Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

K-S2 vs K-50

I love my K-50, it's such a fun camera, and it's had a fantastic but very rough year (broke the weather seal, shorted out the flash, etc). I was thinking of replacing it with another K-50 since the price has dropped a lot, but now the K-S2 has been announced. It's specs look more like a K-50 replacement than a K-S1 one. There are a few non-improvement differences vs the K-50 that don't bother me, like the slightly slower shooting speed (5.4 vs 6 fps) and no AA battery support. Then there's the removal of AF.C mode from the AF switch (presumably now an menu-only setting), which does bug me a little. Are there other differences that don't seem like an improvement from the K-50?

I'm likely going to get the K-S2 anyway since it's other specs are such an improvement, like SAFOX X for low light AF, the swivel screen could be great for macro work in weird angles, and UHS-1 might speed up the shooting when the buffer fills. Can't wait to see the initial reviews. Thanks.

02-19-2015, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the sensor is the same as the K-S1, you will have to get used to a little more noise in high ISO shots. It's "luminance" noise instead of false color, so it's easy to clean up, but it's different from the "Sweet 16" sensor. You should also start planning to buy a bigger hard drive...
02-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
the ks2 also has a larger viewfinder and a air gapless lcd (less glare). And a Mic input. No AA filter so sharper images though chance of moire.

but... no AA battery capability.

Looks like a great camera really. But the price difference is pretty significant - like almost double.
02-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The prices of the current K-50 are dirt cheap. You can get the red one for about $367 to your door from B&H.

That K-S2 camera does look really nice, but I'm going to wait for a long while before I get one. Probably 3 years from now.

02-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If the sensor is the same as the K-S1, you will have to get used to a little more noise in high ISO shots. It's "luminance" noise instead of false color, so it's easy to clean up, but it's different from the "Sweet 16" sensor. You should also start planning to buy a bigger hard drive...
Good point! I checked the K-S1 review and it is slightly noisier at high ISO and I do take many high ISO shots, but as you said it's not much and easy to clean up. Maybe the K-S2 improves on this, but I'm also willing to live with it. I'm already way ahead of you on the hard drive issue. I have so many photos now (I only shoot RAW) that they all live on an external drive, with Smart Previews in Lightroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
the ks2 also has a larger viewfinder and a air gapless lcd (less glare). And a Mic input. No AA filter so sharper images though chance of moire.

but... no AA battery capability.

Looks like a great camera really. But the price difference is pretty significant - like almost double.
Yup, more reasons why I'm considering the K-S2, however I was asking about disadvantages of the new camera, not it's many pluses.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The prices of the current K-50 are dirt cheap. You can get the red one for about $367 to your door from B&H.

That K-S2 camera does look really nice, but I'm going to wait for a long while before I get one. Probably 3 years from now.
The K-50 is dirt cheap, even for a new one, but the K-S2 has a few things that appeals to me, like the articulating screen for macro shots in weird angles. The issue is that I have money now, and I won't have much when I go to grad school next year. It's probably not a bad idea for me to consider a new body relative soon when I can still afford such things.
02-19-2015, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
The issue is that I have money now, and I won't have much when I go to grad school next year.
Strike while the iron is hot, Gerbilbox! :-)
02-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Good point! I checked the K-S1 review and it is slightly noisier at high ISO and I do take many high ISO shots, but as you said it's not much and easy to clean up. Maybe the K-S2 improves on this, but I'm also willing to live with it. I'm already way ahead of you on the hard drive issue. I have so many photos now (I only shoot RAW) that they all live on an external drive, with Smart Previews in Lightroom.

Yup, more reasons why I'm considering the K-S2, however I was asking about disadvantages of the new camera, not it's many pluses.

The K-50 is dirt cheap, even for a new one, but the K-S2 has a few things that appeals to me, like the articulating screen for macro shots in weird angles. The issue is that I have money now, and I won't have much when I go to grad school next year. It's probably not a bad idea for me to consider a new body relative soon when I can still afford such things.
Might as well. You only live once, right? Hahahaha!

