Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
(I have a K-50). It has a simple switch to set AF vs. Man--doesn't the K-30???
Yes, there's a 3 position switch ( M, AF-S, and AF-C ). If you have a manual focus lens mounted, and the body is configured for CIF, you can "turn on" CIF just by switching the AF mode switch from M to AF-S.

But if you have an auto-focus lens mounted, and you want to use both regular autofocus as well as CIF, you have to go into the menus and enable/disable CIF.

That said, I find focus peaking has errors as well and you have to pay a lot of attention to exactly how far you are through the focus peaking process to get it exactly on perfect focus.
I imagine it would be dependent on the lens you're using, subject distance, etc. As I said, I haven't played with focus peaking much since getting my K-30 - mostly just for checking auto-focus calibration. I don't like holding my
camera out at arms length and looking at the rear LCD. For one thing, I'd need to put my reading glasses on to see it properly, and that's not something I'm likely to bother with in the field. But if I had my camera on a tripod, and
I was really being patient and methodical about setting up a shot, I could maybe see myself putting my glasses on and using focus peaking.

03-15-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wonder what OP decided.
03-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I wonder what OP decided.
Lol... A thread does take on a life of its own sometimes doesn't it.
03-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lol... A thread does take on a life of its own sometimes doesn't it.
It most certainly does! I still say that one of the 310 dollar K-50 kits would have been a great buy for him. It would have given a modern, high performance weather sealed enthusiast level camera and a good lens right at the high spot on his budget, and a warranty to boot! I know the 18-55 is often maligned, but I've gotten pics in a magazine with that lens, and the new one with the K50 is weather sealed, the camera has dual control wheels, can take AA batteries or the standard battery, has nice ISO range, pentaprism viewfinder, focus peaking, and features that hit well above its weight at that price point. It certainly blows away my original Pentax, the Kx, and is cheaper than my Kx was.

03-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It most certainly does! I still say that one of the 310 dollar K-50 kits would have been a great buy for him. It would have given a modern, high performance weather sealed enthusiast level camera and a good lens right at the high spot on his budget, and a warranty to boot! I know the 18-55 is often maligned, but I've gotten pics in a magazine with that lens, and the new one with the K50 is weather sealed, the camera has dual control wheels, can take AA batteries or the standard battery, has nice ISO range, pentaprism viewfinder, focus peaking, and features that hit well above its weight at that price point. It certainly blows away my original Pentax, the Kx, and is cheaper than my Kx was.
The 18-55 in all versions is better than what most brands serve up. I think it is a good lens but it has little place in my kit since I have the 18-135 and my version is not WR. The 50-200 is also better than the reputation it has and is tiny.
03-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

It would have given a modern, high performance weather sealed enthusiast level camera and a good lens right at the high spot on his budget, and a warranty to boot! I know the 18-55 is often maligned, but I've gotten pics in a magazine with that lens
That was my thinking. I paid almost twice as much for my K30 kit. As to the kit lens, I think a lot depends on how good a copy you get. The kit lens I got with my K200D was very good, but unfortunately I broke it in a fall. The WR version I got with my K30 is not as sharp.
03-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #52
Site Supporter

Sure, I no longer have my 18-55, and I sold the K-50 kit I got to a guy at work and made a little money on it too. He is happy, I am happy, and now he is one of us. That little 18-55 kit lens will, when pared with the K-50, give you image quality no point & shoot or phone can come close to. People like to beat up on it, but I think most of them should drag it out and give it a shot again now that they've put years in with other lenses and refined their technique. I think they will be surprised at how good it does. Heck, I use the 18-135, which is often maligned as a "kit lens," more than anything when I have plenty of pro grade glass. You can see what I have in my profile on here. Most would think with a set of lenses like that the 18-135 would never see camera time, but it is on there 80-90% of the time.

03-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, I no longer have my 18-55, and I sold the K-50 kit I got to a guy at work and made a little money on it too. He is happy, I am happy, and now he is one of us. That little 18-55 kit lens will, when pared with the K-50, give you image quality no point & shoot or phone can come close to. People like to beat up on it, but I think most of them should drag it out and give it a shot again now that they've put years in with other lenses and refined their technique. I think they will be surprised at how good it does. Heck, I use the 18-135, which is often maligned as a "kit lens," more than anything when I have plenty of pro grade glass. You can see what I have in my profile on here. Most would think with a set of lenses like that the 18-135 would never see camera time, but it is on there 80-90% of the time.
I have both the 18-55WR and the Sigma DC 17-50mm F2.8 EX HSM. As long as there is good daylight around, I really see no great practical difference in sharpness. And I sure as hell would never take the Sigma out on my sailboat here in Newfoundland! (I have a WR lens bag and a non-WR lens bag!)

Last edited by jgnfld; 03-15-2015 at 09:28 AM.
03-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I have a WR lens bag and a non-WR lens bag!
You should get a WR rear lens cap!
03-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #55

Original Poster
Well after starting this thread, I guess my plunge into the DSLR world is on hold.Remember, I said when it rains it pours. Well, it is pouring right now. Newly discovered roof damage that is not covered by insurance. Good bye $6000! Purchase of any Pentax DSLR is on hold. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I shouldn't have given my Lumix DMC-FZ20 to my daughter!
03-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear... and I understand completely. In the last year, there were like 3 times when I sold lenses ans other things to raise money for lenses that I wanted, only to have to use that money on something else... I have wanted a wide angle prime for at least a year now...
03-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bustedup Quote
Well after starting this thread, I guess my plunge into the DSLR world is on hold.Remember, I said when it rains it pours. Well, it is pouring right now. Newly discovered roof damage that is not covered by insurance. Good bye $6000! Purchase of any Pentax DSLR is on hold. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe I shouldn't have given my Lumix DMC-FZ20 to my daughter!
Hang in there!
03-17-2015, 02:56 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck!

There will always be cameras to purchase, but taking care of business in the real world is more important.
03-17-2015, 03:47 AM   #59

pentax beeps on focus by default, so using manual lenses wouldnīt be that problematic.
under 200$ you might find used k-x / k-r, compared you can get new k5lls - 400$ and less for used one. i think any will fit your needs, but with k-x you are getting old hobbyst camera, whis isnīt as flexible and forgiving to some failures or in some circumstances. with k5lls you are getting professional camera for half of itīs current price.

k-50 isnīt that big advancement over k-x/k-r i would preffer even k-30 which surely wasīt such a chunk of plastic.
03-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
k-50 isnīt that big advancement over k-x/k-r i would preffer even k-30 which surely wasīt such a chunk of plastic.
AFAIK, the K-50 is pretty much identical to the K-30, except for the external appearance. The K30/K50 have many of the advantages of the K-5 series. They all share the same sensor.