Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Here are some of the sorts of photography I do.

The difference between a K-5 and a K-3 was important to me. (I have both, plus a K-5IIs in between which is an important improvement over the K-5).

I compete with amateur photographers who use IDx cameras. I want to get as close as possible to that performance without wasting much of my investment in K-mount equipment. I have already pre-ordered both of the new D FA lenses, partly to get faster better AF. I will be buying more D FA lenses as they are released, if they offer a significant improvement over what I am using. I am trying to get high burst rate and also reduce the number of missed shots.
Honestly if you are mainly after action shoot in day light and fast AF lenses and already pre ordered for more than $4000 of lenses I think you should not use a K3 for that. A Canon 7D mark II would have cost a bit more but still on the same order of magnitude once you factor the lenses. It would offer 10 fps (much more like the 1Dx) a much better AF support and the similar lenses to the DFA.

As far as AF is concerned, the K3 doesn't match at all the Canon/Nikon high end offering. We have no clue that even if the upcomming FF + DFA lenses the AF would be on same level as for Canikon... Honestly if I had to invest money right now on this assumption needing to make critical action shoots and not wanting to spend to much on an 1Dx, I would seriouly think of that Canon 7D Mark II.

03-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Honestly if you are mainly after action shoot in day light and fast AF lenses and already pre ordered for more than $4000 of lenses I think you should not use a K3 for that. A Canon 7D mark II would have cost a bit more but still on the same order of magnitude once you factor the lenses. It would offer 10 fps (much more like the 1Dx) a much better AF support and the similar lenses to the DFA.

As far as AF is concerned, the K3 doesn't match at all the Canon/Nikon high end offering. We have no clue that even if the upcomming FF + DFA lenses the AF would be on same level as for Canikon... Honestly if I had to invest money right now on this assumption needing to make critical action shoots and not wanting to spend to much on an 1Dx, I would seriouly think of that Canon 7D Mark II.
Thank you for the suggestions.

However, I have decided to stick with Pentax, and I hope the FF camera will do what I want.

We'll see.
03-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Thank you for the suggestions.

However, I have decided to stick with Pentax, and I hope the FF camera will do what I want.

We'll see.
Why not !

But then if your strategy is based on hope and you may end up with a FF with unknown specs, maybe with only 5-6 FPS. It could be 8 FPS, sure or potentially even more. But if you bet on this thousand $ in advance, the actual specs of this new body must not be that important.

After all we don't what will be the design in mind of this FF. Could be compactness, could be still shoots and support for a 80MP mode while on a tripod. Could ultimate AF and FPS too. Could be video.

We will see.