Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #1

K20D will fire only on A/f

I have a brand new K20D that will not shoot manual lenses or Autofocus lenses set to an f-stop. It works properly on A/f. And I can't find anything in the manual referring to shooting with manual lenses. And I do know about shooting in manual. Anyone else had this problem? And is there something I don't know that you can help with?

03-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no problem. The K20D by default (Custom Functions) will not allow the use of aperture ring. You can change this for stop down metering if you wish to use the aperture ring (or lens does not have the A setting). Also, via custom functions (menu 4), the default is to NOT ALLOW if there is no focus confirmation. If lens used is manual focus but body es set to AF (front switch by lens mount), the camera will refuse to fire. Change this in custom functions too to allow shutter operation with manual focus lenses.
03-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your lens has an A setting on the aperture ring, keep that selected and use the camera's e-dial to choose the aperture. There is no reason to ever use the aperture ring on A series lenses and newer, as this would actually make them meter like manual lenses.

To be able to use manual lenses, you need to change a custom function setting, and put the camera in M mode and manual focus. All the details can be found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
03-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanksrburgoss & Adam. That sorted that one out. There are more probs too, probably menu-related. I'll try to sort them and ask again if I need to.
Mike.