Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Quality

Hi all. Am I blind, blinkered and biased. Every now and then I go and play with other brands cameras in department or electrical stores, rarely do they stock Pentax kit. But to be fair, Currys in the Newbury, UK did have a K5, on display under glass, Which I kept an eye on for about 18 months or so. The price dropped to £380. So I snapped it up. Shutter had been pressed 12 time when I check it. Since then, never seen another Pentax there. Anyway, back to my point. I stopped by at Clifton Cameras the other day and there was a large display of Pentax cameras and lenses. Dare I say the biggest display I've ever seen. I had to touch, obviously. Of pentax kit, I own a K200d + a 5 +18-55DAII kit lens, a FF50/1.4 & DFA 100mmWR. Ok, the kit lens isn't the best in the world but the kit on display at Clifton Cameras was stunning. I just don't get it that Pentax is not more popular. I've even had another photographer walk away from me when they've asked 'what do you use, Canon or Nikon?'. The reply of Pentax just does'nt seem acceptable sometimes. I have to say, I do laugh at their reaction. To my mind and comfort, the Pentax cameras just feel better than others I've encountered. Still, their loss not ours.

P.S. Mentally in that camera shop, I spent about £3.5k. At that point I had to leave and calm down. Back to saving some cash in hope of the next purchase.

03-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Geoff,

The forums (this one and others) put a lot of attention and excitement on new gear - this new camera or that new lens or a 'better' sensor or... what have you. It's good the hear that your (local?) shop carries a solid line of the Pentax branded gear. However, the kit that you have can carry you through many photo opportunities and produce excellent shots across a pretty wide range of focal lengths. It's fun to dream about new gear, but fortunately for most of us hobbyists, it's not essential to buy new cameras or lenses if we have a decent kit. And for those of us who mind a family budget, we need to be careful with expenses (that's why I look for 'vintage' lenses, which I find at really good prices).

As for the Nikon/Canon folks, as has been discussed many times on this forum - they might not know what they're missing. Sigh.

Anyways, keep saving those pence and be wise in your next purchase!

- Craig
03-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hi Geoff,

The forums (this one and others) put a lot of attention and excitement on new gear - this new camera or that new lens or a 'better' sensor or... what have you. It's good the hear that your (local?) shop carries a solid line of the Pentax branded gear. However, the kit that you have can carry you through many photo opportunities and produce excellent shots across a pretty wide range of focal lengths. It's fun to dream about new gear, but fortunately for most of us hobbyists, it's not essential to buy new cameras or lenses if we have a decent kit. And for those of us who mind a family budget, we need to be careful with expenses (that's why I look for 'vintage' lenses, which I find at really good prices).

As for the Nikon/Canon folks, as has been discussed many times on this forum - they might not know what they're missing. Sigh.

Anyways, keep saving those pence and be wise in your next purchase!

- Craig
Hi Craig.
With you all the way on the family budget. As with many people, kit has slowly built up since my k1000 from 1983. As for the 'mental' spend of £3.5k,(my credit rating nowhere. Near that, and certainly don't have that as 'spare' cash) if I did that, it'd cost me a whole lot more in divorce. As you said. It's nice to dream. But I know where I stand in reality.
03-09-2015, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Hi all. Am I blind, blinkered and biased. Every now and then I go and play with other brands cameras in department or electrical stores, rarely do they stock Pentax kit. But to be fair, Currys in the Newbury, UK did have a K5, on display under glass, Which I kept an eye on for about 18 months or so. The price dropped to £380. So I snapped it up. Shutter had been pressed 12 time when I check it. Since then, never seen another Pentax there. Anyway, back to my point. I stopped by at Clifton Cameras the other day and there was a large display of Pentax cameras and lenses. Dare I say the biggest display I've ever seen. I had to touch, obviously. Of pentax kit, I own a K200d + a 5 +18-55DAII kit lens, a FF50/1.4 & DFA 100mmWR. Ok, the kit lens isn't the best in the world but the kit on display at Clifton Cameras was stunning. I just don't get it that Pentax is not more popular. I've even had another photographer walk away from me when they've asked 'what do you use, Canon or Nikon?'. The reply of Pentax just does'nt seem acceptable sometimes. I have to say, I do laugh at their reaction. To my mind and comfort, the Pentax cameras just feel better than others I've encountered. Still, their loss not ours.

P.S. Mentally in that camera shop, I spent about £3.5k. At that point I had to leave and calm down. Back to saving some cash in hope of the next purchase.

I bought my K5, 16-45 and 1.4 converter from Clifton Cameras. Great shop and great service.