Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Need HELP using & understanding my K3 & I can't find info on Youtube etc/need suggest

I am having some trouble with my K3.
It is simply not as intuitive as my K5 & I cannot find the information I need on Youtube,
so I am wondering if there is a seminar you can recommend or some other resource to
learn my camera inside & out...
I do not have the luxury of learning while using, I have paid gigs stacking up & I need to
know NOW!

...I am getting frustrated & quite vexed.

Does B&H have some K3 tutorials?
I can't find what I need on the Pentax site & yes, I have read the manual~

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

02-23-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Ask away. What are you having trouble with?
02-23-2015, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having gone from a K-5 to a K-3 myself I'm like derikkite. "ask away." Please don't make me do a video, I'd hate that. So would you. I digress too often, I tell irrelevant jokes and I have a real problem staying on topic. Trust me, even if I make it, you don't want to see it.

Last edited by normhead; 02-23-2015 at 10:49 AM.
02-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
perhaps u can tell us what is the problem.. K3 is actually really intuitive so I imagine that shouldn't be something really complicated

02-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
you guys are priceless & I will confess that I learn more rabidly when someone is showing me
rather than telling me but.........here goes;

White balance~
There are so many options that I get frustrated and confused.
I am using studio lighting, I want to be able to click a button like
using a gray card but I can never find the white balance section
that perfects my photos without pp.

I know where the WB button is on the camera, it is all the options
in the camera that make me want to scream!

Thank you!

ps. I think I would love your jokes & asides in a video.
The current Youtube videos on the K3 are joyless & seem to exist
only for the purpose of yelling at Ricoh~
02-23-2015, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

k-3 set up

Try Photo Universe on You Tube. Edward Thomas goes thru his initial set up for the K3.
02-23-2015, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
notice I typed rabidly not rapidly....paging Freud!
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #8

'K-3 unboxing manual'

This year I failed once when trying not to RTFM (atually reading TFM did not help much, so I searched the world ww): when trying to quick release new genuine Arca Swiss QR

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote

02-23-2015, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you are getting the help you need. I will say that the jump from my K20d to my K5 was huge and now when I pick up the K20d it seems so awkward...I will say that with my K3 now of some 8 months using it off and on, I still am not at the automatic point with it and wonder why - or where - they changed this or that from the K5 menus. No real suggestions but, read your manual, or re-read it periodically. Also, when you are not under the gun, try some of those new or less used features on the K3, slowly retraining yourself. While I contend that Pentax is still the or one of the very best at making things (buttons and menus) easy to use for photographer, every new camera has its quirks.

Personally, I'm still not liking the selection of the LCD viewing screen options. I really prefer the toggling between the three viewing mode not as it is now. I get it though as why it was changed, just got really used to my K5.
02-23-2015, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

With WB I'm not much help, I shoot raw (DNG) so my white balance is always set to daylight, I adjust in post processing. I always shoot in "Daylight."
02-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Personally, I'm still not liking the selection of the LCD viewing screen options. I really prefer the toggling between the three viewing mode not as it is now. I get it though as why it was changed, just got really used to my K5.
Thank you BCB, that is almost exactly how I feel & while I am joyous over some of the photos I have taken,
I am still not quite sure that I KNOW how I got them & I prefer to think it is ME not just the equipment~

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With WB I'm not much help, I shoot raw (DNG) so my white balance is always set to daylight, I adjust in post processing. I always shoot in "Daylight."
Thanks NH. I am specifically shooting in JPG.
I shot in RAW with my Nikon but with my K5, I
found that I saved so much time by not shooting
in RAW & I know that has been discussed ad nauseum
on this forum & others but I believe in making my digital
photography as close to my film & I wasted too much
valuable time playing with layers.

If I have the opportunity to photograph a President or a
Prime Minister, I may be persuaded again to use RAW.
02-23-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Hit WB button. Click right until you come to manual white balance.
Hit down and select the preset you want to edit.
Hit Info button.
Take a shot of your grey card. You can move the yellow box to select your card, then hit ok. That creates a manual white balance preset.

You could also enter the temperature if you know it under K1.

Does AWB not work?
02-23-2015, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

found that I saved so much time by not shooting in RAW & I know that has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum & others but I believe in making my digital photography as close to my film & I wasted too much valuable time playing with layers.
If you want to shoot jpg that is your choice of course, but there is NO, repeat NO need to use layers when developing RAW. Just get a copy of Lightroom, it was designed from the ground up for your situation. Shoot in DNG, shoot a gray card before you start. When you are back on the computer, one click to set the WB from the gray card, synchronize that to all images from the shoot. Done. Literally 30 seconds to set WB for 1,000 images. I find that people who used Photoshop extensively just cannot believe how simple it is to get things done in Lightroom. Of course if you need layers, then Lightroom does not work at all, but 95% of my developing is in Lightroom and I process a lot of shots. 300 - 500 per shoot is common and I'm not wasting time messing about with layers with that number of images.

That said, the automatic WB on the k-3 is quite good, much better than k-5 IMHO. I rarely if ever use anything but AWB. I have no idea where on the camera to go about setting the WB, I've never needed it because the AWB is good.
02-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am having some trouble with my K3.
It is simply not as intuitive as my K5 & I cannot find the information I need on Youtube,
so I am wondering if there is a seminar you can recommend or some other resource to
learn my camera inside & out...
I do not have the luxury of learning while using, I have paid gigs stacking up & I need to
know NOW!

...I am getting frustrated & quite vexed.

Does B&H have some K3 tutorials?
I can't find what I need on the Pentax site & yes, I have read the manual~

Yvon sells a k3 eBook in the marketplace on the site. I've heard good things about those books
02-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Hit WB button. Click right until you come to manual white balance.
Hit down and select the preset you want to edit.
Hit Info button.
Take a shot of your grey card. You can move the yellow box to select your card, then hit ok. That creates a manual white balance preset.
Brilliant. Done. So grateful, thank you!

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 10:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you want to shoot jpg that is your choice of course, but there is NO, repeat NO need to use layers when developing RAW. Just get a copy of Lightroom, it was designed from the ground up for your situation. Shoot in DNG, shoot a gray card before you start. When you are back on the computer, one click to set the WB from the gray card, synchronize that to all images from the shoot. Done. Literally 30 seconds to set WB for 1,000 images. I find that people who used Photoshop extensively just cannot believe how simple it is to get things done in Lightroom. Of course if you need layers, then Lightroom does not work at all, but 95% of my developing is in Lightroom and I process a lot of shots. 300 - 500 per shoot is common and I'm not wasting time messing about with layers with that number of images.
This is truly happy making. I just bought a copy of Lightroom & now I know WHY!