02-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The issue is that I have money now
Then why not get a K-5 IIs now Higher quality body with great controls, best ISO performance and it will be cheaper than the K-S2 when it comes out. How much do you need that tilt screen anyway
02-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Then why not get a K-5 IIs now Higher quality body with great controls, best ISO performance and it will be cheaper than the K-S2 when it comes out. How much do you need that tilt screen anyway
I had the K-5IIs in consideration, but there are other reasons why the K-S2 is more attractive to me even though the K-5IIs is an excellent camera by all accounts. I do a lot of macro shots and as much as OVF is one of my joys in photography, sometimes the best angle is one too awkward to use the OVF so a tilt screen might be useful. I would like the AA filter simulator as a precaution. The K-S1 has a faster screwdrive motor so presumably the K-S2 would have faster AF on my lenses too. Honestly, if I were to consider the K-5IIs, I should consider the K-3 instead since it's price has dropped a lot too (although more expensive than the K-S2).
02-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wouldn't sweat the lack of a hard AF.C button. How often would you be changing it, anyways? All I know is that I have changed it by mistake on my older cameras, and who knows how long it took for me to notice it. Putting it in menus was a smart move IMHO. Unless you really need swivel, I don't see enough difference between the two models you are considering. A big advantage not mentioned, though, is that the K-S2 has M ratio for the on-board flash (a K-3 feature I really like). If you want to work around pTTL, this a very nice little feature - especially if you plan to use the on-board for a Master/Controller of an external flash.

Of course, you can get the K-3 for a few bucks more than the K-S2 - and if you "move" your older equipment, the K-3 will fetch far more than the K-S2 in the used market down the road.
02-24-2015, 08:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the K-5IIs in consideration, but there are other reasons why the K-S2 is more attractive to me even though the K-5IIs is an excellent camera by all accounts. I do a lot of macro shots and as much as OVF is one of my joys in photography, sometimes the best angle is one too awkward to use the OVF so a tilt screen might be useful. I would like the AA filter simulator as a precaution. The K-S1 has a faster screwdrive motor so presumably the K-S2 would have faster AF on my lenses too. Honestly, if I were to consider the K-5IIs, I should consider the K-3 instead since it's price has dropped a lot too (although more expensive than the K-S2).
If you're into macros, the K-S1/2 and K3 have focus peaking, the otherwise excellent K-5IIs doesn't.
02-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I wouldn't sweat the lack of a hard AF.C button. How often would you be changing it, anyways? All I know is that I have changed it by mistake on my older cameras, and who knows how long it took for me to notice it. Putting it in menus was a smart move IMHO. Unless you really need swivel, I don't see enough difference between the two models you are considering. A big advantage not mentioned, though, is that the K-S2 has M ratio for the on-board flash (a K-3 feature I really like). If you want to work around pTTL, this a very nice little feature - especially if you plan to use the on-board for a Master/Controller of an external flash.

Of course, you can get the K-3 for a few bucks more than the K-S2 - and if you "move" your older equipment, the K-3 will fetch far more than the K-S2 in the used market down the road.
I change to AF.C a fair amount, that's why it's bugging me that it's now a menu-only option. I can live and adapt with it but it's very annoying since I see no reason for the change, it's not like it's saving room since there's still a switch.

I do use flash but my understand is still pretty basic, so can you explain the M ratio?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you're into macros, the K-S1/2 and K3 have focus peaking, the otherwise excellent K-5IIs doesn't.
Another good reason why I'm not considering the K-5IIs since I do use live view every once in a while and focus peaking is one of my favorite features.
02-25-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

can you explain the M ratio
If it's like the K-S1, it lets you manually change the power level on the flash from FULL to 1/2, 1/4... down to 1/128, like the all-manual flashes. I haven't used it much yet, but I like it better than the -2.0 to +1.0 control for output levels. It's such a traditional way to control flash output, I'm kind of surprised Pentax didn't do it before.
02-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If it's like the K-S1, it lets you manually change the power level on the flash from FULL to 1/2, 1/4... down to 1/128, like the all-manual flashes. I haven't used it much yet, but I like it better than the -2.0 to +1.0 control for output levels. It's such a traditional way to control flash output, I'm kind of surprised Pentax didn't do it before.
K-3 has this as well. Very versatile!
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
K-3 has this as well. Very versatile!
I hadn't noticed it on the K-S1 until this weekend, when I was trying to do some trailing shutter shots. Then I wondered why I hadn't heard any buzz about it, even on the K-3. (May have been my fault for not following the K-3 threads very closely, except for the Thread-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.)