Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the IQ from my K-S1 so much I have sold my K-5IIs. I do still have a k-3 as my main body though.

Unless you particularly want compactness, or the new features of the K-S2 (articulated LCD, WiFi, NFC, etc.) I would go for the K-3 too.

02-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice. After working through a bunch of reviews on the k-3, I have decided to wait until the price of the k-3 comes down even more, and buy a k-3 .
Thank you all for your insight,

Igor
02-22-2015, 05:10 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My biggest issue with the ks2 would be the lack of LCD top display.

On my k3 the screen is switched off except for reviewing. So I use the top LCD exclusively to check my settings. That would be a huge factor in choosing between those two models, were I to buy a different model
02-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
My biggest issue with the ks2 would be the lack of LCD top display.

On my k3 the screen is switched off except for reviewing. So I use the top LCD exclusively to check my settings. That would be a huge factor in choosing between those two models, were I to buy a different model

I agree, that is a valid point.

Igor

02-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
Forum Member

at least for me the biggest advantage of the S2 ist the swivel-display.....something I loved on my old Sony R-1 and missed a bit with my Pentax dslr - even though the angle of view for the Pentax display is bigger than most other's....
02-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
3 K5IIs advantages imo - not proven:

- 14 bit raw files - better highlight recovery and dynamic range (KS2: 12 bit)
- 16MP sensor - better low light performance (KS2: 20MP)
- heavier body - balances better with bigger lenses
I'll second these, but I use my 12-bit RAW K-01 and that gives also great images. When iso goes up the advantage of the 14-bit RAW comes to life. The K-S2 will perform equal to the K-S1, but those test will come later.
02-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I don't know, it's a tough choice. I guess a comparison might be if you had a choice of buying a brand new Nikon D700 or a new D750. The new model offers some really neat new features, including a tilt screen, while the D700 is built like a tank, and more of a professional grade camera. Here, the K5IIs is actually available for about 80% of what the K2s is going to go for. I own the K5IIs and would have a hard time choosing between the K2s and another K5IIs for a second body. I definitely would not trade the K5IIs for a K2s.

There is a lot of excellent, unbelievably low priced old manual Pentax glass out there. I find that the heft and solid construction of the K5IIs make it an excellent camera for the stability needed to manual focus. I am not sure a lighter, less solid chassis would be as good. But being able to focus at waist level with focus peaking is fun. And convenient.

The Ks-2 is also substantially smaller than the K5IIs. This, combined with the new features should probably make it a more convenient and fun camera.

If were to list three changes that I could magically change/add to the K5IIs- without changing anything else- they would be:

1. Make it a little bit smaller
2. Tilt screen
3. Focus peaking

I guess, if the quality of overall construction is not that big a deal, the K2s is the way to go.
04-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I have solved my problem of comparing K-5 IIs and K-S2 by ordering the latter as well. I need two good quality WR cameras in any case for my guided and non-guided photography tours around the world. I am thinking K-S2's smaller size, screen tilting, scene modes, battery utilization of my K-r, and wifi will come out handy. If I don't like it, it goes to my children.