Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K-50 and love it. It is the perfect camera if you want to enhance your skills but can't dump a lot of money into photography (like me). It has focus peaking which is fun to use with manual focus lenses, and I don't have to buy spare batteries because I picked up a AA battery adapter on ebay for 5 bucks. I use it with rechargeable AAs as well as regular AAs if I'm camping or something.

On a technical side, what people are saying is true and the K-5iis has better specs. I haven't used it so I wouldn't be able to tell you if its worth the extra 100 bucks. But I can tell you that you will be happy with either one once you get used to it. There is a learning curve and I recommend taking some photography courses online or otherwise. Lynda.com has some really good ones but you have to pay for it. There might be some good YouTube vids or something.

Bottom line: It's the talent and technique of the photographer that makes all the difference, not the camera.

Here are some of my recent shots with the K-50 (note: these were taken using a cheaper, non-pentax lens so the sharpness could be a bit better):

03-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera Body Black - B&H Photo Video

DSLR Cameras and SLR Cameras | B&H Photo Video

Consider following the instructions found on the forum when ordering from B&H to support the forum and receive something for yourself.
03-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone. How much a learning curve is dealing with moire in the K-5iis?
03-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The answer is pretty simple. In most ways, the K5iis will give you the better build, smoother and quieter operation, and a great feel. It is worth the extra $100 easily for the typical photographer.

However...

Two important factors favor the K-50 in very specific situations. First, if you want to use full pTTL flash functionality, the K-5 has significant deficits that will yield untimely failures; the easy fix is the use of more consistent flash options - M, ratio, or the easy to use, highly consistent auto mode (assuming you have a flash with this function).

While most modern camera users are adept at using the LCD and taking fine pictures, many Pentaxians avoid this option like the plague (preferring VF only). And, in fact, the K-5 series is very poor at live view. Live view implemented properly - as it is on the K-50 - makes it easy to change perspective up or down (although you don't have an articulated screen to simplify the process), manual focusing is a breeze with focus peaking, and live view in general allows you greater creative freedom.

The advantages of these two cameras are fairly stark, but so are the deficits. Little wonder why the K-3 is considered so highly, implementing the best of both earlier cameras. For me, the K-50 would make more sense because I find pTTL flash cumbersome and slow (even when done at its best), and I find manual focus and live view essential for a fair share of the shooting situations I encounter. However, the K-5iis is a superior camera for basic shooting needs. It is a nearly pro-level camera, and the imaging in good light is slightly better than the K-50.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lagom Quote
Thanks for the responses everyone. How much a learning curve is dealing with moire in the K-5iis?
Not much of a factor unless you are in the habit of shooting fences in the distance, or portraits of guys wearing intricate plaids. At worst, 1 in 100 shooting sessions will require you to blur the photo. Understanding the significant other differences between the two cameras will be the key to making a good decision.

03-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been using Pentax camera without a low pass filter for two years, have taken thousands of pics in different scenarios, and I've only encountered moire twice
03-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
First, if you want to use full pTTL flash functionality, the K-5 has significant deficits that will yield untimely failures;
Where'd you come up with this for the K5 lls, mine is no better or worse than the K50 I owned using Pttl.
And, in fact, the K-5 series is very poor at live view.
Pure out and out poppycock, Is this what you have read or is it from personal experience using one day to day ?
Live view implemented properly - as it is on the K-50 - makes it easy to change perspective up or down (although you don't have an articulated screen to simplify the process)
How is it any different on the K5 lls? I sure didn't find any when I owned both cameras. Granted the K50 might be slightly faster AF but functionality is the same.
manual focusing is a breeze with focus peaking, and live view in general allows you greater creative freedom.
Sorry but I didn't like using focus peaking on the K50 and resorted to my tried and true method of using live view zoom. I'll bet I can nail my focus as good and as easy using that method, but that is just my preference from years of doing it that way.
For me, the K-50 would make more sense because I find pTTL flash cumbersome and slow (even when done at its best),
What, the K50 doesn't use P-ttl flash? Prey tell what flash type does it use different than the K5lls
However, the K-5iis is a superior camera for basic shooting needs.
Your kidding, right?

The K50 is a fine capable camera both are close as far as image quality goes but there is enough difference not only in image quality but in camera build, ease of use, battery (410 w/ no grip option vs 980 and another 980 w/grip) and quietness. If someone is looking for those than the K5 lls or K3 is worth strong consideration. Afaic the K50 focus peaking is not something I consider worthy enough to be a deciding factor. This comes from my experience with both cameras. I really liked my K50 but once I put the K5 lls in my hands and used it I was happy I made the change.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-08-2015 at 04:29 AM.
03-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone. I heard target carries the k-50 so I went there to see how it felt in my hand and they had it on clearance for $310 so I went ahead and got it.

Thanks again for the advice.

03-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lagom Quote
Thanks for the input everyone. I heard target carries the k-50 so I went there to see how it felt in my hand and they had it on clearance for $310 so I went ahead and got it.

Thanks again for the advice.
I don't think you'll be sorry. Get some good glass, though, to stick on the front.
03-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks, I plan on picking up a 50mm and later on another prime or zoom depending on what I find myself shooting. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find a good guide or series of lessons. I'm completely new to photography.
03-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Where'd you come up with this for the K5 lls, mine is no better or worse than the K50 I owned using Pttl.

