Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Upgrade may not be one

So I have a K-30 and I was considering selling it and getting the K-5iis since it's such a screaming deal right now, but the more I think about it, I may be hurting myself more than helping.

At first I thought, "14bit Raw, better autofocus, better frame rate, more ev steps, better iso, and better battery life". No brainer. My K-30 is in good shape and I should offset 75% off the cost selling it.

Now I'm thinking about how I shoot lots of macro. Some pretty extreme stuff at 3:1 that forces me to get very close. I often use live view and focus peaking, which the K5iis doesn't have. Manual focus for that stuff so the auto focus improvement is moot for macro. I've the K5iis live view might not be the best. Also, I encounter lots of compound eyes on bugs. Those are patterns. Might get moire from the lack of AA. Maybe the K-30 is a better macro camera. Maybe I should just save up for a K-3 since I could probably utilize the extra mp's with macro crops.

Thoughts?

03-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's true that the K-30 has a better live view mode. If you want the best of both worlds, I say wait until you can get a K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Does the K-3 have focus peaking?
03-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's true that the K-30 has a better live view mode..
Aside from having FP, what's better about the K-30's Live View?

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 07:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
Does the K-3 have focus peaking?
Yes it does

03-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Id say best bang for you buck is spend the money on Lenses and lighting instead
03-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have a decent selection of legacy and DA primes. With the price and impending extinction of the K5iis, it seemed like a good time to upgrade my body. But maybe the FF intro will drive down the price of K-3 even more in the next 6 months or so.
03-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

But maybe the FF intro will drive down the price of K-3 even more in the next 6 months or so.
Not sure the FF will make any difference to the k-3, different market. But there should be a replacement body for the k-3 in the next year as well, and that should impact k-3 pricing.
I often use live view and focus peaking, which the K5iis doesn't have.
I think the k-5IIs is a better camera all around, more features, better AF, all the stuff you mentioned. But, there is no focus peaking. If that's a deal breaker then stick with the k-30 until k-3 pricing reaches your budget. But keep in mind the k-30 will also continue to drop.
03-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
Odd they omitted FP from the K-5iis. I would think that's something that could be implemented with firmware, but then again I'm an idiot and really have no idea how that stuff works.

03-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They said that the hardware was limiting it, hence the image processor most likely didn't have the correct input/output to process a image like that and calculate in real time. The K-5IIs got the older image processor.
03-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Yep, k-5IIs uses the processor from k-5 which does not do FP.

I think FP was introduced with k-30.
03-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think FP was introduced with k-30.
K-01, actually (Feb 2012) - the first body with the PRIME M processor instead of the PRIME II. That was just about a year after Fujitsu announced their 6th Generation Milbeaut, which introduced a dual-core ARM architecture. Maybe Focus Peaking requires the additional processing power, or maybe it's implemented in the processor itself and Pentax bought it "off the shelf" with the chip. The K-5II/IIs were just a refresh of the K-5; using a completely different processor would have required a total redesign - which became the K-3.