Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Jim, you have a K-30. It's a good camera and if you feel no need to upgrade, than by all means don't. Jason on the other hand has neither. IMO the K-5 IIs is better. I still think the K-30 is a good camera. I purchased one for my wife after I had owned my IIs and a K-30. Ergonomics, physical buttons, and top LCD are big deals to me. Sharpness matters to me too. So I say so. No need to get upset.

Not upset at all. This is an open forum to speak what we talk about, Pentax Photography.
I love my K-30 and I apologize as if it looked as I am strong for the K-30 or against the K-5IS and was not upset either way. They are both great cameras. We speak our mind and it is all about personal opinions.

02-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
Has anyone made the jump from a previous flagship body to a lower specified one? Will I miss the top LCD? I do sometimes use the external metering mode and autofocus mode switches. Is it a pain to use the menu system for those settings?
I went from the K200D to a K30. I don't mind the loss of the top LCD as much as I thought I might. It would be nice to have it, but it's not the end of the world. The K30 has more external controls than the K200D. It would be nice to have a few more I guess, but never having had them, I don't know what I'm missing.

What I do miss somewhat is the fact that you can't meter manual lenses using DOF preview on the K30. That was a bit of a surprise. Also, I prefer having DOF preview on the ON/OFF switch rather than on the left side ( Raw/Fx ).

Doesn't the K5iis support sensor SR during video? If you think you might shoot video, that might be an important consideration ( K50 only supports software SR in video ).
02-23-2015, 04:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hmmmm

If its an ISO issue :
Yes the K10 does suffer above 400 ISO ..

Pixels are very much entwined with ISO , the lower your pixel count , the more noticeable ISO is , especially high ISO ..
SO if its about ISO , the K50 might be the go :
But a 24MP sensor should be even better .. ( K3 )
But since you mention price as being a important factor , the k50 should serve you well .
Are there any comparisons out there ? so you can see a K50 at work at different ISO settings ...
02-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great discussion. Thank you to everyone who has replied. For clarification, is there a noticeable difference in video capabilities between the two bodies? I might like to start playing with that to capture events with my kids, and extra flexibility and usability for shooting video might help sway me one way or the other.

02-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pentax is sub standard by some accounts so if you are looking to shoot more in video, look for Canon or Panny. For the most part, the two cameras are similar in regard to video. I do believe the K-5 series has video SR but if you use it, you will hear the noise of SR in your videos.
02-23-2015, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
Remember I'm stepping up from a camera I've had for about 9 years.
I've never used the k50, but given that you're the kind of person willing to use the same body for so many years I'd go with the k5iis if there's anything it has you think you'd miss. The extra $190 may hurt a little now, but spread out over 5+ years of use it starts to be peanuts. I went from a 7.5 year old k100d to a k5iis once it started heading into the discount pricing territory and for the many years I expect to have it, I've no doubt it was worth it over the k30/50/500 (for me at least, I don't think I could handle being without the top lcd ).

I don't know though, if you're really eyeing up the k-s2 for it's flippy screen and wifi and you think your k10d will keep functioning another year, waiting for the price to come down might be tempting. Spend your time learning flash photography techniques as you've planned, they'll continue to serve you well after you upgrade.
02-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I've never used the k50, but given that you're the kind of person willing to use the same body for so many years I'd go with the k5iis if there's anything it has you think you'd miss. The extra $190 may hurt a little now, but spread out over 5+ years of use it starts to be peanuts. I went from a 7.5 year old k100d to a k5iis once it started heading into the discount pricing territory and for the many years I expect to have it, I've no doubt it was worth it over the k30/50/500 (for me at least, I don't think I could handle being without the top lcd ).

I don't know though, if you're really eyeing up the k-s2 for it's flippy screen and wifi and you think your k10d will keep functioning another year, waiting for the price to come down might be tempting. Spend your time learning flash photography techniques as you've planned, they'll continue to serve you well after you upgrade.

I think this might be the sense I needed injected into my thought process. Thank you.

02-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Earlier I asked - but it was lost in the sea of comments. What lenses do you have? Also what is your plan with respect to what you like to photograph? Personally having bought the K-50 after owning the K100D Super I can say that the loss of top LCD isn't the end of the world as someone else put it. It is a nice to have, it doesn't make your photos better. Second, if you have an adequate computer to run Post processing software and you have a good tripod and a good flash and good lenses then the extra $ for the K5iis may be worth it because it likely will give you more longevity due to superior features in many areas. HOWEVER... If you lack good lenses, lack a good tripod, or your computer is sub-par you might want to invest that money into those areas rather than the K-5iis

Also I would find it very hard to give up Focus Peaking. I don't love the implementation, I don't always find great results from it, but I find it is the best tool for manually focusing some scenes and I would hate to give it up. That said, several people say that manual focus on the K5ii is easier using the viewfinder and more accurate than any other Pentax they have tried.
02-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
+1 for keeping the k10d you may need it to disable sdm some day.

