never loved it enough to put their name on it. Yes and Ricoh have been a proud camera and lens maker for many years - a perfect match. If the company had been bought by Nikon or Canon it would just be another Nikon or Canon model now, or worse still broken up and sold off, maybe Tamron or Sigma might have bought the lens business.
02-13-2015, 07:13 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must be missing out on something. Can someone please give me a K-3 so I can be offended too.
02-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
Don't know why they just didn't put "Ricoh Pentax", after all no one was upset about "Asahi Pentax" Asahi was the optical company and "Pentax" was the product. Now Ricoh is the optical company and "Pentax" is still the product. Hoya never loved it enough to put their name on it. Yes and Ricoh have been a proud camera and lens maker for many years - a perfect match. If the company had been bought by Nikon or Canon it would just be another Nikon or Canon model now, or worse still broken up and sold off, maybe Tamron or Sigma might have bought the lens business.
I've thought about this as well.
02-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'll be proud to have a FF camera boldly displaying the Ricoh logo. They've really turned the Pentax brand around for the better.

02-13-2015, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I have to ask:
Why does it bother some people so much to see Ricoh in little bitty letters on the back of a Pentax camera body? When nobody else really sees it.
All your answers may be found on this monumental thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-w...re-thread.html

Steve
02-13-2015, 08:26 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

As a long term Pentaxian (since 1968) I was and am...relieved...that Ricoh took over Pentax. I feel Pentax has a future...a good future..as part of this large Japanese company. So far, what I've seen come from Pentax since the Ricoh ownership, has been more than encouraging.

I've been impressed with the Pentax K-3, the 645Z, the new lenses...150-450, 70-200 and the upcoming full frame DSLR camera.

In addition to being 'relieved' by the Ricoh takeover...I'm also grateful.
02-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All your answers may be found on this monumental thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-w...re-thread.html

Steve
Note that Steve specified "ALL your answers...", not just the answer to this OP's question.
02-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
mee
Pentaxian

Some people invest their gear into them self and not them self into their gear.

Also, when one has a straight line view of how things should be, it makes it difficult for them to live in a world that bends and flexes constantly beyond their view. Nothing stays the same but it keeps going. I mean that is a big part of this life.. learning to move with life.
02-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Three out of the four camera bodies that I own that say Pentax on the front say "Asahi Opt. Co.." on the back. Brand name on front, company name on back. Yeah, it was Hoya Pentax for a bit so Pentax for short works. If it says Ricoh big deal, that's the company making the cameras now. Get over it.

Just be thankful that Canon or Sony didn't buy Pentax out - they tried or at least were interested. If Canon had bought them the K-mount would have disappeared along with the name Pentax. Sony probably would have phased out the K-mount a bit more slowly.
02-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I have to ask:

I consider myself a Pentaxian, but have no problems with the acknowledgement of Ricoh on the back of products they produce. I actually feel they should be praised, as we are all aware of the role Ricoh has played in owning Pentax and the releasing of new products and improved technology on a constant basis now. And of course we won't forget the Pentax FF being made possible by Ricoh. I personally feel, supporting Ricoh is supporting Pentax. No other complaint I've read here has struck me like this one, I usually just shake my head and laugh.

So. With all that out of the way I ask; do you feel this way and why? Has anyone's view on this recently changed?
I'm not trying to debate anyone, nor do I want to change anybody's mind. So in advance,
Thank You!
I agree!
The Pentax products have only become better since the purchase.

I still have a couple of cameras that have "Honeywell" emblazoned across the pentaprism. Never bothered me. Not now and not when I got my first Pentax SLR in 1969.

For the most part these cameras and lenses are tools to help us accomplish our goals. That might be to memorialize a time or even, or document a process. The text on the tool is meaningless. A second function might be for the item to serve as a sentimental reminder of a lost friend or family member. If that is the case who would care about what a NEW item has painted on it.
02-14-2015, 01:44 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Chikubi Quote
I could care less about it. My first SLR was a Ricoh KR-5 Super and my second was a Ricoh XR-P. Both used a Pentax K mount for the lenses. In my eyes Ricoh has always had a close relationship with Pentax, so who better to have purchased them? I have both Ricoh and Pentax history, so it's all good.
I'm right there with you. I have a long history with both brands and will continue to do so. Ricoh has done justice to the Pentax line. I couldn't think of a better company to continue the Pentax line.