Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K10D Back Focus Help!!

Just bought a K10D from KEH in EX condition, 7,330 shutter count firmware 1.30. It's in pretty good cosmetic shape but it back focuses really bad in good lighting with all my lenses when using the center spot only focus function, which makes the auto focus pretty much useless. (I can get crisp shots with manual focus). I know there is a hack to adjust the focus calibration, but I don't think it will work with this firmware, correct? Is there any way I can fix this with the current firmware I have installed? Is there a way to completely reset the camera just in case the previous owner calibrated it for his lenses with the hack? Because I can't imagine he or she took over 7K photos with them all being blurry... Or perhaps the camera got damaged in transit and I should I just return/ exchange it? Let me know what you think!

03-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back focus with multiple lenses raises some red flags. I'd return the camera. You'd have to access the debug menu to see if AF adjustments have been made, but I don't think it's even worth bothering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

Yes.......... you can adjust the camera's AF mechanically! I have done it myself by removing the base plate and adjusting the AF module, this is done with a 1.5mm allen key, the task takes an hour or two including test shots, it's not difficult and I have the appropriate description and photos. Reply to this if this course of action interests you!
03-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
Reply to this if this course of action interests you!
Could you paste how you did it? I had a similar problem before with a Sony a330 and went in with a wrench at the base plate as you described, but even closely following a tutorial could never get it right.

03-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

OK I'll have a look later!
03-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just thought to share a few comments from my experience:
1. K10D back focus is normally caused by tilted mirror that developed over time. There's no official solution to this but some users have tried DIY solutions that worked pretty well. If you take off lens and look into camera's mount opening, the left side of mirror is slightly lower than right side. Some users used shims to raise it a bit to fix tilted mirror.
2. The latest firmware version is 1.31.
3. There is a simple way to do adjustment in debug mode. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/110320-k10d-focu...ebug-mode.html
4. Once mirror is tilted, there's a slight difference between viewfinder and actual focal plane. When viewfinder shows in focus, picture taken is slightly off focus. This is especially true for fast lenses.
5. Titled mirror also causes other issues, e.g. framing difference.

For my case, I'm happy with my K10D as long as I know how to live with these issues. I used debug to adjust a fixed value on AF (+70?). All my lenses work well after that. As I mentioned, tilted mirror developed over time. So, the previous user of your K10D might not have problem at beginning. He/she might get rid of it after noticing problem with AF at certain time. Just my guess but it is my own experience.

Last edited by hyyz; 03-05-2015 at 08:55 AM.
03-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

First the description:

Now, for those of you who are adventurous, this is how to do it:

1. Remove the 8 screws on the underside of the camera. (Don't mix them up, as there are 2 different threads: 4 identical threads around the battery compartment - they are attached to plastic and 4 identical threads on the other side - they are attached to metal).

2. Remove the sole and you will see 3 adjustable Allen screws (Allen = hexagonal head):

Take an Allen key ( it's 1.5mm, use an allen key with a ball end) and turn the screws COUNTERCLOCKWISE to correct FRONT FOCUS, CLOCKWISE to correct BACK FOCUS. Turn each screw by the same amount.

As I had a front focus problem, I turned the three screws counterclockwise. The 12 o'clock position became 10 o'clock after the first round of adjustments.

3. Put everything back together and make a focussing test.

4. I had a second round of adjustments as the correction I applied was insufficient and the 3 screws are now at 8 o'clock.

That's all. It was simple, far less stressing than my first attempt at cleaning the sensor and focussing is spot on. The whole operation didn't take one hour.

I hope I haven't created a problem for later, but I can always return the screws to their original position.

-

Last edited by Dave's clichés; 03-05-2015 at 12:41 PM.
03-05-2015, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Forum Member

Here is the view of the base of the K10 with it's base plate removed!

I give the credit to the author and publisher of this description and photo (not known to me), I have served only to pass on this information!

P.S. Test photos can be taken to establish good focus without recourse to refitting the bottom plate each time, once the focus point is correct replace the bottom plate.

There it is for those who want to try it!

Attached Images

Last edited by Dave's clichés; 03-05-2015 at 12:39 PM.
03-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
Just my guess but it is my own experience.
Thanks for the insight. It actually does appear a little tilted.

Now, for those of you who are adventurous, this is how to do it:
Thanks for the tutorial on how to mechanically adjust the autofocus. It's similar to what my Sony a330 required, but right now I don't think I want to risk messing up the water resistance by removing the baseplate. I think I'm going to have to play it safe today and send the camera back.
03-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

I understand entirely, TBQH I would choose the K20 over the K10, first off you can fine tune AF in body (20 lenses), better DR lot's less noise and a sensor that can still produces high resolution images, the K20 was way ahead of it's time and now they are cheap as beans!
03-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, K20's are a bargain! I just miss the CCD sensor of the Sony a330 I had which is the same sensor found in the K10D. It was awesome at iso 100 and would have made a good backup camera to my K30.
05-15-2015, 05:07 AM   #12

Here is the view of the base of the K10 with it's base plate removed!

I give the credit to the author and publisher of this description and photo (not known to me), I have served only to pass on this information!

P.S. Test photos can be taken to establish good focus without recourse to refitting the bottom plate each time, once the focus point is correct replace the bottom plate.

There it is for those who want to try it!
Hi Dave, just checked my K10D and it's mirror is tilted quite a bit. The focus adjustment you've described, does it affect the mirror's position? In other words, do you directly change the tilt of the mirror?
I always thought it was me not keeping the camera horizontal until I bought myself a MX-1 on the side and never had this "problem"again..