Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Really? Pentax sensors rating ?

Camera Sensor Ratings by DxOMark - DxOMark

Seems our Pentax sensors didnt come up high on this listing..

Just how accurate do you guys think these reviews are?

its a tad discouraging to see things like thison websites..makes it hard to attract others to use pentax.

Al

03-01-2015, 05:44 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel bad too, thinking I could have gotten so much more detail out of this picture with a Nikon or a Canon (K3+ Sigma Ex 50mm f1.4)

03-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These metrics appear to favor large sensors. Note however if you filter to Canon and Pentax which brand is on top of the dynamic range category.

If we could only compare APS vs. APS it might seem a bit less one sided.
03-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know anyone who buys a camera purely on the basis of DXO Mark scores. That said, Pentax cameras rank very nicely compared to other crop cameras. I think the highest rated crop sensor right now is the D5200/D7100 at 83, while the K5 II is 82 and the K3 is 80. You can't see a difference between anything less than about 5 points, so these cameras are all really close.

03-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Pentax actually scores pretty well as far as APS-C sensors go. I would expect FF sensors to perform better on their score due to how they are measured (and the fact that they have a bigger area to work with!).
There are few APS-C cameras that do better really.

I'm less happy about how they score lenses though.
03-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Camera Sensor Ratings by DxOMark - DxOMark

Seems our Pentax sensors didnt come up high on this listing..

Just how accurate do you guys think these reviews are?

its a tad discouraging to see things like thison websites..makes it hard to attract others to use pentax.

Al
You need to filter by sensor type. APS-C vs APS-C, M4/3 vs M4/3, etc.
03-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You need to filter by sensor type. APS-C vs APS-C, M4/3 vs M4/3, etc.
Thanks for that...it helps.

Be interesting to see how A pentax FF does against the others.

Its kind of interesting that the k5s rated higher than the k3s in their tests.
al

03-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for that...it helps.

Be interesting to see how A pentax FF does against the others.

Its kind of interesting that the k5s rated higher than the k3s in their tests.
al
Different sensor K5/ii/s 16Mpx vs K3's 24Mpx, lower native ISO (80 vs 100) overall sightly better dynamic range on the K5/ii/s. Some people didn't upgrade to the K3, I did and I'm happy with my choice.
03-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stavri Quote
i feel bad too, thinking i could have gotten so much more detail out of this picture with a nikon or a canon (k3+ sigma ex 50mm f1.4)
ha ha ha ha ha ha h!!!!
03-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I havent any experience with the k5s..I went from k20d to k3... for me the k3 is an amazing piece of photographic magic though.

I guess whats "misleading " about these tests are they arent weighted for things like sensor size and type. They may use the same parameters to test them all but it seems like they should do some sort of standardization like express the "ratings" as ratio to sensor size or some other value. But when you go to their webpage and scroll down their initial listing...its misleading.. ..biased in a sense not by their data...but by their presentation of it.Probably not explaining this well...I used to do alot of biotect experiments..but its comparing the horse power of an 8 cyl engine to a 6 cyl in tests and then saying the best acceleration rating goes to the 8 cyl engine ...true,until you standardize for factors like the number of cylinders and mass of the car.

At least thats my initial takehome on it..
03-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I havent any experience with the k5s..I went from k20d to k3... for me the k3 is an amazing piece of photographic magic though.

I guess whats "misleading " about these tests are they arent weighted for things like sensor size and type. They may use the same parameters to test them all but it seems like they should do some sort of standardization like express the "ratings" as ratio to sensor size or some other value. But when you go to their webpage and scroll down their initial listing...its misleading.. ..biased in a sense not by their data...but by their presentation of it.Probably not explaining this well...I used to do alot of biotect experiments..but its comparing the horse power of an 8 cyl engine to a 6 cyl in tests and then saying the best acceleration rating goes to the 8 cyl engine ...true,until you standardize for factors like the number of cylinders and mass of the car.

At least thats my initial takehome on it..
Jokes aside I share you concern with DXO rating. I know that for most of us it doesn't mean a thing but I've seen a lot of youngster bumping heads over dxO values and that's a real shame
03-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

makes it hard to attract others to use pentax.
The sensor rankings must also make it impossible to attract buyers to Canon.
Or, for that matter, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, Samsung ...

Yet somehow Canon still manages to outsell Nikon and Pentax combined. And Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji etc are still selling cameras and attacting customers.

The sensor score is exactly that. The real prize winner is Sony's sensor division, not the manufacturers who make the boxes the Sony sensors live in.

PS - DxOMark still haven't done a score for the 645Z. Maybe once they have prepared a score, they will have a new number 1.
03-01-2015, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know anyone who buys a camera purely on the basis of DXO Mark scores. That said, Pentax cameras rank very nicely compared to other crop cameras. I think the highest rated crop sensor right now is the D5200/D7100 at 83, while the K5 II is 82 and the K3 is 80. You can't see a difference between anything less than about 5 points, so these cameras are all really close.

Even if it was twice the price I'd buy the Pentax over the Nikon. I can't stand that horrible Nikon user interface. We have one at work and I find the ergonomics and interface to be very un-ergonomic.

obin

03-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
Even if it was twice the price I'd buy the Pentax over the Nikon. I can't stand that horrible Nikon user interface. We have one at work and I find the ergonomics and interface to be very un-ergonomic.

obin

It is always hard to switch systems - I have a small superzoom fixed lens Nikon that I didn't find too complex. I hate Canon's interface on the other hand... LOL.
03-01-2015, 08:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In DxO ratings, the low light performance count for a lot. SO with few really fast Pentax lenses they tend to punished for that. Less than stop of difference in low light performance really skews DxO marks. Ver few lenses that aren't ƒ1.4 or better are top rated, again because of the low light thing.