Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This might be an over-kill. Manfrotto 475B Pro Geared Tripod with Geared Column 475B B&H
It does go low if you mount the camera inverted. It has a geared center column that I find very solid, even when fully extended.
No hook for a back-pack, not needed for stability anyway.
Just something to look at, best luck in your search.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-20-2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling
02-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter

055 has a hook

QuoteOriginally posted by Woodepic Quote
Hey guys, recently I have decided that I want to invest in a good tripod. I currently have an amazing travel tripod, but the head is not removable. Basically I want greater options.

I shoot a lot of video, as well as photos, and Ideally I'd get one with these features:

-Tall (165 cm ish)
-Sturdy (Able to mount 70-200 2.8, and pan in video without trouble)
-Able to go really low (I like the ones that the legs can basically go flat)
-Hook to hang backpack (For added stability)
-Price under $400 US. (Legs only)
-Interchangeable heads (of course)
-I don't mind weight

So far I have only found one option that meets most of these standards, it is the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod MT055XPRO3 B&H Photo Video but the one problem with this is that it doesn't have a hook. Ideally, the cheaper the better; more money to invest into heads. (I would be picking up a fluid, and ball head)

Any suggestions on tripods? If you have an idea of one that meets most of these standards, mention it! I really can't wait to hear your replies. Also, if you have any outstanding heads you just have to mention, hey, couldn't hurt right?

Thanks guys

The 055 has a hook built in to the top casting. It is not seen in the B&H picture There are three spaces between the leg pivots on the top casting. One has the knob to tighten the central column. Another has the "new" connector. The third has a loop built in the casting. I use a larger nite ize carabiner hook to attach my camera bag

Look at the fifth picture on this Manfrotto web page: 055 Carbon Fibre 4-section Tripod, With Horizontal Column MT055CXPRO4 - 055 New Series | Manfrotto

I have the previous generation CF three section version. It is a great tripod. The most stable of the five tripods I have owned. I've used my K3/K5 with my pentax 300/4, 400/5.6, and Vivitar 90-180 on it, all heavy lenses.
02-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
What I can say is that once setup you can't really notice differences between aluminium, wood or carbon fiber tripods unless you are doing specialty shots where vibrations etc may need to be accounted for.

Vibration always needs to be considered. Besides supporting the weight and torque of the camera and keeping the image where you want it, limiting vibration is the purpose of a tripod. Tests have shown wood is better than carbon is better than aluminum, given equal joint stability and similar diameter segments.
02-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #19

Tripod apron instead of a hook?

If your tripod does not have a weight-hook, get a tripod apron ('stone bag' - you fix it to 3 legs rather than to center column) and put your weights there.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The 055 has a hook built in to the top casting. It is not seen in the B&H picture There are three spaces between the leg pivots on the top casting. One has the knob to tighten the central column. Another has the "new" connector. The third has a loop built in the casting. I use a larger nite ize carabiner hook to attach my camera bag

Last edited by Prakticant; 02-20-2015 at 03:42 AM.
02-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #20

Original Poster
Alright. Thanks everybody for your input, and right now I am deciding between the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod MT055XPRO3 B&H Photo Video and the Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT 3-Section Carbon Fiber ALTA PRO 283CT. Is there any reason why carbon fibre would be a downside? I am looking for great stability, so will an aluminum be better in that regard? And lastly, why is the aluminum version of the Vanguard so much cheaper than the aluminum Manfrotto? Are there any major features being compromised in the Vanguard?

Thanks
02-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Vanguard AltaPro 263AT, the aluminum version. When the articulating center column is deployed at an angle instead of straight up and down, the pivot point doesn't really lock in place. It flops quite a bit between the stops. If this weren't the case, it would be almost as good as the Manfrotto MT055XPRO tripods. See if you can test one in a store before you spend the money on it. When using the center column vertically, the tripod is solid.
02-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Hey guys, recently I have decided that I want to invest in a good tripod. I currently have an amazing travel tripod, but the head is not removable. Basically I want greater options.

I shoot a lot of video, as well as photos, and Ideally I'd get one with these features:

-Tall (165 cm ish)
-Sturdy (Able to mount 70-200 2.8, and pan in video without trouble)
-Able to go really low (I like the ones that the legs can basically go flat)
-Hook to hang backpack (For added stability)
-Price under $400 US. (Legs only)
-Interchangeable heads (of course)
-I don't mind weight

So far I have only found one option that meets most of these standards, it is the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod MT055XPRO3 B&H Photo Video but the one problem with this is that it doesn't have a hook. Ideally, the cheaper the better; more money to invest into heads. (I would be picking up a fluid, and ball head)

Any suggestions on tripods? If you have an idea of one that meets most of these standards, mention it! I really can't wait to hear your replies. Also, if you have any outstanding heads you just have to mention, hey, couldn't hurt right?

Thanks guys
I would look at a couple of different points, add to this,

-a reversible center post. No need to "go really low" if the post comes out and can be flipped over, mounting the camera upside down
- a secondary set of supports that can lock the legs to the center post (this eliminates a lot of instability)
- you want legs that tighten with a collar, not toggles because over time toggles relax

No need for a hook, just add a short strap with a couple of clips. You can always hang the bag some how.
02-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I picked up a MeFoto A1350.

Its technically a travel tripod (heck, its right in the name) but it can hold up to about 17 pounds as per the specs (reality will probably be less than that). It folds nice and flat and from what little chance I've had to use it so far, its far sturdier then my string of budget crap I've used so far.

Has the hooks, and can get about as flat to about a foot or so at its lowest useable level and (this was something I deliberately looked for in my budget range) the head can be replaced if I ever see the need to do so.

The only reason I'm mentioning it is that they also make a sturdier, 'non-travel' variant and if the quality is anything like what I've seen so far, it could be worth checking into.

EDIT: B&H link to mine...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030831-REG/mefoto_a1350q1y_roadtrip_t...ripod_kit.html

02-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Alright. Thanks everybody for your input, and right now I am deciding between the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod MT055XPRO3 B&H Photo Video and the Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT 3-Section Carbon Fiber ALTA PRO 283CT. Is there any reason why carbon fibre would be a downside? I am looking for great stability, so will an aluminum be better in that regard? And lastly, why is the aluminum version of the Vanguard so much cheaper than the aluminum Manfrotto? Are there any major features being compromised in the Vanguard?
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I have the Vanguard AltaPro 263AT, the aluminum version. When the articulating center column is deployed at an angle instead of straight up and down, the pivot point doesn't really lock in place. It flops quite a bit between the stops. If this weren't the case, it would be almost as good as the Manfrotto MT055XPRO tripods. See if you can test one in a store before you spend the money on it. When using the center column vertically, the tripod is solid.
Carbon fiber vibrates less than aluminum, is lighter than aluminum, and is more difficult to manufacture, therefore costs more. The difference in cost between the aluminum Monfrotto and Vanguard is likely a branding thing. Manfrotto is like the Nike of tripods. I have both brands and they're very similar in quality. If I was wanting a nice tripod and was willing to spend a few hundred dollars on one, I would go carbon fiber no questions asked. Forum member Panoguy does most of the tripod testing for dpreview, and what I've seen of his tests and others on the internet, carbon fiber is hands down better at vibration reduction. Unlike Aquadome, my Alta Pro is solid. When I have the center column locked out at an angle it doesn't move. Maybe his is defective. That said you should read reviews of both and even look for video reviews on youtube. That way you can actually see them in action.

Last edited by geomez; 02-20-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: dumbness
02-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #25

Sirui ?

Yeah, I agree with you. do you have any you would suggest? I also like not having a center column, because then I can go lower.
Check with Sirui tripods brand. I got Sirui cf monopod and it's great value for the price ($89 delivered). I wouldn't hesitate to buy Sirui tripod.
On the other hand nobody was wrong with Manfrotto 190 or 055 models. I like cf but it's a little bit personal (water sports, salty seaside, frost temperatures).

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
- a secondary set of supports that can lock the legs to the center post (this eliminates a lot of instability)
This "secondary center column supports' are the trade-mark of cheap rubbish 'tripods' (added free to lens cleaning cloth) - or of very expensive video tripods (with geared columns).

Last edited by Prakticant; 02-20-2015 at 01:17 PM.
02-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Aluminum vibrates less than aluminum, is lighter than aluminum, and is more difficult to manufacture, therefore costs more. ...
Huh? Might want to edit that.
02-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Oh! One other odd feature of the tripod I chose - one of the legs unscrews, at which point you can unscrew the head, stick it on the leg, and have a monopod utilizing the ball head the tripod came with. I'm not certain I'll ever actually use it like that, but its handy to have.

Regarding a reversible center column, I can do that by unscrewing the bag hook and flipping it over, so I'm good there.
02-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Huh? Might want to edit that.

Thanks for that.
02-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote

This "secondary center column supports' are the trade-mark of cheap rubbish 'tripods' (added free to lens cleaning cloth) - or of very expensive video tripods (with geared columns).
Actually a very expensive aluminum leg tripod about 35 years old.

At maximum height of 6 feet even the very sturdy aluminum legs flex it is not nofpticible until you go beyond 400mm but i also shoot with a 1000 mm telescope every bit helps.
02-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

If u planning to use much ur tripod then dont buy heyvy tripod cos heyvy tripod u will want to leave at home