Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Ebay "From Japan"

Anyone have experience buying lenses off ebay that are "from Japan? What was your experience like and how much are the "international duties, fees, and taxes" that end up being charged?

Thanks

03-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought several lenses "from Japan" and not had any issues. Items were as described, shipping was fair and not much longer than within the states. There were no duties, fees or taxes to be paid. That does not mean that there are no duties just that none were assessed on my purchases. See here for more info: Internet Purchases | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
03-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Never had a problem. The duties are what you country applies. In Australia, we can import in up to A$1,000 duty and tax free in one shipment.
03-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've bought several lenses "from Japan" and not had any issues. Items were as described, shipping was fair and not much longer than within the states. There were no duties, fees or taxes to be paid. That does not mean that there are no duties just that none were assessed on my purchases. See here for more info: Internet Purchases | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Thanks for the info

03-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
They usually come around same price as the local ebay stores. In EU custom duties apply.
03-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter

One of the Pentax sellers from Japan is a member here, but I can't remember his name. I bought from him and got a great lens.
03-10-2015, 03:10 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've never had any issues buying from Japan.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2015, 04:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My FA-43 arrived exactly as described, arrived quite quickly. I was pleased.

03-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #9
Marketplace Reseller

The import duty on camera lenses from Japan to the US is quite low, only 2.3%. There is no additional sales tax. Be aware that for higher value items ($2500+, I think), there is also a processing fee involved. The carrier might also add processing/brokerage fees of their own. This is much more likely if they are using a private carrier like UPS/FedEx/EMS etc. than if they are using the national mail service.

If your seller offers to fraudulently declare the item as a gift or as of lower value, it's a good idea to refuse, since if you are caught, your item may be confiscated, and you may be subject to civil and criminal penalties.
03-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Forum Member

The lenses I bought from a couple of Japan Ebay sellers were excellent in quality and value. One tip: always use the expedited EMS shipping (to the USA, at least). Some sellers only offer that; others give a choice of cheaper regular air mail. Opting for the cheaper, regular parcel air mail option (referred to as SAL in Japan, I think), risks having your package spend a week or more at one of the US Postal Services "international service center" locations (tracking will seem stuck at "processed through ISC sort facility" for days and days). I tried that once to save $15; not worth it, in my view. EMS, by contrast, gets from Japan to me (eastern USA) in about 4 days. As for import duties: I haven't had to pay anything extra in the US for items received through USPS (whether from Japan, China, Canada, UK, or Germany--can't recall where else I might have bought things from over the years (not necessarily photo items)). Somewhere online I read that import duties on lenses/cameras from Japan don't apply unless the purchase price is over $2000USD. FYI, I've no experience using UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.; their processes/fees might be different.
03-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

I have three shipments this year from Japan EBay and never an issue.
03-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

I have bought several 645 items from Japan. Always as described. Got a friend who shot pix over there years ago. Said honor and honesty are pillars of their character. It would turn generations of dead over in the grade for them to rip you off. The grammar is sometimes humorous. The sellers will flood you you with updates: I just packed your lens, I just got on the the train, I just arrived at the shipping office, it is shipped, etc. Buy with confidence.
03-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have always been fearful of Ebay. I've never bought a thing - even domestic - from there.

Is there some kind of list of "safe" vendors? Right now I limit myself to Amazon, B&H, & KEH. I know that I could be missing out on a deal or two.

Thanks,

Don
03-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
Marketplace Reseller

As both a buyer and seller on ebay, I can tell you that the eBay policies are ridiculously pro-buyer. Sure, there are disreputable sellers and people that don't know what the heck to look for in grading a piece of gear, but eBay always settles not-as-described cases in the buyer's favor, even on no-return items, and the only way a seller can get them to overturn a decision is to provide hard evidence that the buyer is committing fraud and file a police report. So basically, unless the item is described as "for parts or not working," you can return it no matter what, and if you file a case, the seller is on the hook for the return shipping, too!

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have always been fearful of Ebay. I've never bought a thing - even domestic - from there.

Is there some kind of list of "safe" vendors? Right now I limit myself to Amazon, B&H, & KEH. I know that I could be missing out on a deal or two.

Thanks,

Don
03-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I would agree, mostly with dcshooter. I did get burned as a buyer once and ebay refused to help. I'm still puzzled by the whole thing as it was clearly "not as described" and the seller disappeared and closed their account right after the transaction. However, it was a low feedback seller and I knew it was a risk.

However, nearly all transactions are good. Ebay has a sophisticated 'feedback' system and good sellers will do almost anything to avoid bad feedback. So when you look at an item the first thing you should consider is what feedback a seller has. 100% with 5,000 sales? Just as safe as Amazon. 80% with 10 sales? Run away.