Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

K-50 or K-5iis

I realize this is probably an over asked question, but I wanted to get your thoughts as it relates to my particular needs and recent prices.

Right now the K-50 is about $400 for the body and the K-5iis is $500 for the body.

This is my first slr and I'm mainly looking to use it for 3 things:

1. Family (Both indoors and outside)

2. Vacations - Probably some landscapes of buildings and such, but mostly people.

3. Portraits

With these three primary uses in mind and a $100 difference do you think that the k-5iis is a better choice than the k-50? I don't mind putting in the extra time to learn how to properly use the k-5iis if it's more complicated and will produce better photos.

Thank you,

03-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since it sounds like you're primarily interested in shooting stills, I'd go for the K-5 IIs. It's got a better build quality, better AF, and slightly better image quality thanks to its 14-bit RAW mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K5IIs, definitely, if you can find one.
03-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

It's a shame that more local stores do not carry a greater variety of dslr cameras so you can feel and touch these things to aid your decisions. The K-50 could be considered a compact dslr as it is a bit smaller in some of it's physical dimensions than the K-5 variations. But if this is your first dslr, this and menu/button layouts may not make a difference to you anyway.

You could go to store that has a nice selection of Canons and Nikons and hold the smaller, entry level models of one of those brands and then hold an intermediate/advanced model to get an idea of the difference in size and how it relates to the form of your hand and your habits.
Often the best camera is one that you will enjoy using.

03-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
I should have clarified that my family consists of two toddlers, who do not sit still. So most of my pictures will be of moving targets.
03-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Lagom Quote
I realize this is probably an over asked question, but I wanted to get your thoughts as it relates to my particular needs and recent prices.

Right now the K-50 is about $400 for the body and the K-5iis is $500 for the body.

This is my first slr and I'm mainly looking to use it for 3 things:

1. Family (Both indoors and outside)

2. Vacations - Probably some landscapes of buildings and such, but mostly people.

3. Portraits

With these three primary uses in mind and a $100 difference do you think that the k-5iis is a better choice than the k-50? I don't mind putting in the extra time to learn how to properly use the k-5iis if it's more complicated and will produce better photos.

Thank you,
I'd go further and say K5iis, K5ii or original K5 over K-50. Slightly better files which are very flexible in post processing. Also very quiet for a DSLR which is great for candid shots. Top mounted LCD is useful. I zone focus and shoot candid street from the chest and I find it very handy being able to just glance down and see my aperture, shutter speed and exposure comp in view at all times.
03-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The K-5II has many advantages over the K-50 and since you have suggested that this is to be your first (d)slr, either model will not only be some sort of a learning curve but will also easily satisfy your three stated guidelines.
03-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

Definitely the K5iis. I don't regret getting my copy and its a first class DSLR you will grow with.

03-03-2015, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

Have you looked at the specs side by side?

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

The (paper) advantages of the K5 iis are better low light focusing, better image quality as Adam noted, faster continuous shooting (very good for moving kids). The (paper) advantages of the K50 are focus peaking, scene modes, and the ability to accept AA batteries, which can be helpful in a pinch as family life can sometimes get in the way of remembering to recharge a battery. I say paper advantage because a lot depends on how you end up using the camera - I could easily make use of focus peaking, but I'm far less likely to use scene modes.

ps . toddlers are easy to photograph - it is teenagers that are impossible.
03-03-2015, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/289382-would-i-happy-k-50-a.html
03-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Have you looked at the specs side by side?

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

The (paper) advantages of the K5 iis are better low light focusing, better image quality as Adam noted, faster continuous shooting (very good for moving kids). The (paper) advantages of the K50 are focus peaking, scene modes, and the ability to accept AA batteries, which can be helpful in a pinch as family life can sometimes get in the way of remembering to recharge a battery. I say paper advantage because a lot depends on how you end up using the camera - I could easily make use of focus peaking, but I'm far less likely to use scene modes.

ps . toddlers are easy to photograph - it is teenagers that are impossible.

THIS is a great answer and what I was about to write more or less. The focus peaking is mostly an issue for manual focus lenses and the scene modes are fairly useful if you are new to DSLRs. The AA battery fallback is mostly helpful if you don't bother to get a spare battery but despite having two batteries I sometimes carry the AA holder and a set of Lithium AA's as my EMERGENCY POWER solution JUST IN CASE (why not buy a third battery for this you ask? I have no idea other than the fact I have the other already).

So at present pricing would I buy the K5iis over the K50 - likely. Would I get it knowing my dad - a very technical photographer in his day but long away from the day to day use - wanted to have the same camera as me for support? Not sure. The K50 is a good set of training wheels.
03-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 IIs hands down unless you need less weight or focus peaking. IMO, K-5 IIs beats the K-50 in every other way.
03-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm always surprised when I see posts saying how cheap the K-5iis now is.. Here in Australia it's still high, as high as the K-3.

Even DigitaRev want AU$ 1,299.00 for the body only... And they are grey market..

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-03-2015 at 04:22 PM.
03-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since it sounds like you're primarily interested in shooting stills, I'd go for the K-5 IIs. It's got a better build quality, better AF, and slightly better image quality thanks to its 14-bit RAW mode.
More perks with the K-5IIs. especially if you get into photography. You can add a battery grip later which gives more shooting time, better stability with larger lenses if you acquire them up the road and also the ability to use AA batteries in a pinch. The better build quality may be subjective to some but to me it makes me want to keep the camera longer rather than jumping on an upgrade sooner.

Last edited by jddwoods; 03-03-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: correct typo
03-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Forum Member

I own both cameras. The K-5iis has better PDAF auto focus, a quieter shutter, and slightly better image quality (lowest ISO is 80 which is more like 64 measured with my Sekonic meter). The K-50 has better CDAF auto focus and better auto white balance.