Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
As with most consumer electronics, whatever you buy is already superseded as a new model is always around the corner. My policy in most things is not to get the very first release of a new model but wait till all the wrinkles are sorted out. I then look to what I can reasonably afford and then go for a bit extra and get the next model up. In terms of model release, I usually skip a generation or two. ie. I bought K-7, skipped K-5, seriously considering K-3. I will now probably now not upgrade until the FF is released as I would want to look at it before making a decision.
May be a good money saving strategy... but you have been using the k-7 for so many years? you must be very satisfied with your photos then.. I agree with you as my strategy is similar and not to buy anything when it is initially released.... wait until the next generation comes out before making a purchase of previously released model. But a k-3 compared to k-7... a much better camera that you have missed all this time while you are waiting for the FF.

03-02-2015, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dokdirt Quote
(please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot) Ok this comment is more looking for an opinion. I currently have a K20D looking for an upgrade.
So here is my quandary. K3 or the K-S2?
I think it would have been better to start your own thread But OK

For me, the answer is K3. Dual controls, top display; just like the K20D.
Alternatives are the K50 (no top display) or the K5/IIs (slightly worse AF as far as I know); both still available new.
03-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Best time for an upgrade?

When your current camera dies, of course!

Alternatively, when you need a feature or quality level that your current camera does not support. With me, that took a full seven years to occur.

Steve
03-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #19

sterretje, thanks. been looking at the differences, and the amount of control you get with the k3 is so much better.

03-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe I have enough heartbeats left to wait toooooo long for things I desire (once I work out if I really desire/want it)...... affordability aside of course.