Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #1

How to use Fujica M42 lens on Pentax DSLR

I have a collection of EBC Fujinons with a pin protruding out of aperture ring. I don't want to permanently alter the lens by sanding the pin off. Is there anyway to use the lens on Pentax DSLR. I have a spare ist DS that is cheap enough to do anything on it. I am wondering if anyone know how to alter the camera mount or there is any adapter that could do the work?

Thanks,

06-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You want one of these (m42 to K adaptor): PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)
PENTAX SP-K ADAPTER

The last time I checked Henry's stocked them for $25 downtown and my local store (Halton Camera) had one in stock and price matched that for me.
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for response

It will not work cause the little pin will hit the camera lens mount before the lens is tightened on the adapter.
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have three Fujica M42 camera bodies and I tried the Pentax K-mount adapter and found out that the iris pin will get caught when mounting with the adapter. There were two people who said that they knew a "fix" one had two fixes.

Fix one - get a K adapter and mount the lens half way on - just to where the pin hits one of the contacts/holes where it would get caught. The could cause problems with focusing as it changes the lens to sensor distance.
Fix two - put a thin layer of tape over the pin (which closes the iris) so the pin will not get caught using the adapter. (This just might work - but I have yet to try it)
Fix three - permanently glue/solder the pin into the closed (pint all the way in) position.

Just remember, if you remove the pin the lens will stay wide open. The iris is closed down in EBC (Electron Beam Coated) lenses when the pin is depressed. I would really like to use my EBC lenses on my Pentax cameras - but I still have three working Fujica bodies (ST-801, ST-901 and AZ-1) and I do not want to muck up the lenses so they do not work at all.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

PS - or you could just send them to me -- it's a joke.

06-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

Sorry for my ignorance of Fujica M42 lens.

On my Takumar 50mm f1.4, I have a pin like this.

I have no problem mounting and dismounting the Takumar on my k10D using the Pentax m42-Kmount adapter. No modification of the Takumar is required.

I suppose the Fujica pin is not the same as the Takuma pin. Am I right?
06-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancheng Quote
Sorry for my ignorance of Fujica M42 lens.

On my Takumar 50mm f1.4, I have a pin like this.

I have no problem mounting and dismounting the Takumar on my k10D using the Pentax m42-Kmount adapter. No modification of the Takumar is required.

I suppose the Fujica pin is not the same as the Takuma pin. Am I right?
Your lens have a M/A switch which disable the pin.

I use a small amount of superglue to fix the pin inside its easily reversable. Have heard of people that used a splinter from a toothpick to get it to stick too.

If you use superglue though, be careful not to put too much of it so the excess comes into the lense .

EDIT: Hold tight to them EBC lenses. They are gold.
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
misunderstanding

I am not refering to the pin that everyone talks about. Fujica EBC has its second "pin" on the edge of the aperture ring. I will post some photo to explain.

It's just like SMC takumar have its own second pin for auto exposure, Fujica lens need this pin to communicate with st901 and AZ-1.

Check the following link for a EOS mount solution. I am wondering if I can do the same groove on the camera mount.

Alter my EBC 16mm and 85mm is not even an option. I can sand down that pin on any other EBC but not that two.

I am still short of 19mm. Anyone have one?
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
Canon EOS LINK

Here is some brave guy did the fix for Canon EOS adapter.

Joe Harrigan Journals, Harrigan Studios, Traditional Photography

06-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
Here is some brave guy did the fix for Canon EOS adapter.

Joe Harrigan Journals, Harrigan Studios, Traditional Photography
Ah, I see now. Well the the pentax adapter looks different. Its all inside the body mount. So that pin would most likely be stuck on the camera if any place.
06-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Canon EOS vs. M42 Lens Registration

Here is a site that lists the registration distances (lens mount to film/sensor plane) for various systems.

mounts.htm

Canon EOS = 44mm
M42 screwmount = 45.46mm
Pentax K-mount = 45.46mm

Note that the M42/K-mount camera bodies are 1.46mm thicker than Canon EOS bodies. That means that the Canon to M42 adapter can have a flange that sits between the lens and the camera. There is something to cut a hole in to allow for that extra pin.

On a K-mount body, the adapter must fit flush (completely within the lens mount opening), if the lens is to focus at infinity. There are cheap adapters that have such a flange, but, as expected, these adapters will not allow the lens to focus to infinity. If you only wanted to use your lenses for macro or portrait work, one of those adapters might work.

For complete functionality, you are either going to have to remove the pin or modify the camera body mounting flange. Neither sounds like a great idea to me.

Paul Noble
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Right, everyone is correct. The Fujica lenses need the rear pin to be depressed to stop the aperture down.

And the aperture communication pin makes things difficult.

When I used the EBC 55/1.9 on my old EOS, I would unscrew the lens a little to change the aperture. Also, my M42 -> EOS adapter had a flange on the top, and a flange to push in the aperture pin.

So...if you mod the lens to use with your Pentax, it will become unusable on a Fujica camera...
06-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
So...if you mod the lens to use with your Pentax, it will become unusable on a Fujica camera...
Which does not matter since there is no need for anything but Pentax, right?

Nah, seriously, I myself dislike to physically damage lenses. However, if it comes down to being used or being stored on a shelf, I'd rip that thing away in a second. No point in having excellent glass lying about unused.
06-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #13

Thanks for the info

I've just inherited a Fujinon EBC 135mm f2.8 in mint condition with original filter, so will give it a try, keWl!
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
f2.8 is bayonet mount. We are talking about m42 screw mount. In 135mm, Fujica has either f3.5 or f2.5.

I have one f3.5 and 2 f2.5. Both are excellent lens with very little variation.
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by vanchaz2002 Quote
f2.8 is bayonet mount. We are talking about m42 screw mount. In 135mm, Fujica has either f3.5 or f2.5.

I have one f3.5 and 2 f2.5. Both are excellent lens with very little variation.
just checked, you're correct, it IS the F3.5, Fujinon.
Also have a Tamron 135mm f2.8 in 42mm
and a Tamron 300mm f5.6 in K bayonet.