Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 06:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S2 or K-5IIs

Hello,
the k-5IIs is now on sale for 649euro I was planning to buy it but now the K-S2 is announced I started doubting... Will the image quality of the k-s2 be on par with the k-5IIs?

I'm doubting because of the wifi tethering and the video codec and maybe enhanced AF...

But still image quality is most important... but if I wait to long the k-5IIs won't be on sale anymore...

Any advice?

Thanks

Igor

02-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I suspect the image quality of the K-S2 will be just fine. I think autofocus will be about the same. But unless there's something I don't know, I'll bet the K-5 IIs will be a more rugged unit overall, even if the K-S2 also has weather resistance.
02-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the K5iis will be cheaper, I believe, when the K-S2 launches, and it has a lot of advantages, but if you want focus peaking, which is really nice, then the K-S2 might be the better bet.
02-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
the K5iis will be cheaper, I believe, when the K-S2 launches, and it has a lot of advantages, but if you want focus peaking, which is really nice, then the K-S2 might be the better bet.

Thank you for your reply. You say the k-5IIs has a lot of advantages, can you give examples? If I'm well informed, with the k-5IIs, you can dial in if a lens needs some adjustment for front focussing and stuff like that, will that be possible with the k-s2 ???

The problem is that I need to decide quickly because only a few k-5IIs's are still on sale and the k-2s is not yet reviewed

thanks for your input,

Igor

02-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe all newer Pentax bodies give AF adjustment option. The K-s1 has 'AF Fine Adjustment
±10 steps, adjustment for all lenses or individual lenses (up to 20 values can be saved)' so I am sure that will be carried over to the 2.

The K5iiS has advantages in more solid construction, switches or buttons vs menu for more common functions, top LCD display, available battery grip option and possibly better bracketing and shooting mode options.

Ks2 has wifi, focus peaking, tilt screen, selectable AA filter function.

Image quality between the two will be similar I suspect due to Pentax attention to that aspect.
02-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3 K5IIs advantages imo - not proven:

- 14 bit raw files - better highlight recovery and dynamic range (KS2: 12 bit)
- 16MP sensor - better low light performance (KS2: 20MP)
- heavier body - balances better with bigger lenses
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The K5IIs performance level is excellent. If you purchased one you would not be disappointed. I have one that I use with a Sigma 150-500 for Pentax, and the image quality/sharpness and iso performance are outstanding. In my opinion, the K5IIs is one of the best cameras that are on the market. I am waiting for the full frame to reveal itself before I consider another camera.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-19-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Edit
02-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #8

C_Jones ... I don't think the K-S2 is going to be full frame.
02-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input.
And acoufap, thank you for pointing out that the k-5IIs has 14bit raw, that is an important difference.

Any other thoughts someone,

Thanks,

Igor
02-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought K-5 IIs during Black Friday discounts, and I think it's the best camera for the money, ever.

High ISO is great, ergonomics are great, image quality is amazing, more so if you shoot RAW. I also love the battery grip, which you don't have with K-S2.

Now, if you see yourself shooting video and using WiFi / NFC , using your android phone to control the camera etc, then K-S2 is your camera. New kit lens looks promising as well.
02-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
C_Jones ... I don't think the K-S2 is going to be full frame.
No, the K-S2 is APS-C. The full frame camera is a different model.

I honestly think it's a no-brainer - unless the K-S2 boasts improved low light AF performance and IQ at high ISO, I would go for the K-5 IIs. The K-5 IIs is pretty much the best value for your money despite being an older model; it's aged quite well. If you really need wifi/NFC capability, go with the K-S2.

(Then again, maybe you'd rather buy a K-3 at this point if you're willing to spend money on the K-S2...?)
02-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote

(Then again, maybe you'd rather buy a K-3 at this point if you're willing to spend money on the K-S2...?)

I can get the k-5IIs for 649euro , the k-3 for 986euro , the k-s2 on preorder on the belgian Pentax site for 699

so the k-3 is still about 300euro more expensive, and I'm a bit afraid the k-3 will be to complex for me...

Thanks everybody for the input so far,

Igor
02-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some lessons I've learn from older people.

Never buy the first production run of a product. Wait until the manufacture receive the feedback from the users, and make the proper adjustments. And also some adjustments of the price.

Between K-5 IIs and KS-2 there are not only a 3 year gap in time, but also, some enhances, for video, and others. But also some negative points from my perspective, like the size, which is to small, and the lack of a vertical grip.

So, I would wait a couple of month or more.
02-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentigor Quote
Hello,
the k-5IIs is now on sale for 649euro I was planning to buy it but now the K-S2 is announced I started doubting... Will the image quality of the k-s2 be on par with the k-5IIs?

I'm doubting because of the wifi tethering and the video codec and maybe enhanced AF...

But still image quality is most important... but if I wait to long the k-5IIs won't be on sale anymore...

Any advice?

Thanks

Igor

Good question, I'm going to sit back and listen to all the replies, because I got a K5-II but the K-S2 makes me wonder...
02-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The everyday image quality from the k-s2's sensor is a little better. However, thanks to the k5's higher bit depth, it'll continue to deliver a little more dynamic range and also slightly less noise. The k-3 would be the most direct upgrade IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: