Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #61
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
AFAIK, the K-50 is pretty much identical to the K-30, except for the external appearance. The K30/K50 have many of the advantages of the K-5 series. They all share the same sensor.
K50 goes to higher ISO, but year, pretty well the same camera, and it really beats the Kx/Kr with a larger sensor, more dynamic range, better AF, focus peaking, WR, dual control wheels, etc. You can't really compare them.

03-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #62

Sensor is same size, you mean more MP which is not always advantage. Lets not talk about 10% IQ impoovements, or high iso performance. have you ever used iso 25600? even k-3 get some noice at iso 800-1600 which is already too much hit on IQ for me. Ive tested all 3 more than few couples of days, and there is more difference between k-30, which was a real improvement like an Semiprofessional build, than the k-50 entrance lvl. dslr.
They both "beat" K-r/k-x in few ways like you said(lets put "IQ" to the side, if you know how to take a photo, you will get astonishing pictures with any pentax, and there are 5 years or so between the cameras), but for the same price bit better IQ, you are getting much better Build, much better design. K-x, K-50. etc. are entrance lvl. dslr. they just have a cheap build - ok, you get your 5-10% better IQ and weather sealed(5 years passed), it is still weak performance in compare to k-30
03-17-2015, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #63
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
Sensor is same size, you mean more MP which is not always advantage. Lets not talk about 10% IQ impoovements, or high iso performance. have you ever used iso 25600? even k-3 get some noice at iso 800-1600 which is already too much hit on IQ for me. Ive tested all 3 more than few couples of days, and there is more difference between k-30, which was a real improvement like an Semiprofessional build, than the k-50 entrance lvl. dslr.
They both "beat" K-r/k-x in few ways like you said(lets put "IQ" to the side, if you know how to take a photo, you will get astonishing pictures with any pentax, and there are 5 years or so between the cameras), but for the same price bit better IQ, you are getting much better Build, much better design. K-x, K-50. etc. are entrance lvl. dslr. they just have a cheap build - ok, you get your 5-10% better IQ and weather sealed(5 years passed), it is still weak performance in compare to k-30
I hate to say it, but you don't know what you're talking about. The K50 was a slightly improved K30. The K50 was not the entry level one, the K500 was. There is so much wrong with your post I'm not even going to bother with addressing it.
03-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The K50 was not the entry level one, the K500 was. There is so much wrong with your post I'm not even going to bother with addressing it.
Was there any difference between them besides the lack of WR and no light up dot to show which focus point it's using? The sensor is identical, no?

03-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #65
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Was there any difference between them besides the lack of WR and no light up dot to show which focus point it's using? The sensor is identical, no?
The WR, cold proofing to -10c/14f, and the light up dot are the differences between that and the K500, yet those are enough to take it from an entry level to a midrange body, and the ISO range going to ISO 51,200 rather than 25,600 is the difference (besides a slightly different body design) from the K30. When compared to the Kr the K50 beats it in quite a few ways. Here's the comparison:

Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-r - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

The Kx and Kr were probably more forgiving to technique because they had lower resolutions and less ways for you to take over and screw things up. Back when I moved from the Kx to the K5 my pictures were worse at first. I had to learn a more advanced camera and I screwed things up at first, but I am glad I did because it made me a better photographer.
03-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #66

it is about build quality. there are cameras which are kind of innovative, and over the standart, which were although high quality build mostly. k-30 was such a build, far before its time it was athough some kind of expensive(ca.1000$). two years later there was a rebirth of that camera - with higher iso, bit longer battery life, but much worse build quality - no wonder (ca. 500$). same for the k500 - lower price, less pricey parts.
03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Same sensor in many models including K5, K5II, K01, K30, K500, K50... even the K5iis has it but without the AA filter.
03-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #68

Original Poster
I will apologize in advance. We took the girls for spring break to Asheville, NC to see the Biltmore Estate among other things. I bumped into many other photogs as you can imagine. One gentleman from Mexico had a full frame Canon with the GINORMOUS 300mm lens for shooting the gargoyles on the rooftop tour. His primary camera was one of mirrorless Sony's. Wow, what a neat and lightweight rig. Asked a guy about his Lumix FZ-1000. Loved it he said. I saw so many smaller rigs. I must say that lugging my 645 and its lenses around was a chore. Got me to thinking and re-accessing my TRUE needs and priorities.
With my injuries(shattered right wrist with lessened strength and only 25% wrist movement, plate in left knee and amputated right leg, etc) I should be looking at lightening my load. Simplify. And lighten. When I go hiking, if I carry a lighter a load, I can hike further to get more chances to take more pix. Lighten my load and instead of being totally give out at the end of the day and ready to go to bed, I may very well have enough energy to download by pix and do post production. Will I really ever never the resolution of a full frame or even APS sized sensor delivers? Ego says yes, but praticality and reason say no to a full frame and maybe for an APS.
I still need a viewfinder to help steady the shot, I did notice when I shot the Sony I could not steady the camera as I wanted due to my weakened right wrist. Almost like a palsy.
Autofocus is a must. Even with that giant 645 viewfinder and the diopter set right, manual focus at less than infinity was agonizing at best. This past week gave me a hard lesson in my limitations while enjoying photography.
Looks like I will be selling some pieces and trying to decide what I need:
A. A bigger sensor superzoom or bridge camera?
B. Lighter weight DSLR with a just one or two lenses?
C. Mirrorless with viewfinder and a couple of lenses?
Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by Bustedup; 03-28-2015 at 05:18 PM.
03-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bustedup Quote
When I go hiking, if I carry a lighter a load, I can hike further to get more chances to take more pix. Lighten my load and instead of being totally give out at the end of the day and ready to go to bed,
Don't feel bad. I make the same calculations, and I don't have any of your injuries.

There are times I wish I was carrying a compact P&S instead of my DSLR.
03-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found my K-r for 150, I think if you look around without being in a hurry, 200 and under is possible. The K-x might do as well - same sensor, but the K-r has the focus confirmation points that I find very useful, plus a larger LCD.
It's an amazingly light camera, and with my DA 35 2.4 on it I don't even feel it around my neck. That lens is on it at least 90% of the time as I like the normal field of view and so does my wife -
The ISO performance is not that far off the newer Pentax bodies. ISO 1600 is still useful and I have my max set at 3200 because I can still work with that ISO and get something useful if needed be. Build quality is surprisingly good. I picked up a Canon T5i the other day and it felt much worse built. Also handled a D7000 that didn't feel better made than the K-r.
So that would be my recommendation for a light high quality setup.