Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #1

K20D's built-in HDR feature--?

I purchased a K20D last week. I've skimmed through the instruction manual and navigated its menus. I could find no mention of the K20D's much ballyhooed HDR feature:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=585830&forum_id=80

for instance.

Was that just pre-release speculation?

Thx
-Gavin.

06-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #2

look on page 196 of your owners manual

Woody,
06-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Gavin

P.196 of the manual states:

QuoteQuote:
Creates an image that looks as though it is a high dynamic range image. Select from three levels.
The words to actually take note of are "that looks as though". To the best of my knowledge, it's a kind of pseudo HDR and not the genuine article. I think what you might be referring to is the EDR (Extended Dynamic Range) feature, which is something slightly different ! To use 3 or 5 stop auto-bracketing, see this extract:

QuoteQuote:
On the K20D, you can select 'one push bracketing' in the custom menu to accomplish this -- 3 or 5 frames with a single push.
Alternatively, you can read the entire thread below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/27190-hdr-autobrac...ght=HDR+images

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.
06-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As this is only a filter applied during in-camera post-processing, it produces in no way a HDR image. It just emulates the look of HDRs, may be flattening the mid-tone curve a bit, as does the Extended Dynamic Range function during shooting.

Ben

06-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

i didn't get it...does it have HDR or not? come on pentaxians who own a K20D,pelase do tell!
06-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The HDR on the K20D is a JPG filter like the other filters (B&W, Sepia and so on). It will change the contrast of the output JPG to make it look like a HDR photo. That is all the book says it will do and that what it looks like it is. The 200% D-Range is a different animal. There has been a lot of debate on this so some are not into going into this. All the book really will say is it makes it harder to blow the highlights but add a little noise to the dark parts. Some are saying the all it is doing is under exposing by about one stop then expanding the contrast to fill the high end. If the is what the camera is doing then they say they can do the same thing themselves PP. If the camera is somehow giving one more stop of dynamic range and you are just looking at the high end all 3 of these options will look about the same so one can’t really tell just by looking at this. If there is one stop on the high end with 200% D-Range is would look like it was under exposed by one stop. The only way to really know is to do a dynamic range test with a special lighted test target that exceeds the range of the camera. So far I have not seen this yet. When they do this test they will be able to see if the high end goes up with 200% D-Range then they will be arguing about where the noise begins and the detail ends.

DAZ
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
I guess I misunderstood what the hype was all about. I was under the impression that there was a new "single-shot" HDR feature (a set of bracketed exposures taken in quick succession or nearly simultaneously) unique to the K20D.

The HDR filter is just a post-capture simulation of HDR shots. The 200% extended dynamic range feature prevents the clipping of highlights. Bracketing will always work for any tripod mounted camera.

Thanks everybody for the input.

06-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gavin - The HDR feature you read about is real. However, it is an enabler for HDR photography, not a "do it in HDR" feature. You can set the camera so that with one shutter release, it will begin a series of bracketed exposures without you having to intervene to recock the shutter, change the aperture, etc. I haven't tried it but the setting is there in the Custom menu waiting to be used.
06-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Gavin - The HDR feature you read about is real. However, it is an enabler for HDR photography, not a "do it in HDR" feature. You can set the camera so that with one shutter release, it will begin a series of bracketed exposures without you having to intervene to recock the shutter, change the aperture, etc. I haven't tried it but the setting is there in the Custom menu waiting to be used.
What you are mentioning is just the auto-bracketing functionality, which allows to take a bracketed series with only one shutter release action. All the HDR must be done in post-processing. So it is only the remedy to one of the K10's annoyances, where you had to trigger every shutter release of a bracketed series manually (and often forgot, that you were still inbracketing mode...) It is ppurely a question of camera handling and will not give any superior or easier to use resulot, than any other bracketing series with the K20 or any other camera. To call that a HDR feature looks overoptimistic to me.

Ben
06-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi Gavin

Re your statement:

QuoteQuote:
I was under the impression that there was a new "single-shot" HDR feature (a set of bracketed exposures taken in quick succession or nearly simultaneously) unique to the K20D.
Well, you're kind-of HALF right ! As others have said, the K20D will perform either a 3 or 5 shot auto 'one push bracketing' sequence via the custom menu. You will subsequently have to import those resulting images into a digital editing software package of some description that is capable of processing HDR images. I hope that clears up any slight 'confusion' on your part !

Best regards
Confused (Richard)
06-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
So it is only the remedy to one of the K10's annoyances, where you had to trigger every shutter release of a bracketed series manually
Not entirely right, you press and hold down the button and the camera snaps away three or five shots as selected.
06-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Not entirely right, you press and hold down the button and the camera snaps away three or five shots as selected.
Yes, you can of course use the standard series function. But I rarely count three frames and then stop. The K20 is a little bit easier to use in that respect (but I haven't binned my K10 because of that…)

Ben
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Yes, you can of course use the standard series function. But I rarely count three frames and then stop. The K20 is a little bit easier to use in that respect (but I haven't binned my K10 because of that…)

Ben
With the original firmware, you had to push the shutter release for every pictures of a bracket. With firmware upgrade 1.30, you can hold the shutter release and the camera will count for you, id es it will take all three or five pictures and stop there, even if you keep on holding the shutter release. I think there was some confusion about the operation of the bracketting function in earlier post and I hope this will clear it up.