Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K20D/K10D battery grip with Remote Control-F inside. Saved the day.

We went to Tehachapi this past weekend for some R & R. There isn’t really much to do there but I always wanted to stop and take some pictures. We always drive by when we go to the Bay Area, but it seems we never have time to stop. This Memorial Day Weekend, we drove to Tehachapi and stayed in a small motel. Since the price of gas is so high here, we didn’t want to drive too far. ($4.25 per gallon this past weekend...ouch!)

My step-son is walking the Pacific Crest Trail and we met him there for a few day. It gave him a chance to rest a little, sleep in a real bed, and take a real shower. While he spent some quality time with his mother (my wife), I had plenty of time to go around the area in search of good photographic opportunities. I came home with at least fifty keepers. I will post a collection of them on my Gallery soon but I thought I would include a few here. Of course this is just my opinion…we all like our own pictures.

Many of the photographs required the use of a tripod and a remote control as I wanted to capture some of the wind mills with the blades slightly blurred to accentuate movement. I realized, once there, that I had lost or forgot my Cable Switch CS-205. I use the K20D with the battery grip and was able to use the Remote Control-F which is stored in the Battery Grip along with a spare SD card. Now…how many Companies offer this convenience in their battery grips? I believe Pentax is the only one. Even better, the same Battery Grip fits the K10D as well. You see why I like Pentax equipment! The compatibility with older lenses is unparalleled and the sharing of battery grip between the K10D and the K20D is a first. The ability to store a remote and SD card in the grip is an added bonus. Some will say that I could have used the timer function, but it's not fast enough for what I wanted to do and it's useless when you use the multi-exposure.
I hope you have time to go out and take some pictures. It’s relaxing and it relieves the daily stress.

Thank you for reading,

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 05-31-2008 at 08:45 PM.
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
We all like our own pictures? Not me! I'm my own harshest critic. That's why you haven't seen any of my pics yet. I haven't found any I would want anyone to tear to shreds worse than I do.
05-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeroyPK Quote
We all like our own pictures? Not me! I'm my own harshest critic. That's why you haven't seen any of my pics yet. I haven't found any I would want anyone to tear to shreds worse than I do.
Leroy,

You shouldn't feel that way. To this day some people critic Ansel Adams pictures. Did that stop him from becoming a legend? Usually, the people that are fast at criticizing other's work, have nothing to show on their own. So what if someone doesn't like your pictures. If you like them, that's all that counts, otherwise, why getting into photography to begin with? It has to be fun.

I for one would never critic someone's work in a condescending way. I would rather say nothing.
05-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #4

The BG2 screw hole is off-center!

What baffles me about the BG2 is that its tripod hole is away from the optical axis, taking place of the body's one which *is* aligned properly. Instead of all the praise on Amazon reviews and here, why doesn't anybody actually notice what's important for any kind of precise photography? How such a glaring omission could have happened? No, a remote inside doesn't justify it.

06-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For that matter, Ansel was a pretty tough critic of his own pictures, often returning to the darkroom several times over the years in an effort to better move from his "score" (negative) to his "performance" (print). No reason not to, until you're either satisfied or believe you've gotten all a file/negative has to offer your best technique.
06-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The following is a thread hijack...

QuoteOriginally posted by LeroyPK Quote
Hi LeroyPK,

Welcome to the forum. I woudn't worry about people tearing apart your photo. I think this forum is one of the most laid back balenced, and honest forums of any I have ever belonged to.

I have never seen a photo "torn apart". I have only ever seen constructive critisism. And only when the poster asks for input and critique.

So, hang out here. Look around. Share some photos. You use a camera and take photos? That makes you a photographer. Just like everyone else here on this forum. Be a photographer. Take photos. Share photos.

Unless you use a Canikon. Then we have nothing to talk about.

We now return you to the topic of this thread.
06-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
We went to Tehachapi this past weekend for some R & R. There isn’t really much to do there but I always wanted to stop and take some pictures. We always drive by when we go to the Bay Area, but it seems we never have time to stop. This Memorial Day Weekend, we drove to Tehachapi and stayed in a small motel. Since the price of gas is so high here, we didn’t want to drive too far. ($4.25 per gallon this past weekend...ouch!)

My step-son is walking the Pacific Crest Trail and we met him there for a few day. It gave him a chance to rest a little, sleep in a real bed, and take a real shower. While he spent some quality time with his mother (my wife), I had plenty of time to go around the area in search of good photographic opportunities. I came home with at least fifty keepers. I will post a collection of them on my Gallery soon but I thought I would include a few here. Of course this is just my opinion…we all like our own pictures.

Many of the photographs required the use of a tripod and a remote control as I wanted to capture some of the wind mills with the blades slightly blurred to accentuate movement. I realized, once there, that I had lost or forgot my Cable Switch CS-205. I use the K20D with the battery grip and was able to use the Remote Control-F which is stored in the Battery Grip along with a spare SD card. Now…how many Companies offer this convenience in their battery grips? I believe Pentax is the only one. Even better, the same Battery Grip fits the K10D as well. You see why I like Pentax equipment! The compatibility with older lenses is unparalleled and the sharing of battery grip between the K10D and the K20D is a first. The ability to store a remote and SD card in the grip is an added bonus. Some will say that I could have used the timer function, but it's not fast enough for what I wanted to do and it's useless when you use the multi-exposure.
I hope you have time to go out and take some pictures. It’s relaxing and it relieves the daily stress.

Thank you for reading,
Just several more reasons to shoot Pentax. Compatibility - what a lovely word. That BG storage option is fantastic and apart from the comfort of the grip, keeping the remote and a spare card is a real boon!!.

06-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks. Once I finish some client taxes I'll dig up some of mine to post, maybe even some bad ones so I can learn.
06-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote

Thank you for reading,
Yep, the remote storage in the grip is genius. That's where mine is all the time. The only complaint that I have about the grip (and it's minor), is that I wish the SD slot actually functioned as a second card for the camera - and not just for storage. Again, it's a minor complaint.

c[_]
06-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Yep, the remote storage in the grip is genius. That's where mine is all the time. The only complaint that I have about the grip (and it's minor), is that I wish the SD slot actually functioned as a second card for the camera - and not just for storage. Again, it's a minor complaint.

c[_]
That's a minor complaint that I share with you.
06-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote

c[_]
That is a real good idea. ARE YOU LISTENING PENTAX?
You know, Pentax's marketing people are looking at this and other forums regularly. I can tell you that if the same subject comes on time after time, if it's technologically possible, they work at integrating such ideas in future cameras.

While we are at it, it would be nice to have two SDHC slots with capability of using both for saving files or saving RAW on one card and JPEG on the other.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque