Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
I bet the people that had that problem wasnt computer geeks and formated in NTFS .
Well, my XP Pro GUI doesn't allow me to format SD card in NTFS, however default choice was FAT32, not FAT. Probabaly that's why older cameras doesn't recognize card formatted in PC.

Last edited by Edvinas; 06-02-2008 at 05:58 AM.
06-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
"Deleting" pictures from the card in a card reader doesn't work for me at all. As soon as I pop it back in the camera, it can still see them, so I have to delete them there anyway. Formatting on the PC doesn't work because the camera then tells me the card isn't formatted and has to do it.
Now that's odd. What OS are you using? Are you dismounting the card properly? AFAIK, in Linux (and maybe OSX), changes to external media are cached until dismount.
06-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #18

Personally, I always use a card reader to copy the photos onto my pc, then after backing them up delete them via in-camera card format. I figure if there is any margin of error during deletion, etc, reformatting in the camera would be the surest way to get things done right.
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good 'ole Win2k. And I should clarify, as I just remembered that it does this if I do a cut and paste from the card to the hd. I'm not sure if it does it if I copy and then delete them. The formatting "issue" still applies. I'm not worried about any of it in the least btw.

06-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Barry,
The only reason for deleting photos in the camera is to free up space. I can't see wasting time deleting in camera and wearing out the switches. It is also a big time waster. It is much better to select those to be deleted in the computer where you can make a more informed decision.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
What ere the pros or cons whether one deletes their images from the memory card using the computer's built in card reader's drive or using the camera's delete function?

Thanks
Barry
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Only time I delete in-camera is when I'm in the field or on a shoot and have taken an obviously crummy image, one that cannot be saved. Otherwise, I download the images in batch to two computer hard drives, then delete the image folders, sometimes even the DCIM folder. However, I usually format in-camera when using the card anew. Never had any problems.

Can't ever recall a time when I just deleted a frame or two, then re-used the card.
06-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I usually erase files using the computer's card reader. I occasionally erase files in the camera. I rarely format but do that in the camera. I've never had a problem and my K100D is approaching 10,000 shots.

I have not formatted using a computer, though it should work. What the computer won't do is create the directory (DCIM on my K100D). The camera should recognize a blank card and add the directory if needed. I just have not needed to push my luck.
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #23

What i normally do is

1: dump to PC
2: memory card back in camera
3: use camera to format card

the computer copy gets copied again and i do PP on that second copy, all the original pictures go into the archive folder and i don't delete those..

06-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Why oh Why?

Right now in my have a 4GB card in my k200d and even if I'm out shooting 30 or fewer shots, I tend to play them back on the LCD and delete them on the spot in the camera instead of waiting til I get home and transfer them to the computer. Why? can't really answer that except maybe it goes back to my film days when I didn't want waste film and only shot what I thought would look best after I got back from the drug store. I've got to remind myself, "it's digital,it's digital, don't worry if the picture is badly cropped or composed,you can fix it later, you have space on the card for over 2500 images at full 10MP resolution, shoot away at EVERYTHING, your not wasting film." Four years after going digital, old habits are hard to break.

Barry
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Barry,
The only reason for deleting photos in the camera is to free up space. I can't see wasting time deleting in camera and wearing out the switches. It is also a big time waster. It is much better to select those to be deleted in the computer where you can make a more informed decision.

Dave
It may take much more time later to examine all your shots and remember which one you wanted to keep or not. On the moment, it is still fresh in your memory.

However, it will also wear out the battery, not just the switches.
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #26
PDL
Pentaxian

I delete images in the field if they are obviously poorly exposed or since I am old blurry due to me not being able to hold the camera still. (SR works fine unless you rock back and forth like I do).

Anyway - my camera bag has 1 8GB and 3 4GB cards in it, so I don't worry about not having free space.

My workflow is -
Take out the SD card with images on it - lock the SD card - put it in the bag.
Take out another SD card - check to see if it is locked, if it is not locked - put it in the camera and format it.
blast away.

When back at my base camp - I copy the locked SD card(s) to my wolverine portable HD. (Look Ma - no laptop needed) When I get home I copy the contents of the Wolverine to my PC - and if I am being smart - burn the Wolverine folders to DVD's. This is all before doing any PP at all - unless there is something urgent I want to work on, or I am just lazy --- normal.

I have read on several sites that formating SD or SDHC cards in the computer is not the best way to get the deed done. Use the camera, the firmware is tuned for that purpose, while a OS is designed for hard drives. Oh - by the way - I have formated SD cards as NTFS in Win2K, XP and Vista, just to see if I could. (I have a IO something or another that turns a SD/SDHC card into a USB virus injector --- er thumb drive - easy to do, the OS thinks it is a very small USB drive)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
06-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I've used the following workflow since going digital in 2004 with no problems:

1) Download pictures to my Mac, with CD or DVD backups performed thereafter.
2) Reformat my cards (CF on my old N***n, SD on my Pentax) in the computer using Lexar's Image Rescue software.
3) Insert formatted card in camera, and fire away!