Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Best time for a camera upgrade

For the last 20 year, I bought several cameras (film first, then digital). The first digital cam was a Nikon Coolpix 2100 2.5Mpixels, I was quite happy with it except for the battery life. After a few years I found that most cameras had higher resolution so I bought the Canon Powershot 710 IS (7Mpix). IS was nice to have, but after a couple of years of use I was not impressed by the IQ versus the Nikon; then I compared sensor sizes of different canon product lines... and figured out that Canon where running two product lines of compact cameras with let's say 3 camera models for each product line (one cheapest, one mid range price, one higher priced) with the same sensor inside the cameras of the same line. So, the Powershot 710 IS was actually the mid priced of the product line with the smaller sensor inside.... realizing that I should have bought the low priced camera from the other product line having a larger sensor.

Then I bought the K200D... that one was a good deal, it was basically the same as a software limited K10.
Then bought the K-5 and K-3 but I realized it would have been better to not buy the K-5, buy a K-5iis and wait for the FF. So , it seems that I've done the wrong choice again.

What is your approach regarding camera upgrades ? How to jump on the right wagon ?

02-21-2015, 12:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As with most consumer electronics, whatever you buy is already superseded as a new model is always around the corner. My policy in most things is not to get the very first release of a new model but wait till all the wrinkles are sorted out. I then look to what I can reasonably afford and then go for a bit extra and get the next model up. In terms of model release, I usually skip a generation or two. ie. I bought K-7, skipped K-5, seriously considering K-3. I will now probably now not upgrade until the FF is released as I would want to look at it before making a decision.
02-21-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
it seems that I've done the wrong choice again.
Not necessarily.
You have had use of the K-3 since you bought it, rather than wishin' and hopin' that the FF would come.
As someone once said (or should have), 'the best camera to use is the one you have at the time'.
02-21-2015, 01:39 AM - 6 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I buy everything. Takes the worry out of it.

02-21-2015, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sandy, that has to be quote of the week (and I haven't read many, but that has to top the lot!)
02-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

You're a lucky guy Sandy. Good on you.

And yes, this has to be the quote of the week - agreed.
02-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Then I bought the K200D... that one was a good deal, it was basically the same as a software limited K10.
I disagree. IMHO, the biggest compromises on the K200D are the penta-mirror viewfinder and the single control dial. But it was a good camera. I don't
use mine much anymore, but now that I'm using a K30 ( which has a pentaprism and dual control dials ), I wish my K200D had been a K10.

02-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ah ok , I just guessed what was the difference between the K200 and K10 , since I do not own a K10. Thanks highlighting the differences.
02-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I actually do have a bit of a strategy for what I buy. First off it must show some kind of remarkable improvement over what I have. The K5 that I have was basically bought on clearance at one of those rock bottom prices (it was my first DSLR) but I looked at the K5II and the K5IIs and wasn't compelled enough to upgrade. So there must be something involved that compels a purchase.

Second is to look for deals. Black Fridays and things like that are a no brainer. But generally speaking I let the first batch of whatever go and then buy in later on in that camera's life span.

So my approach to this whole FF thing is to wait and see what they offer. Then when they release it let everyone else do all the trials and tests and stuff. If it's awesome I will wait until just before the next generation of FF is released and buy, otherwise I will wait until Gen 2 comes out and is on the market for a year or so before I consider the purchase.

In any case I have never been disappointed with a Pentax camera. I am on my second body already. What tends to happen though is the new wears off after a while and people start to discover quirks about what they have and then usually by every other generation of camera something is entirely different/more awesome enough to buy.
02-21-2015, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Skip a generation or two or three and then jump back and buy a superseded model. I plan to buy the FF in the 2018 Black Friday sale.
02-21-2015, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The people who 'upgrade' every time a new model comes always claim they photograph fast moving sports in dimly lit coal cellars full of black cats and need to make 60"x40" prints that will be viewed from a maximum distance of 12".
02-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I upgrade if there is a serious benefit: K10D -> K5 for low light performance.
I might do a similar upgrade for my wife's K100D in the not too far future; possibly K-S2.
03-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

(please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot) Ok this comment is more looking for an opinion. I currently have a K20D looking for an upgrade. K20 has been an excellent camera for me to learn on but I'm trying to push my self out of my comfort zone of landscapes, flowers, etc. (Landscape contractor and designer here) Trying to get into taking shots of people street photog etc. The AF on the K20 is starting to annoy me because it takes to long, and half the time fairly inaccurate and find my self in MF mode most of the time (which isnt a bad thing). Already invested in the Pentax universe due to weather sealing as it lives in my backpack, on rock faces, and other not so "safe" areas for a dslr. So here is my quandary. K3 or the K-S2?
03-02-2015, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Skip a generation or two or three and then jump back and buy a superseded model.
This!

I might get a K-S2 if cheap enough on black friday in 2017 or 2018.
03-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Best time for upgrade it's easy... when you have the money to and there is a camera good enough for you to warrant an upgrade. I'm still sitting here with my K-30 just because I've not felt that any camera yet warrants an upgrade...