Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mode dial right vs. left

Where do you like the Mode dial on your camera on the left, or on the right. I have the K-5 II and it is on the left. However, I noticed that Pentax has a few models like the K50 and the K-s2 that have the Mode dial on the right side. I'm guessing it would make it easier to manipulate with just one hand, but it looks sort of bunched up over there...

02-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Where do you like the Mode dial on your camera on the left, or on the right. I have the K-5 II and it is on the left. However, I noticed that Pentax has a few models like the K50 and the K-s2 that have the Mode dial on the right side. I'm guessing it would make it easier to manipulate with just one hand, but it looks sort of bunched up over there...
On my K50 it isn't tight or bunched. It reminds me of my Nikon F2 the placement of the shutter speed adjustment is similar. The K1000 is not too different either. Lots of room when you don't have the top LCD... but I like the top LCD. It is easy to operate while holding the camera supported with the left hand, easy to spin the dial while looking through the viewfinder for example.
02-16-2015, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is no side an option? I would prefer the mode dial to be completely omitted since the rare moment mine ever leaves my custom set User 1 manual mode is to go to bulb mode. I don't know why such a large knob on the camera can't be dedicated to something that needs to be changed more often, like ISO?
02-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Is no side an option? I would prefer the mode dial to be completely omitted since the rare moment mine ever leaves my custom set User 1 manual mode is to go to bulb mode. I don't know why such a large knob on the camera can't be dedicated to something that needs to be changed more often, like ISO?
I think it is essential, you need to know at a glance what mode you are in.

02-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have never had a mode dial on the left side yet but to me, I would prefer the right simply because it is next to the shutter button, and I am right handed. When I do get a K-3 or K-5IIS. it will be on the left and I will be fine with it, I would like to have the top LCD in that instance.
02-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Just hit the iso button and use the rear e-dial to change.

NaCl(easy AND simple)H2O
02-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cameras that have an LCD display on top have the mode dial on the left.
I would NOT want my top LCD on the left for sure.

02-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like it on the left, and if anything, I think there should be more controls for the left hand.

I'm not sure why camera manufacturers seem to make an effort to have all the controls operated by one hand (i.e., the right hand). No doubt that everyone has an occasional need to shoot one-handed, but if one needs to do this on a regular basis, then perhaps a DSLR isn't the right kind of camera for them.

Although I never tried them, I always thought the Sony lenses with the AF button the left of the lens barrel, made a lot more sense than using the right thumb for "back button" AF. Seems to me that AF should be operated by the left hand, since it would otherwise be handling manual focusing duties.
02-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like how my PZ-20 does it. The mode is displayed in the view finder and on the top LCD. It is selected by pressing the mode button on the left and cycling through the modes with the front e-dial. Perfect!
02-16-2015, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the mode dial on the right, but even more than that, I prefer to have a top LCD. So I guess I somewhat begrudgingly prefer the mode dial on the left because the LCD is more important. Can't have it both unfortunately.
02-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah the guts of it is that the mode dial changes based on the presence or not of a top LCD screen.

The main take away for me was that I didn't miss the top LCD anywhere near as much as I feared I might.
It's just not that necessary and seems such an odd thing to differentiate the 'pro' models. I now find the rear LCD screen much clearer than the smaller and monochrome top LCD, which I never thought I'd say prior to the k-30.
02-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

i rarely change from M mode, so out of the way is totally fine for me.
02-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah the guts of it is that the mode dial changes based on the presence or not of a top LCD screen.

The main take away for me was that I didn't miss the top LCD anywhere near as much as I feared I might.
It's just not that necessary and seems such an odd thing to differentiate the 'pro' models. I now find the rear LCD screen much clearer than the smaller and monochrome top LCD, which I never thought I'd say prior to the k-30.
I don't think I'd mind the rear LCD if the viewfinder had an eye sensor to turn off the rear LCD. The light coming off that thing glares into my eyes.
02-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I don't think I'd mind the rear LCD if the viewfinder had an eye sensor to turn off the rear LCD. The light coming off that thing glares into my eyes.
Half pressing the shutter button turns it off.
02-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd rather dump both the mode dial and the LCD and just have a shutter speed dial. The shutter speed dial could have an "A" setting for those who want it. Like the Leica M, Fuji X100 and such.