Pure out and out poppycock, Is this what you have read or is it from personal experience using one day to day ?

How is it any different on the K5 lls? I sure didn't find any when I owned both cameras. Granted the K50 might be slightly faster AF but functionality is the same.

Sorry but I didn't like using focus peaking on the K50 and resorted to my tried and true method of using live view zoom. I'll bet I can nail my focus as good and as easy using that method, but that is just my preference from years of doing it that way.

What, the K50 doesn't use P-ttl flash? Prey tell what flash type does it use different than the K5lls

Your kidding, right?

The K50 is a fine capable camera both are close as far as image quality goes but there is enough difference not only in image quality but in camera build, ease of use, battery (410 w/ no grip option vs 980 and another 980 w/grip) and quietness. If someone is looking for those than the K5 lls or K3 is worth strong consideration. Afaic the K50 focus peaking is not something I consider worthy enough to be a deciding factor. This comes from my experience with both cameras. I really liked my K50 but once I put the K5 lls in my hands and used it I was happy I made the change.
Some people are OK with mediocre functions in various ways, others are particular. Latency in live view is a problem with the old designs; some don't mind it, or in your case you didn't notice it. If you use higher quality lenses - especially fast ones - focus peaking is a tremendous advantage; perhaps your lenses don't take advantage of the function. In any event, focus peaking yields better focus for me because I use a lot of fast, sharp lenses that allow for greater precision.

The pTTL differences are so well documented, I really don't need to respond at any length. Perhaps you only use flash for direct exposure. I never do. So, to each their own. You chide me for saying that in basic shooting ways the K-5iis is preferable (i.e. AF using OVF is my clear point); it has better build, quietness, functionality, but then you say you much prefer the camera once you have it - total contradiction. Are you helping the buyer (OP), or just having a need to go after someone? Perhaps just a bad day for you.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-08-2015 at 05:24 PM.
03-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Mike brown has some great beginner photography You Tube videos.
03-09-2015, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Some people are OK with mediocre functions in various ways, others are particular. Latency in live view is a problem with the old designs; some don't mind it, or in your case you didn't notice it. If you use higher quality lenses - especially fast ones - focus peaking is a tremendous advantage; perhaps your lenses don't take advantage of the function. In any event, focus peaking yields better focus for me because I use a lot of fast, sharp lenses that allow for greater precision.

The pTTL differences are so well documented, I really don't need to respond at any length. Perhaps you only use flash for direct exposure. I never do. So, to each their own. You chide me for saying that in basic shooting ways the K-5iis is preferable (i.e. AF using OVF is my clear point); it has better build, quietness, functionality, but then you say you much prefer the camera once you have it - total contradiction. Are you helping the buyer (OP), or just having a need to go after someone? Perhaps just a bad day for you.
I am not going to respond to this post by going into itemized detail but I will address this;
Are you really helping a buyer by putting forth comparative information based on what you have read instead of hands on experience? Anything I write is from my first hand usage of both products in many different situations and conditions, not from what I read on here or anywhere else.

Now lets address this;
So are we the forum members supposed to take it that if we refute something you have written that we are going after you or we are just having a bad day instead of just expressing an opinionated difference to something that you have written? Are we also as forum members supposed to take anything you write as gospel and take it in complete acceptance? sorry bud I just don't think this membership will settle for that, I know I wont and anything I write isn't written to personally attack anyone. I express my thoughts using the right to my opinion without malicious intent nothing more nothing less and I take no personal affront to anyone's difference to mine.

The OP has made a decision and purchased a K50 at this point so good for him and I wish him much success using it.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-09-2015 at 08:27 AM.
03-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Best wishes, Lagom, on the purchase of the K-50, if you're still checking in on this thread. The camera is a very good value, especially now. From my personal experience (adding to what Zephos mentioned), I might point out that use with the AA adapter can be a bit spotty. At times it does great, but you have to have a good set of fresh AAs. Other times they acted up a bit - especially under heavy use. Personally, I preferred spare batteries of the dedicated variety; and you'll need a couple spares for a heavy day of shooting. Some of the generic batteries do quite well.

Enjoy the camera. Feel free to ask questions here on the Forum when you encounter issues. Most of the posters here are helpful, and not combative.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 03-09-2015 at 11:43 AM.
03-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... I might point out that use with the AA adapter can be a bit spotty. At times it does great, but you have to have a good set of fresh AAs. Other times they acted up a bit - especially under heavy use. Personally, I preferred spare batteries of the dedicated variety; and you'll need a couple spares for a heavy day of shooting. Some of the generic batteries do quite well.
No similar experience here with a generic AA adapter. I do not however use AA Alkalines ever. I have used Lithium AA's and Ni-MH only. Coming over from the K100D Super I had a supply of AA Ni-MH's to draw on. Typically I only care a spare dedicated battery and the empty AA holder and if needed AA Lithiums can be picked up as a third spare, but that's not typically an issue anymore now that I have the dedicated spare.
03-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Best wishes, Lagom, on the purchase of the K-50, if you're still checking in on this thread. The camera is a very good value, especially now. From my personal experience (adding to what Zephos mentioned), I might point out that use with the AA adapter can be a bit spotty.
I have not had this experience, although I use rechargeable AA batteries for the most part.