Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 04:10 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never thought about it but on the right does seem more natural. I shoot with my left hand under the lens, with the K20 I had to hold the camera in my right hand and take the left hand from the lens to change the dial. On the right you can stay in shooting position. The top LCD doesn't matter to me (I thought it would). I give the right side the edge, but it is a pretty minor thing.

02-17-2015, 04:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah the guts of it is that the mode dial changes based on the presence or not of a top LCD screen.

The main take away for me was that I didn't miss the top LCD anywhere near as much as I feared I might.
It's just not that necessary and seems such an odd thing to differentiate the 'pro' models. I now find the rear LCD screen much clearer than the smaller and monochrome top LCD, which I never thought I'd say prior to the k-30.
Coming from the *istDS to the K-7 and then to the K-50, I still miss the top LCD a lot. Mode dial position doesn't bother me, missing the top LCD does, I used it a lot.
02-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hardly change it and even then never on short notice, so I don't really care as long as it has a lock on it.
02-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think it is essential, you need to know at a glance what mode you are in.
The rear lcd screen can tell you that

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Just hit the iso button and use the rear e-dial to change.
That's two steps instead of just one.

I still think the mode dial function should be incorporated into the info menu, and then use the knob for something else or remove it entirely to cost cut

02-17-2015, 07:10 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't mind the mode dial on the left because the top LCD lets me turn the rear screen off. Now if the K-3 Play button could swap places with the unused Movie switch, I would have a one-handed camera.
02-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Plus one on this. I had used the K100D Super which has the top LCD until I got the k50.

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah the guts of it is that the mode dial changes based on the presence or not of a top LCD screen.

The main take away for me was that I didn't miss the top LCD anywhere near as much as I feared I might.
It's just not that necessary and seems such an odd thing to differentiate the 'pro' models. I now find the rear LCD screen much clearer than the smaller and monochrome top LCD, which I never thought I'd say prior to the k-30.

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 04:23 PM ----------

I liked having the top LCD but I can live without it. I hold the camera like you and going that I liked the change to the mode dial location. I do miss the Lens mm info.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've never thought about it but on the right does seem more natural. I shoot with my left hand under the lens, with the K20 I had to hold the camera in my right hand and take the left hand from the lens to change the dial. On the right you can stay in shooting position. The top LCD doesn't matter to me (I thought it would). I give the right side the edge, but it is a pretty minor thing.
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #22
Pentaxian

My personal take is that there should be 3x dials, one for ISO, one for Aperture and one for shutter time. Each should have an A setting, or you select a fixed value. Then you just need a switch for photo or video mode, and one for Auto or Manual focus and you're set. Everything else can be buried under menus, with metering modes only being applicable when you've got one of the 3 wheels/dials described above in Auto.

Personal pet Pentax peeve of mine is being able to select a floating ISO when you're in Manual mode. Manual should be manual, as TAv is presently another mode switch altogether.

Anyhow, I feel this is all more complex than it really needs to be, and I do wonder if the development of the mode dials etc is to follow the competition rather than being tremendously useful.

Rear screen wise, yes like others I came from the K100d, which had the top LCD screen, but the K-30 provides the same and more information, larger and clearer. I thought I'd miss the top LCD, but in practise you had to look down onto it anyway, and I look down onto the rear screen now, just by tilting the camera forward a bit. That's the only actual difference in practise, and the screen turns off well for me when it nears my eye with the shutter button half pressed.
02-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I like my top LCD and mode on left is just fine. To be honest, it is much better placement than on the right IMHO.

Steve

02-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #24

Man! You just threw me for a loop. I never really put any thought into it, so I guess it use to not matter. But now I want to know for myself and I no longer own a K30 for immediate comparison.
02-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I hardly change it and even then never on short notice, so I don't really care as long as it has a lock on it.
Me too.