Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Does any Yongnuo flash with ttl work on my Pentax K3?

I need TTL when shooting street and event. I don't have time to play around with the settings. I currently have a Yongnuo 560 iii.

Thank you.

Last edited by enyceckk; 03-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.
03-09-2015, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think so. For the K-3 (and all Pentax dSLRs from the past several years) you need P-TTL, not just TTL.
There are third party flashes from Sigma, Metz, and probably others that support P-TTL but they will be more expensive.

As an option, if your flash has a auto setting that might be worth trying. Auto on my Metz 58 AF-2 works very well and I often see better results than with P-TTL.
03-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyceckk Quote
No. YongNuo only makes TTL flashes for Canon and Nikon's TTL systems.

The YN-560 family are manual-only flashes, with no auto setting. That's why they are so cheap!
03-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I don't think so. For the K-3 (and all Pentax dSLRs from the past several years) you need P-TTL, not just TTL.
There are third party flashes from Sigma, Metz, and probably others that support P-TTL but they will be more expensive.

As an option, if your flash has a auto setting that might be worth trying. Auto on my Metz 58 AF-2 works very well and I often see better results than with P-TTL.
I got another question. If I want to pass 1/180s sync speed does P-TTL matters? I want a flash that can do HSS. Will this work with my K3? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godox-VING-V850-Manual-Lithium-ion-Flash-with-FT-16S...item5d46f65991

I can use manual for HSS since i'm shooting birds. I just want to freeze the motion.

Last edited by enyceckk; 03-09-2015 at 10:28 AM.
03-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I want a flash that can do HSS. Will the YONGNUO YN-568EX help?
That's only for Canon cameras. If you want those features, you are going to have to look at another brand. The only way YongNuo flashes work with Pentax is all-manual.
03-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ah, if you want HSS then you need P-TTL. As far as I know that is the only way to get HSS (or FP in Sigma-ese).
I'm not aware of manual HSS but if it's a real thing I'd like to hear more.
03-09-2015, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I got another question. If I want to pass 1/180s sync speed does P-TTL matters? I want a flash that can do HSS. Will this work with my K3? Godox Ving V850 Manual Lithium ion Flash with ft 16S Trigger Diffuser Kit F953 | eBay

I can use manual for HSS since i'm shooting birds. I just want to freeze the motion.
According to what I read it will work manually but may more than likely not work P-ttl or HSS with your Pentax. Per Godox specs; High Speed Sync Triggering Provided. Up to 1/8000 second according to the camera. Someone please correct me if I am wrong with this.

AFAIK, there is no manual way to do HSS with a Pentax and the only trigger system I have found and use that will do HSS with my Pentax is the Aoktec radio trigger and that requires using two P-ttl HSS compatible flashes in conjunction with the triggers. I don't think HSS is what you want for birding as using it requires a shortened distance to be adequate and I don't think you could get close enough to birds for it to work. Your much better off using standard sync speeds and if from a distance use a Better Beamer for increased flash illumination.
03-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all!

03-09-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #9

I know nothing about Yongnuo, however, just today I was talking to my local camera shop about flashes. The sales rep has been using all manual Promaster flashes with remote triggers, hooked up to his K5 ( I believe ). Says it works great, and the price is very very low.
If you don't already own Yongnuo you may want to look into Promaster flashes?
I bought a Pentax AF540FGZ, expensive, but feature packed. I rushed into this buy, and haven't done any research before or after.
03-11-2015, 03:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used a Nikon fit Yongnuo Trigger on my K-3 last night in conjunction with a YN-560. Shutter speed had to be below 1/200s so I set at 1/160s. As previously stated, all manual but it triggered at least
Also worked with a K-5 at same settings.
03-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

One thing good about the yongnuo flashes is the almost instantaneous recycling time. I'm really impressed. With a fully charged eneloop, it takes about 4-5 seconds for my Metz 58 to recycle, the YN takes about 1-2 seconds
03-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I need TTL when shooting street and event. I don't have time to play around with the settings. I currently have a Yongnuo 560 iii.

Thank you.
I agree entirely with Matt in the response right below the original post. You will find Auto not only very accurate, but highly responsive. The lag due to pTTL is at one-third of a second on the K-3 making it a poor choice for people shots - street, or event. "Auto" is also known as auto-thyrister. A few generic economical flashes sold new have it; Adorama and B&H are good sources. The latest Pentax flashes do not (but the recently discontinued 540/360 do have it). Plenty of older, used flashes are solid, but take care to be sure they have low trigger voltages.

By the way, it works just fine to add an optical slave peanut (or Wein HS sync works great) coupled with the on-board flash set to M ratio mode as the trigger for the larger flash held off camera. If set to a very low ratio, the on-board contributes practically no light. Or you can set up a nice fill ratio as you see fit. I run flash cards on both (Demb Flip-it on-board, LumiQuest 80-20 on external) - and its easy to get the exact, soft effect you want with that set-up. Not that it would work for grab shots, but it would be a very small and reliable way to go for event work.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
According to what I read it will work manually but may more than likely not work P-ttl or HSS with your Pentax. Per Godox specs; High Speed Sync Triggering Provided. Up to 1/8000 second according to the camera. Someone please correct me if I am wrong with this.

AFAIK, there is no manual way to do HSS with a Pentax and the only trigger system I have found and use that will do HSS with my Pentax is the Aoktec radio trigger and that requires using two P-ttl HSS compatible flashes in conjunction with the triggers. I don't think HSS is what you want for birding as using it requires a shortened distance to be adequate and I don't think you could get close enough to birds for it to work. Your much better off using standard sync speeds and if from a distance use a Better Beamer for increased flash illumination.
Pretty sure you're right on all counts. For sure, HSS is futile for most bird shots (sometimes you can get pretty close to a Hummer near a feeder though). The light fall-off is directly proportional to the extent of the increased shutter speed, so if you are willing to go higher on ISO and limit the increase in shutter speed - you might have enough range in more situations. I wonder if the birds are bothered by bright flashes - if that's at all a concern to the shooter.

In any event, HSS requires pTTL and on the K-3 (not so much so on the earlier cameras) the delay in shutter release would be especially brutal. Keep in mind, though, that to the extent that the ambient light is much lower than flash intensity on your subject - you'll essentially freeze the movement. (Although less so with some models, such as most of the Metz units that have 1/500 at full duration.)
03-12-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Flash bursts can last about 1/400 - 20,000 sec. Why not get a Better Beamer or similar to simply give your existing flash more reach for birds. Then just go for a P-TTL flash with a fast recycle time, and stick with the normal 1/180 sync speed.

Note also that HSS for most flashes won't work in camera AF-C drive mode, just AF-S. So you won't be able to do your 8fps hummingbird shots AND use HSS.
03-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Note also that HSS for most flashes won't work in camera AF-C drive mode, just AF-S. So you won't be able to do your 8fps hummingbird shots AND use HSS.
HSS will work with both with my Af 540fgz's and my Sigma 610 Super in AF-C or AF-S mode, but you are correct in high or low speed drive mode the photos after the first shot will have no flash lighting and come out darker due to the flash recycle speed.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-12-2015 at 05:30 AM.
03-12-2015, 05:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
HSS will work with both with my Af 540fgz's and my Sigma 610 Super in AF-C or AF-S mode,
My apologies. You are right. I just checked my Metz 52 and even a YN 568EX I've been playing with on another system and they all have no restrictions on drive mode and HSS. I don't know where the idea came from. Must have been thinking of some other flash feature that don't work with HSS.