Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I'm using M ratio - and really love it. I use it to trigger my big Auto flash using a Wein HS optical slave. Both flashes can use a card flash modifier that directs light softly, or even with some ceiling bounce (not so much with the on-board, of course). The modifier for the on-board is a Joe Demb DeLuxe Pop-It - great device. As mentioned the M ratio can go down to 1/128 (contributing practically no light) - yet will trigger the external flash held off camera (with optical slave). A lot of great light shaping is the result - the variety is nearly unlimited (especially so if you have a nice white ceiling available within 10 feet).

Best of all, you get instant trigger. No pTTL delay, no pre-flash problems, no blinkies, no extra radio batteries or channel settings to worry about. A dream for all strobists. Totally KiSS.

02-26-2015, 02:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I wouldn't sweat the lack of a hard AF.C button. How often would you be changing it, anyways? All I know is that I have changed it by mistake on my older cameras, and who knows how long it took for me to notice it. Putting it in menus was a smart move IMHO. Unless you really need swivel, I don't see enough difference between the two models you are considering. A big advantage not mentioned, though, is that the K-S2 has M ratio for the on-board flash (a K-3 feature I really like). If you want to work around pTTL, this a very nice little feature - especially if you plan to use the on-board for a Master/Controller of an external flash.

Of course, you can get the K-3 for a few bucks more than the K-S2 - and if you "move" your older equipment, the K-3 will fetch far more than the K-S2 in the used market down the road.

The only button I wish I do have, which the K-30/50 and S2 don't have, is the separate button for back AF. My K-30 has a combo button to either have an AE lock or back AF, which I love using much better than using the shutter button. Because of this, I would consider the 5IIS since it is also cheaper these days too.
04-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I am getting K-S2 very soon, probably ordering in next couple of days. The camera looks great and I need an additional camera to keep my Pentax DA 15 mm on it for all the times haha.
04-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #19

K-S2 is a great entry level DSLR, I think K-S2 is better

04-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #20
Forum Member

Can anyone tell me if the Pentax K-S2 has visible AF points in viewfinder? TIA
04-08-2015, 05:58 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
Can anyone tell me if the Pentax K-S2 has visible AF points in viewfinder? TIA
Yes, the only recent Pentax bodies that do not are the K-m, K-x, and K-500.
04-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexL Quote
I love my K-50, it's such a fun camera, and it's had a fantastic but very rough year (broke the weather seal, shorted out the flash, etc). I was thinking of replacing it with another K-50 since the price has dropped a lot, but now the K-S2 has been announced. It's specs look more like a K-50 replacement than a K-S1 one. There are a few non-improvement differences vs the K-50 that don't bother me, like the slightly slower shooting speed (5.4 vs 6 fps) and no AA battery support. Then there's the removal of AF.C mode from the AF switch (presumably now an menu-only setting), which does bug me a little. Are there other differences that don't seem like an improvement from the K-50?

I'm likely going to get the K-S2 anyway since it's other specs are such an improvement, like SAFOX X for low light AF, the swivel screen could be great for macro work in weird angles, and UHS-1 might speed up the shooting when the buffer fills. Can't wait to see the initial reviews. Thanks.
I love my K-50, my K-50 is The best Cam.

04-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yes, the only recent Pentax bodies that do not are the K-m, K-x, and K-500.
Thank you, I just wanted to be double sure. I have a K-X and didn't think it was that big of a deal at first, but over time I came to realize that the visible AF points can come in very handy.
04-08-2015, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-X and didn't think it was that big of a deal at first, but over time I came to realize that the visible AF points can come in very handy.
Although I mostly shoot center AF, I have learned to even appreciate it for that. I often shoot in very dim conditions and have no idea what I'm aiming at till I see the focus point indicator light up so I know what the center of the viewfinder is
04-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #25
Forum Member

My apologies to the OP, because I know it's off-topic, but thought I'd share this for anyone interested in seeing a Nikon D5500 vs Pentax K-S2 comparison (DigitalRev TV)

04-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes, it rather is off-topic.
And was posted already in it's own thread, as it should be..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/292662-digitalrev-tv...-vs-d5500.html
04-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, it rather is off-topic.
And was posted already in it's own thread, as it should be..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/292662-digitalrev-tv...-vs-d5500.html
Check that post time. It was either posted just seconds before or seconds after my own. As for whether or not I should have posted it in its own thread...probably, but too late now.

Last edited by imno007; 04-08-2015 at 04:26 PM.
04-09-2015, 05:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Check that post time. It was either posted just seconds before or seconds after my own. As for whether or not I should have posted it in its own thread...probably, but too late now.
I think you'll find there is an hour difference between your post and the thread I linked to.
I'd read and viewed the earlier post nearly an hour before you posted, hence my comment.
What were you looking at to calculate just 'seconds' ??
04-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think you'll find there is an hour difference between your post and the thread I linked to.
I'd read and viewed the earlier post nearly an hour before you posted, hence my comment.
What were you looking at to calculate just 'seconds' ??
I was looking at the thread creation time, which when I looked ( I double-checked) said 3 hours ago for both posts. As far as I can tell, it doesn't give you the exact minute and second except for last posts, so I was going off the 3 hour mark - and the fact that I hadn't seen the other thread beforehand. Now it's showing the hour difference, so apparently the system isn't reliable 100% of the time for instantaneous updates - maybe took till the next cron job to make the correct adjustment. In any case, if we keep having this discussion about my off-topic post, we'll really be going off-topic, so let's just leave at it is what it is. No big deal in my book. I already apologized to the OP for it, if it bothered him. And I've run my own forums, and I can tell you it would be a very small matter to me indeed. If a post really bothers me, I delete it or move it, otherwise people can assume I don't much care. And if the OP cares, he can say something.