Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #1

HELP,dirt in mirror, or pentaprism??

HI, I've just recently got a pice or dirt of something in my camera (somwhere! ) When I look through the veiwfinder to take a shot, up the left hand third there is a rather large speck of something. It doesn't turn up in the photo though??? I got my puffer and gave all the insides a blow but it didn't seem to help??/ does anyone know how to fix this??? it's not life and death because it doesn't affect the photos its just annoying.......
Hope someone can help here...

Last edited by Emmanuel; 06-01-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo!!
06-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, it is annoying... i have 3 or 4 of these specks in my viewfinder...

I also tried blowing it clean but it didnt help...

I am shopping for a splitscreen, so once I swap the screens hopefully it will solve the issue.

Other than that, maybe you could remove your focus screen and try cleaning it?
06-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I usually just drop my focus screen down, blow a bit and rise it again. All I use is a screwdriver and gently push the "lock" until it drops down.
06-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #4

It is also quite possible that it is on your mirror. Try blowing the mirror and/or a gentle blush.

06-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The more and harder you blow..

QuoteOriginally posted by Emmanuel Quote
HI, I've just recently got a pice or dirt of something in my camera (somwhere! ) When I look through the veiwfinder to take a shot, up the left hand third there is a rather large speck of something. It doesn't turn up in the photo though??? I got my puffer and gave all the insides a blow but it didn't seem to help??/ does anyone know how to fix this??? it's not life and death because it doesn't affect the photos its just annoying.......
Hope someone can help here...
More dust will enter into the inside of the focusing screen and you will see more of those specks.

Just ignore them if you are not confident of how to clean the screen which btw is dangerous for non-skillful users.
06-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
More dust will enter into the inside of the focusing screen and you will see more of those specks.

Just ignore them if you are not confident of how to clean the screen which btw is dangerous for non-skillful users.
Thats just bs. It's no harder then blowing the dust of the mirror or sensor. Any moron that have 10 fingers and some common sense can do it. I have done it several times, without any instructions at all. I just looked into how it was fitted, pressed the snapin thingie and the mirror fell down and dangled in the craddle. Then i blew some air on the glass above it and on the focus screen and pushed it back up. There is no magic and it sure as hell aint dangerous, if it was, then pentax would not have made it possible and so easily accessed as they did.

Just keep greasy fingers and metal away from the screen itself. There is no need to touch the screen at all.
06-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
I Have not idea what a focus screen is or where to find it in the camera??? I may just put up with it.... I'd have to look at it first though!!! Could somone tell me where to find it!!

06-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

YouTube - K10D Changing your focusing screen.
06-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the video.... I'll have to give it a go....