Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

How fast an SD card for K200D ??

Greetings.

Can anyone advise how fast an SD card I need to get optimal use of the K200D?
And if anyone can recommend reliable brand names, so much the better.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
Old Without Money

05-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'm sorry I don't know the answer myself but I found this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/28535-sd-card-buy.html which might have some relevant info or people more able to answer your question. Good luck!
05-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

Most Class 6/133x cards should be sufficient. You don't need to go out and buy the super-mega-turbo-extreme cards.
06-01-2008, 12:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Also there is a deal going on now that seems pretty good for rebates. I'll link to another forum (hope that's allowed) cause I think it might explain it a little better, but there's also a thread in the accesories forum here. 4GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC Memory Cards $12, 2 For $7 ea, 3 For $5, After $30 to $110 MIR - Forums

09-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Also try Amazon. I bought two Trendar 4GB cards, each for just under $9 each. They are Class 6 and work great regardless of single-shot or the 2.8/second shots.
09-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what max speeds the K200D can handle but i'll use any cheap SDHC (class6) for now and right now i have Patriots and A-datas and they work well so far.

Remember even with the battery grip, it's like 3fps LOL so write speed isn't a priority on my list.
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by expatCanuck Quote
Greetings.

Can anyone advise how fast an SD card I need to get optimal use of the K200D?
And if anyone can recommend reliable brand names, so much the better.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
Old Without Money
I have the GX10 but the same applies for any. I strongly recommend if money is not the very most important factor to stay with a name brand such as Sandisk. I recently purchased a 4gig class 6 SDHC card, just to have, because sometimes I fill up my two-2gigs and one-4gig SDHC, all Sandisk Ultra II class 4 cards. So anyways being class 6 I figured it would be good enough, well I did my standard test of timing how long it took the GX10 to flush its buffer to the card (shooting RAW) and roughly from memory the 2g class 4 cards can do it in about 15 seconds, the 4gig SDHC class 4 card is much faster and can do it in about 8 seconds. My new less expensive class 6 (faster speed rating) 4gig SDHC card did it in about 50 seconds. Yep that big a difference. It was so slow I could not believe it and I could not return it because I took of the label so if fit the camera better, the GX10 is real tight with the new SDHC cards sometimes get stuck but if you take the little label off they work fine. But the Sandisk cards you can leave the label on they are made right and dont stick. There is just too many benefits going with name brands.

Bottom line the class/speed ratings dont tell much at all, next to meaningless. I have done this type of test many times with many cameras and always the name brands are superior, I have even tested a 133X or something like that and it was not faster than my lower rated SanDisk, its worth the extra money and you will be Could you imagine going on a trip taking a thousand or so pics and find the card corrupted your data? Not me, for casual I will use my cheap card but not for serious stuff I value. Not to mention the camera performs much faster with name brand cards, dont have to be the fastest III cards but something like the SanDisk Ultra II will do you well or equivalent. I have never been sorry.
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #8

a good quality Class 4 card would be fine.

I use an Apacer 4GB Class 6, Sandisk 4GB Ultra II Clas 4, Sandisk 8GB Extreme 3 Class 6 and a transcend 16GB Class 6.

no difference in speed for any of them