Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anti-aliasing filter?

What does it mean and how will it affect me when I buy a new K-3 body? I Googled it and I came away completely befuddled. More technical lingo that I can handle. Can anyone give me an explanation that a simpleton can understand? What PRACTICAL difference will it make in my images with the K-3 vs my current K-50?

Thanks for any help you can provide for this thick-skulled old timer.

03-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This page of our K-3 review should answer all your questions

Pentax K-3 Review - Moire | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Let me know if there's anything you're still unsure about after reading it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
What does it mean and how will it affect me when I buy a new K-3 body? I Googled it and I came away completely befuddled. More technical lingo that I can handle. Can anyone give me an explanation that a simpleton can understand? What PRACTICAL difference will it make in my images with the K-3 vs my current K-50?

Thanks for any help you can provide for this thick-skulled old timer.
Not much difference unless you have the lenses to support it. Basically, the AA filter blurs the image slightly so that you don't get moiré in your images. These are show up as jagged lines on things like suit coats or other materials that have very small close parallel lines and can produce false colors that are not in the material.

Without the filter, you leave yourself open to these jagged lines and false colors. Luckily, if you notice moire showing up in your photos, you can switch on the AA simulator and get rid of them. Or if your lens is not that sharp, it might not matter since the lens would act as a slight blur filter.
03-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Potentially sharper images but more susceptible to moire in images, which isn't all that common. Even there, there is a built-in AA simulator that can help resolve it.

The AA filer helps mitigate the effect of tight, dense patterns that can result in wavy lines called moire patterns. It does this by blurring the image a bit at the expense of sharpness. Removing the AA filter means that the blur is removed resulting in a sharper image. Again, it is more susceptible to moire, but the selectable simulator in the camera can be employed to mitigate that.

It's a trade off that's worth having. And, even there, the trade off is your choice.

03-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Potentially sharper images but more susceptible to moire in images, which isn't all that common. Even there, there is a built-in AA simulator that can help resolve it.

The AA filer helps mitigate the effect of tight, dense patterns that can result in wavy lines called moire patterns. It does this by blurring the image a bit at the expense of sharpness. Removing the AA filter means that the blur is removed resulting in a sharper image. Again, it is more susceptible to moire, but the selectable simulator in the camera can be employed to mitigate that.

It's a trade off that's worth having. And, even there, the trade off is your choice.

Thank you very much for your most informative response. It's much more understandable than a drab, technical-jargon-filled review. Your answer was EXACTLY what I was hoping to get!
03-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Going from the K-30 to the K-S1, I find it sharpens every lens, Dewman! :-)