Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Which improvements would you like for the video mode ?

This thread is obviously mostly for those who use this mode, saying "video mode is useless I do photos" is also useless
I begin this way because I don't want this thread to be close as this one because of a big mess
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/204071-why-doesnt-pentax-t...ideo-mode.html

For me it's obvious that Pentax is totally out of the videomaker world. We are always looking for good DLSR for our videos and a lot of pro and little studio have enough money not to look at the price if the quality is OK.
And unfortunatly Pentax don't make enough effort to seduce them : the K3 is 5 years late with the it's competitors. And Pentax, because he produce medical video system have some knowledge about it, no ?
If Sony and Canon don't want to decrease their camera selling while offering a super video DSLR, Pentax don't have this problem, so why don't they give us a real video mode : I don't know, I hope they'll thing about it because it could help them to make the difference and grow their sells !

So let's talk about video : which improvements would you like for the video mode ?

For me :
- a HDMI 4:4:4 raw output would be a revolution and put Pentax in the place

- Of course, if a simple video menu with a lot of automatism is needed, a expert mode with a lot of option, something better then MagiLantern is absolutly necessary.

- A continuous focus while recording would be fine

(as you can read, I'm not naturally english speaking, I do the best I can )

02-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the most important features would be continuous AF (mainly for casual users) and improved video quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
You're right, improve video quality, especialy in low light condition, is necessary
And everybody would enjoy continuous focus, casual users as videomakers
05-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Been here, done this, ad nauseam, they're not listening, otherwise the K-3 and K3ii wouldn't be ballsed up in video.

Here's the list, in my personal order of what to fix first.
1a) HDMI output - TRUE 1080p in 24, 25 and 30 fps, with NO OVERLAYS, in record mode. 4:2:2 will do, 4:4:4: would be amazing. 8bit is ok, 10 bit is better.
1b) Stop the K-01 from only going to Play mode when the HDMI gets plugged in,.. It's the 'Video focused' camera, yet I can't record direct from it in record mode.
2) 48kHz audio sample rate - 32kHz is useless, should never have been used.
3) User Choice for Audio Out when recording - If I can't hear it on my external monitor, I've got no idea if it's loud enough or too loud.
4) Audio Level Meters on the LCD.
5) Sensor Shift SteadyShot, same as the K5 had,... It's still there for Stills, re-enable it for Video!
6) User Selected CoDec choice - Since the Mjpeg is still there for timelapse videos, let us use it for actual video recording.
7) h264 CoDec quality setting to Min 25mBits and Max 50mBits.
8) Mjpeg data rate to Min 50mBits and Max 100mBits.
9) Focus Peaking on the LCD during recording.
10) User level settable Zebra for exposure as alternative to the current 'Bright / Dark Area Warning',.... with out removing the current method, which is useful.
11) Improved AF performance.

12) DO NOT SCREW WITH the current IRE levels on the K-01 -> being able to record from -20 to +125% has saved my arse a few times.

13) HIRE ME and I'll guide the development team.

14) HDMI 'options',... Timecode in the signal, and Record Control - Atomos would probably help develop this if Pentax asked.

Sorry guys, but for Cinematographers and Video Professionals, AF is waaaaaaay down the list.

And seriously, if the HDMI wasn't as screwed up as my recent test showed me, I would buy a K-3 immediately.
As things stand today, No Pentax is right with the video, even the video-oriented K-01. Some are just less bad then others, and the K-5 is probably the best.

If the upcoming FF doesn't have all these corrections, and lands at around $2400 AU,... I'll buy a Sony A7s instead.
Heck, if the FF is more then $1800 AU without lens, the A7s will be much better value.
A7s is $2400 AU,... add another $2400 AU (roughly - http://www.atomos.com/shogun/ ) and the A7s +Shogun = 4K Video.
K-to-E Mount adapter cost me $25

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.
05-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't do video very much if at all on my K-5 - it's a luxury I play with occasionally, on the basis that if I NEED a video recorder, I'll use something designed for the task. But if I had only one "ask" from future Pentax cameras, it would be the ability to do what my cellphone can do and take a full-resolution still picture "on the fly" on demand at any time during video shooting.
05-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A cellphone does that by extracting one frame out of the sensor data before the video conversion - if it's possible on a DSLR / MILC, it would also mean that camera has the ability to send that full resolution uncompressed data to SD card or HDMI.
An SD card probably couldn't handle the data rate, but the HDMI chip should, if that data is sent out as the camera raw in the way an Atomos Shogun can record.
05-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
A cellphone does that by extracting one frame out of the sensor data before the video conversion
So that's how it's done! This would explain why such stills "on the fly" have a pixel spec and aspect ratio that differs slightly from the high-res images it takes in stills mode. Thank you.

