Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Finally I e mailed Ricoh who got back with me in a couple of days and said that it was just really slow getting parts there from the Philippines or something like that. I guess at least I know now, but four months seems excessively long to wait for parts, even if they were sent by tramp steamer.
My understanding is that is the case even across brands. If the part is not in inventory with the local distributor (Ricoh USA), the wait can be extensive. I know a Canon user who waited four months for a shutter part.

Steve

04-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #17

Camera came back damaged

I just sent a Pentax K5IIs in to have the SD card slot repaired. The slot wouldn't lock the card in place and so it wouldn't stay in the camera. Precision camera was quick to fix it and I had it back within a week or so. I was surprised to find though when I opened the box and inspected the camera that now the bottom corner of the metal is cracked. Hopefully Precision Camera or Pentax/Ricoh will resolve this issue but I just wanted to post my experience so far. Has anyone else had equipment come back damaged? How did you proceed? Thanks!

-Greg
05-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is frustrating. After waiting six months, Precision mails my lens back to me and it is repaired -- sort of. The lens no longer focuses to infinity (it's a DA 40). At the infinity hard stop, it is focused about ten feet away. I guess I'll send it back, but I certainly am not singing their praises.
05-05-2015, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #19

An update on my repaired camera returned with a cracked body: I contacted Ricoh/Pentax via their online chat and informed them that my camera was returned to me with new damage. They within hours sent me a return shipping label to send back to Precision Camera for repair of the new damage. I am now waiting for its repair. The status says they are waiting on parts. I'll keep this forum posted with any information to help others if they run into a similar issue. I did ask the chat associate what would happen in the event my camera could not be repaired to like new standards and he said the camera would be replaced.

-Greg

05-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

So, my K-3 has a problem, and I'm thinking about sending it in for warranty service-- the camera displays F-- no matter which lens is mounted, even fully-automatic lenses, and the autofocus doesn't work. Given all the problems with warranty repair at Precision Camera, do you think it's worth actually trying to send it in for repair, or would it be better for me to just live with the lack of autofocus?
05-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
So, my K-3 has a problem, and I'm thinking about sending it in for warranty service-- the camera displays F-- no matter which lens is mounted, even fully-automatic lenses, and the autofocus doesn't work. Given all the problems with warranty repair at Precision Camera, do you think it's worth actually trying to send it in for repair, or would it be better for me to just live with the lack of autofocus?
You should send it in. Just be prepared to call them and give them feedback along the way or, even contact Ricoh if they aren't taking care of your camera the way they should.
05-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #22

Just updating the status of my warranty repair situation. After having to send my camera back in for repair work on a crack in the body that was not there when i sent the camera in the first time I have received it back from Precision Camera. The crack in the bottom plate is now gone. They replaced the bottom plate and the camera looks as good as new. I had to wait on parts for the repair for a couple weeks but it wasn't too bad. I will say, UPS beat the crap out of the box both times I received it back from them. Honestly, both boxes were beat up more than any package I have ever received from anywhere which I found to be strange. Fortunately, this second time around the camera survived the abuse. All in all, my experience with Precision has been pretty good. I didn't have any communications with them directly for any reason. I just contacted Pentax/Ricoh through their online chat and they were very quick to help. The repair to the crack in the bottom plate cost me nothing.
05-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
I too just received my K-30 back - This is my first experience with Precision Camera and overall it was very good. The repair was a replacement of the diaphragm control block (aperture control) and included re-calibration, re-alignment and a complete cleaning internal and external. It didn't take too long, about 3 weeks. The quote matched the final price, which is always good! Correspondence was better through the website and the one time I did call, someone picked up after a short hold time. The cherry on the cake - VISA informed me they'd cover the repair costs, as an added card member benefit of extending Pentax's standard warranty. Excellent!

05-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Threads like this must lose some business for Ricoh/Pentax. I know if I wasn't already in this system I'd have second thoughts on jumping in based on this. I hope someone at Ricoh is aware of it.
05-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I keep reading this thread glumly. Luckily, with all my lenses and all their little moving parts things actually work amazingly well. I did have a good experience getting my 50-135 fixed from CRIS. The 16-50 of mine that CRIS sent to Precision during that changeover is the never ending problem. I've moved onto the 20-40, which I like a lot, or primes for that range. The lens returned from Precision so loose if I am it at the sky the barrel collapses, if I point it down in unravels and extends. So...last week I agreed to have a local shop, for an additional $115, take the lens down, see what they did, and dampen it. Before this is done it'll be the most expensive lens on this planet. We'll see if it works!
05-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #26

When my K3 had the "flippy mirror" problem, I initially attempted to contact Precision directly. It has been a while since I did it, and to the best of my recollection, I had trouble getting someone to answer the phone. I then researched a bit and found the Ricoh (not Precision) customer service phone number. Ricoh did send me a shipping label and I was able to get the problem taken care of quickly...About 7 to 10 days if memory serves. The problem has not come back since the camera was returned.

The big problem, in my case, was the fact that the first phone number I found for Pentax service was the direct number for Precision. If yours is a warranty related problem, I do not advise going directly to Precision. Maybe Precision behaves differently when Ricoh is making them accountable for work.
06-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
I keep reading this thread glumly. Luckily, with all my lenses and all their little moving parts things actually work amazingly well. I did have a good experience getting my 50-135 fixed from CRIS. The 16-50 of mine that CRIS sent to Precision during that changeover is the never ending problem. I've moved onto the 20-40, which I like a lot, or primes for that range. The lens returned from Precision so loose if I am it at the sky the barrel collapses, if I point it down in unravels and extends. So...last week I agreed to have a local shop, for an additional $115, take the lens down, see what they did, and dampen it. Before this is done it'll be the most expensive lens on this planet. We'll see if it works!
Precision does warranty their work for 90 days after they do it. The only thing is that you have to pay shipping to them, which doesn't seem totally right. If they fixed it right the first time, you wouldn't be sending it back, would you?
06-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You should send it in. Just be prepared to call them and give them feedback along the way or, even contact Ricoh if they aren't taking care of your camera the way they should.
What he said. Your camera is still under warranty and not getting it repaired is the same as not getting your money's worth. I won't dispute that some users on this site have had problems with Precision Camera, but my experience was positive overall with no difficulties getting telephone support. The only glitch was that Ricoh dropped the ball in not promptly authorizing payment and Precision was not proactive in follow-up. That resulted in a week's delay in doing the repair. My advice is to actively monitor the repair progress. The Precision Web page for that purpose is helpful. If the process stalls more than a few days at any phase, it is time to call them for an explanation.

This may seem like excessive bother, but is not unusual in the repair industry. Poor work queue control seems to be an endemic problem. Two years ago, I had a terrible time with Nikon factory repair in New York. My scanner went back to them twice for failed repair and got lost in their work queue all three times. The problem was never fixed and to top it off, they lost my slide carrier module (very hard to find a replacement) on the third attempt and then refused to compensate the loss. Even my local repair guy seems to lose track of stuff.

Good luck on getting this fixed and I hope you have many years of trouble-free use of your K-3 afterwards.

Steve
07-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

So how do I go about sending my camera off for repair? I'm not sure what address I send it to, and I'm not sure who to make the check for shipping and handling out to.
07-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
Site Supporter

So how do I go about sending my camera off for repair? I'm not sure what address I send it to, and I'm not sure who to make the check for shipping and handling out to.
You can start here:
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

or go straight to precision (address on bottom of page)
Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

Hope this helps.