Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any Brisbane shooters

go to the PMA show over the weekend?
Was there a Pentax presence?

Last edited by Sergei; 06-04-2008 at 03:07 PM.
06-02-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Forum Member

I went and there was a C R Kennedy stall there. Had trouble finding it and no one i asked could help me. Finally did and it was very disapointing. I was interested in the lens's. I never saw any Pentax ones just Sigma and of those they only had a couple to fit a pentax. Asked questions and they didnt seen to know much. Ask a price and they looked at a sheet of paper which i got a copy of. Prices were way dearer than you can accually get them for.
Went to Samsung and they were more helpful but wanted me to change to the Samsung. They had a 50-135 pentax there that the salesman said he owned himself. He also owned the Bigma that was there. They had a few other assorted Pentax lens there. They had rounded up for the show. They seem very determed to get to the top and was interesting to find out a few things. They said for us to ask for this gear at the stores and that at the moment Camera House looks like coming on board to stock goods. Also was told that a bid had already been put in for Pentax.
Lots of people at the show and the Cannon and Nikon stands were as you would expect from them. Impressive. Lots of photobook stands. More of them than anything else.
Keith
06-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Smacks of Commodore

Thanks for the report Keith.
Looks like Pentax enthusiasts and users are the driving force behind the product, and C.R. and perhaps even Pentax don't know how to market their own excellent product properly.
Who remembers the Amiga computer? same story

Interesting about the huge popularity of photobooks, a bit like canvas prints of recent times.
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. I was there too.
I posted a thread earlier to share the same lamentations about Pentax's presence at the exhibition as Keith.

The marketing of Pentax was very very poor, and who knows the reason why... but end result - no promotion of Pentax's fine cameras and lenses.

06-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I was there.

Ditto to the above comments. The Pentax 'presence' was underwhelming to put it politely and unprintable to say what I really thought of their effort.

I wonder if Pentax even know how the brand was handled at the PMA and what they paid for the representation.
06-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

another gold coaster! good stuff..

yes i was at PMA and yes the Pentax presence was very small. found out that Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is due in August for Pentax and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 around the same time.

CR Kennedy were keen to mention that they would like the opportunity to price match on any purchases, after i told them how i ordered 540FGZ from USA ($300 versus $700 locally!).
06-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by juice Quote
another gold coaster! good stuff..

yes i was at PMA and yes the Pentax presence was very small. found out that Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is due in August for Pentax and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 around the same time.

CR Kennedy were keen to mention that they would like the opportunity to price match on any purchases, after i told them how i ordered 540FGZ from USA ($300 versus $700 locally!).
Any purchases??

so they'll pricematch the ~688ish/US$659.99 DA*16-50 from Adorama? Lowest price i've seen is 1.15K (DCW

this, i gotta see...
06-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

so does that mean you can buy pentax gear directly from cr kennedy's or did they meant from their retailers?

06-03-2008, 05:49 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by smackus Quote
so does that mean you can buy pentax gear directly from cr kennedy's or did they meant from their retailers?
from what i hear from another forum, quote a grey market price, and CR Kennedy will price match

But that's Grey market, that's not overseas buying.
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

We're all waiting here in Oz to see what CRK will come up with here...
06-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #11

I had a chance to visit the PMA and visted the Pentax stand on the Friday. Although it was not as big as the Canon, Sony, Nikon and Olympus (Which were absolutley IMPRESSIVE) I had the chance to play with just about every lens in the cabinet on MY K20D. I played around with the 16-50, 50-135, DA200, DA35 Macro, FA31, 10-17, 18-250, FA77. It was great. DA* lenses are awesome and my next purchases. the 16-50 was great and sharp as, 100% crops on my monitor are brilliant. Lets hope the copy i get is as good as this one. 50-135 was great and the DA200 was amazing. Handling, weight, speed. That lens is the whole sherbang!

Anyways it not how big the stand or display is, its the quality of the products. In my view I got what I wanted from it. That being able to have a play with these lenses prior to purchase.

Oh and one more thing to keep an eye and an ear out for is a Pentax lens rental program to get underway in the near future. That would be great! I guess these are the benefits of attending something like this - a little inside info!
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #12

Original Poster
Good to hear from a happy camper, thanks for sharing!
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #13

Hello,
Does anyone know where I can buy the K20D with the kit lens Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens in Brisbane at a fair price ? All I have seen is with the Sigma or the old Pentax 18-55mm.

Rodney