Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K100ds white balance

Hi all

Out of curiosity--if I set the WB to manual and spot and just go ahead and shoot without callibrating the balance - how will the camera measure the WB? Hope that makes sense!

Tooh some shots in a reptile house recently where I had forgotten that I had set the WB to manual and spot reading and they came out perfectly.

Mac

06-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what you mean by "spot". If it's spot metering, that doesn't affect WB at all, it's purely metering question. If you mean setting in custom menu that allows you to choose between all screen and spot area for manual WB setting, that affects the reading ONLY when you are setting the WB! So, choose manual WB, press right to take reading and:
a) if you selected all area in custom menu, camera takes reading from all sensor area and tries to work out what is white (18% grey maybe) and calibrates hue accordingly.
b) the same happens as in a, but camera takes reading only from spot metering area (the circle in the middle)
So, to answer your question. If you have WB in manual, then camera is keeping the last reading and calibration. And it'll set the hue accordingly. It doesn't change it unless you intervene. If you made shots without recalibrating it, it was pure luck that the source of light was the same as during previous calibration...
06-01-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Axl

Thanks--you answered my question! I did suspect that I was plain lucky!

Mac
06-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very welcome in deed,
I'll always try to help if I can...
btw, glad to see another guy from GB