Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #16

That's not so simple. Imagine a location with outdoors shots, there is the sun, then the clouds come, then indoors in 'yellow' hall, then you go to the 'blue' or whatever ballroom, then they dim the ligts, etc.

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Shoot in DNG, shoot a gray card before you start. When you are back on the computer, one click to set the WB from the gray card, synchronize that to all images from the shoot. Done. Literally 30 seconds to set WB for 1,000 images.

03-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prakticant Quote
That's not so simple. Imagine a location with outdoors shots, there is the sun, then the clouds come, then indoors in 'yellow' hall, then you go to the 'blue' or whatever ballroom, then they dim the ligts, etc.
That's what AWB is for. If you set up in a reception hall or church or business lobby, shoot a gray card because the light mix in that location will not change. If you are shooting portraits on site make sure the gray card is in the spot the subject will be sitting / standing in. In office buildings they often replace bulbs with new ones that are not the same as the original so the light mix can be weird.

You should be shooting your gray cards on location prior to the shoot during your preliminary visit anyway.

Outside just use AWB, on the k-3 it is quite accurate in most situations.
03-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Outside just use AWB, on the k-3 it is quite accurate in most situations.
True. The K-3's 86,000 pixel light metering sensor is pretty good at helping the camera figure out WB. However even when shooting outdoors (especially in the evening or under event lighting), I still periodically shoot a grey card as I move around, as a reference point for any necessary Lightroom WB tuning.
03-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I still periodically shoot a grey card as I move around, as a reference point for any necessary Lightroom WB tuning.
Agree, better safe than sorry if you can. If the light looks funky, shoot a gray card. Doesn't hurt anything. I have a gray sling bag I often use. It's not perfect but it is quick.

03-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
better safe than sorry if you can.
Indeed. As good as the AWB usually is, there are still may instances (eg the colour of light in the shadows at night events) where the WB can be particularly tricky. So sometimes a grey card can save the day.