Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe that you have correctly stated the nature of the K-3 runaway mirror issue and also provided a good explanation why it was difficult for Ricoh to characterize and correct and why a recall for affected cameras was not done. Your conclusion is also very good regarding purchase of a new K-3.

Steve
Hi Steve

Thanks for your positive comments Steve

There are others that have been quiet negative, saying I should not bring this mirror flap problem up again,

anyway leave it at that for now

Tom G

03-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KX5 Quote
No; until 3200 iso quality is comparable with K3 but 6400 iso kills K2S (based on K1S sensor)
You keep harping on this, and yet its not true.

Last edited by luftfluss; 06-08-2016 at 08:23 AM.
03-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #33

Original Poster
Anyway, from today in the shops ! (just pre-order)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SC-02F  Photo 
03-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
cameras affected were batch from 4862xxx to 4930xxx black edition Silver edition2573xxx to 2578xxx
It's important to point out that not all cameras are affected. I pre-ordered my silver edition K-3, serial # 2574249, so it's from an early batch, and I've never had a problem with a runaway mirror.

03-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be the main drawing point for me. Low angle work is hard. I am tall and my knees are shot

Full support for wireless tether is also intriguing.

Steve
That is my sentiment exactly ! When Im shooting with the bottom of a camera right at water level or ground level the articulating screen is a blessing from heaven. That and the wireless tethering is another big help for certain situations. The K3 is a better overall body and features. But the K S2 has its points too. GOD.....Why cant we just have it ALL ???
03-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The real issue can't be fixed by firmware for the simple reason that the shutter mechanism is having deterministic timing constraints, hence operated by synchronous logic with more than one clock domain (can still be triggered by firmware ;-), then clocked by hardware).

Can you elaborate on this? Maybe it's the language barrier but the way this is written just makes no sense.
09-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I have both K-3 and K-S2 now. I like them both. But the K-3 is unquestionably better specified in every way and is a must-have if you can buy only one of the two cameras. In particular, the K-3's dual-card slots is a valuable feature, and an Eye-Fi card in slot 2 pretty much handles wi-fi functions. Regarding wi-fi. (If you are in Japan make sure you can find the "Image Sync" application for your smart device, referred to in the K-S2 manuals as being necessary for K-S2 wi-fi functions. The "image Sync" application does not seem to be available in America yet.)

Having said that, K-S2 DOES replace both a K-01 and a K-30, since it has a microphone input to match the K-01's capability. Otherwise the K-S2 is an update to the K-30/50 capabilities, most of which you will still find except for "composition adjustment."

It might boil down to the need for an articulating screen, but I think K-3 still trumps that feature.
Marktax:
Based on reviews I see KS2 have better low light performance - less noise, less noise reduction, renders better detail at same ISO than K-3.
K-3 is probably more serious body though. WHat do you think? I own K-r now, and K-3 seems not that much improvement if I look just for noise and details lowlight. I see KS2 much better upgrade.

I'm asking since my K-r struggles at late night party events outdoor (can't use flash and bounce it from ceiling). I purchased Pentax-M 50mm 1,4 from ebay and new Sigma 18-35 f1,8... I bet this will be better upgrade to IQ than change body. But K-3 have better video and I might want to use that also (K-r have useless video, because too much aliasing, noise, 720p). Than again, KS2 have decent video too, and mic imput... I wonder what to buy. KS2 is 200 cheaper than K-3.

Thank you for opinion,
MIHAEL
09-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by cdmikelis Quote
Marktax:
Based on reviews I see KS2 have better low light performance - less noise, less noise reduction, renders better detail at same ISO than K-3.
K-3 is probably more serious body though. WHat do you think? I own K-r now, and K-3 seems not that much improvement if I look just for noise and details lowlight. I see KS2 much better upgrade.

I'm asking since my K-r struggles at late night party events outdoor (can't use flash and bounce it from ceiling). I purchased Pentax-M 50mm 1,4 from ebay and new Sigma 18-35 f1,8... I bet this will be better upgrade to IQ than change body. But K-3 have better video and I might want to use that also (K-r have useless video, because too much aliasing, noise, 720p). Than again, KS2 have decent video too, and mic imput... I wonder what to buy. KS2 is 200 cheaper than K-3.

Thank you for opinion,
MIHAEL
I have a K-3. I also have owned a k-100, k-20 and k-5. The K-5 was a good low light camera. In terms of raw noise it is a little less noisy than the k-3. HOWEVER, the noise on the K-3 is VERY MUCH easier to control in PP. I think the higher pixel count has something to with it. I regularly shoot in the 800-3200 range and my results after PP are every bit as good as the K-5.

09-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I have a K-S2 and a K-3. I got the K-S2 as more of a walkaround and travel casual camera. I haven't done any formal tests but noise seems pretty similar between the two. It's close enough I'd call them the same. I was hoping the K-S2 would feel a little smaller and lighter but it seems pretty similar to the K-3. I think the K-S2 might be more prone to blow highlights and I guess that makes sense with a smaller bit depth. It's easy enough to compensate for so I'm not too concerned. But when I'm being paid to get the best image possible I'd probably use the K-3 as the primary and maybe replace the backup K-5 with the K-S2.
09-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #40

Photos: Albums
thank you headmj and mattb123 for opinion

I also think more serious body outperform small differecies in raw noise* - I'm glad others can confirm that.

I have K-r and while picture quality is good enough for most jobs I had, body is lacking reliability for serious jobs. It's great camera when you can make another photo if first was not focused. But I didn't dare to shoot important stuff with it. I have almost 100% succes at daylight. But my often scenario at dim parties is: first photo not focused, next not at right moment, third would be perfect, but than flash not fires. I hope with faster lens and better body (K-3) I will be able to maintain more stable level of succesfull shots even in dim places. Often I shoot with longer exposure time and use flash just to freeze person - so if flash deny, than even K-r gives me chance to recover pictures from raw. So K-3 will be even better... and evetualy I will stop shooting raw to save time

Yes, greater pixel count gives better noise handling in post. I can confirm that from video cameras going from SD to HD. HD was noisier at same light level than SD camcorder, but since most all videos vent to DVD, a HD camcorder seemed perfectly clean.

*Same was again when I went from FUJIFILM S5600 to S9500PRO. At 1:1 pixel level, sensors was identical, where S5600 photo was exact crop of S9500PRO photo. But since S9500PRO captured much wider frame, when that was printed on small 2MP 4x6 (10x15) print, the later camera resulted better prints.