I went from k100d super to k50... losing top LCD. I only miss the ability to see lens focal length. The fact is you may regret the decision no matter what you do.

What lenses do you have, what will you have with each option, what would you like to have? Me, I'd buy the k50, and then save up for a lens.

How do I know... I already did it.
+2 for keeping one old body just in case 2nd body is needed some day

U same as me, I did upgrade from k100d super to k30. there is absolutely nothing to miss from k100d. If u like using AA-batts like me still continue using same 10 year old eneloops with k30 take that k50.
02-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Earlier I asked - but it was lost in the sea of comments. What lenses do you have? Also what is your plan with respect to what you like to photograph? Personally having bought the K-50 after owning the K100D Super I can say that the loss of top LCD isn't the end of the world as someone else put it. It is a nice to have, it doesn't make your photos better. Second, if you have an adequate computer to run Post processing software and you have a good tripod and a good flash and good lenses then the extra $ for the K5iis may be worth it because it likely will give you more longevity due to superior features in many areas. HOWEVER... If you lack good lenses, lack a good tripod, or your computer is sub-par you might want to invest that money into those areas rather than the K-5iis

Also I would find it very hard to give up Focus Peaking. I don't love the implementation, I don't always find great results from it, but I find it is the best tool for manually focusing some scenes and I would hate to give it up. That said, several people say that manual focus on the K5ii is easier using the viewfinder and more accurate than any other Pentax they have tried.
I think the list in my signature is accurate with regards to lenses. I use the 43 ltd and the 16-50 for probably 99% of my shots (no exaggeration), so I have some good glass. I am simultaneously considering shuffling some of those around, too, so I'm really making a bigger decision on how to best use a limited budget to add to my capabilities. Upgrade the body, add to my lens collection, or maybe a little of both?

I honestly wasn't planning to make the body purchase just yet, but seeing the seemly fire sale price on the K-50 made me think I might want to make a quicker decision on what to do. The third option that I didn't mention in the original post is that I might just keep on shooting with my K10D and just make some lens additions. Other than being frustrated at the low ISO performance, I don't have any huge need to upgrade the body today. I might just ultimately take that same money and buy either a DA 21 or DA70 second hand.

My ultimate wish list is to procure the following kit:
- A new(ish) body that gives me at least 2-3 stops better ISO performance than the 400 I am comfortable with now, plus some improved AF performance. Compactness and some form of WIFI compatibility are also highly desired.
- A mostly prime lens kit: (DA21 or FA*24) / FA 43 / DA 70 / DFA 100WR / 50-200WR

I just have to decide when the time is right to spend the money on a body upgrade and when it's better to just add to the lens stable.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't have the M150 listed in my signature. Not sure why I left that one off.
02-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got it. Your wish list is easy to answer:

1) K-50 or K-5iis will give you much better ISO performance - not even CLOSE. I routinely shoot at ISO 800 with no qualms and shoot up to 6400 in badly lit areas with good results.
2) AF performance much much better.
3) WIFI sucks. The EyeFi card does not work for me. Tried two - I'm zero for two without success using iPhone and Android clients.

I'd hold off if you can and see what the K-S2 prices do and also give time to see what the new FF release does to the market.
02-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #27

I'm extremely happy with my K-50 :)

I upgraded from the K-r .

cheers,

Jack
02-27-2015, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not have a K50 or K5, but I did start with a K10D. I upgraded to a K3 last year finally. I will add this, whatever camera you pick you will be happy with it. The K10D is a great camera but by today's standards it is dated. I too struggled with the limited ISO range for years. The only downside I find to the K50 is the lack of an upper LCD display and no battery grip. If you can live with that I think the K50 would be fine. The K50 does have live view which you will find more useful for macros. I did not realize how useful this was till i recieved my K3. B&H has a red K50 for 366 with a flash and memory card.
02-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #29
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
If u like using AA-batts like me still continue using same 10 year old eneloops with k30 take that k50.
are you meaning that the K-50 does not accept AA-batteries?
02-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
are you meaning that the K-50 does not accept AA-batteries?
They both work fine with AA's - I have a set that I use as my backup set in case I'm in need.