06-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I still enjoy the ' sensor shift' mechanical SR during video recording on my K7. With the 14mm it feels like the camera is floating. Most people I've seen writing on the forums who have the latest models generally bemoan the loss of sensor SR for video .... The disease software solution implemented on the K3, K-s1, K -s2 is inferior I believe ... Is that correct?
06-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ummm, sorry...you can leave 'disease' out of my previous sentence !
06-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Global shutter. Full stop.
06-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The disease software solution implemented on the K3, K-s1, K -s2 is inferior I believe ... Is that correct?
You are correct, the software solution is a pox upon the vision previously corrected by Sensor Shift.

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Global shutter. Full stop.
No, several stops.
As in, Global Shutter sensors are Several Stops less sensitive then Rolling Shutter sensors.
The BMD4K and the Cion are said to use the same sensor, Aja claims 12 stops Dynamic Range, as does BMD. Subjective testing suggests it's closer to 8 stops in range, which is less then the 5D2 in Video.
Though it would solve the issues regarding sensor jello.
06-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You are correct, the software solution is a pox upon the vision previously corrected by Sensor Shift.

No, several stops.
As in, Global Shutter sensors are Several Stops less sensitive then Rolling Shutter sensors.
The BMD4K and the Cion are said to use the same sensor, Aja claims 12 stops Dynamic Range, as does BMD. Subjective testing suggests it's closer to 8 stops in range, which is less then the 5D2 in Video.
Though it would solve the issues regarding sensor jello.
DR means nothing if one's moving images are unusable due to rolling shutter artifacts. It boggles me that people are willing to accept that, unless shooting a non-moving subject, rolling shutter artifacts ruin the video. Motion pictures are, by definition, meant for viewing motion. There is no way to rationalize video implementation that hobbles the ability to properly capture motion and I can't imagine how camera makers have gotten away with it or how people have chosen to accept it. Heck, I don't even care about 1080p if rolling shutter artifacts can't be avoided.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 06-12-2015 at 12:43 PM.
06-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some of it, is adapting of the shooting style used.
I won't include whip-pans and rarely use the camera free of a tripod or shoulder rig.
For most dramatic use, where the camera is kept almost still, it doesn't affect the final image. It's only when you need to pick the camera up and move with it - such as shooting a foot-chase scene - that the rolling shutter becomes an huge issue.
And even then, if you have the camera on a stablisied rig like a Movi, and have the camera following or leading the performers, you still won't have a massive issue with the rolling shutter of the current generation of cameras.
Five years ago, whole different matter.
If you do have fast action going on, you can mitigate the skew with higher shutter speeds, and most NLE's now come equipped with filters to correct the skew.
06-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

.... most NLE's now come equipped with filters to correct the skew.
If you know of some examples could I trouble you to post a link or two? If it's a Pentax camera being corrected in Premiere all the better. It could save me some money. I don't want to hijack a thread, though. Maybe PM me if you know of some examples? Thanks either way for the insight.
06-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm suffering through doing a film colour grade in Premiere at the moment (because that's what someone else edited it on,..), I can tell you that the Rolling Shutter Correction filter has be included in Edius since V7.01, which is about a year or so old, and certainly there in the v7.5 trial I'm testing.
I haven't looked for it in the temporary install of Prem CS6 that's on my editing PC at the moment.
Guys I work with have used it on crApple Mac apps.
I'm tempted to see how well the Edius one works - I usually shoot around the skew, rather then having to fix it in post. Think I've got just the piece of K-01 vs BMPCC footage to use.