Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #31

I use a UV filter ONLY when i am in harsh conditions (such as in a boat wakeboarding, where saltwater splashes may occur). Other than that i sometimes use a circ polarizer, but i try to do the "polarizer" effect in PP rather than by using the filter. I also have a warming filter that came in a set (hoya startup set with a UV, circ polarizer and a warming filter), but i have NEVER used it.

Here's some images for you all, be it boys or gals!

Me wakeboarding, the others said the water was too cold!

The other woosies that didn't dare!

Last edited by libbe; 06-08-2008 at 08:28 AM.
06-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know why probably Canon owners love filters:

"The mark II versions of Canon’s teleconverters, the Extender EF 1.4x II and Extender EF 2x II, also have weatherproofing. None of Canon’s more affordable lenses or cameras have weather sealing. Note also that weather-resistant zoom lenses do not have sealed glass ends - you need to put a filter on these lenses to seal out the far (non camera) end."

06-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Richard,
Nikkor lenses can be fitted to the Pentax as long as the light baffle doesn't extend more then 8.5mm past the rear edge of the appeture ring. This would be rear edge of the AI tabs on AI or AIS type lenses. You insert the lens into the bayonet at about bottom center of the bayonet. Then rotate the lens clockwise a few degrees. Don't over tighten. Handle the assembly with great care, since the lens isn't latched. This will also give perfect infinity focus. I have used my 35/2,55/3.5,105/2.5 and 200/4 lenses this way. My 20/3.5 has a baffle which goes to deep,so I haven't used it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind. I've thought of getting a D200 since it can handle all AI and AIS lenses with no problem. Trouble is these old eyes have come to rely on autofocus, plus the fact that the 42mm equivalent capture angle with that 28 would defeat the original reason I bought it - to get a reasonable wide-angle view. Of course the D3 would solve that particular problem but I would have to rob a bank to afford that beast and I would still have to focus manually. Guess I'll stick with my Pentax "pancakes". 31.5mm equivalent capture angle with my 21mm isn't bad and Pentax fixed the backfocus problem that lens exhibited.

Richard
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You get lots of opinions, but I have seen little or no loss in IQ from filters and they do, at times, protect the front element. Here is one I shot through double pane glass, that was dirty, and it is good enough for me, so a nice clean filter would not have any real effect IMHO.
As for spending a fortune on filters, no way! Tests I have seen don't justify spending a fortune on clear glass.
IMGP5630-700.jpg photo - James Williams photos at pbase.com

06-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zeroset Quote

This is a question that just occured to me last night. When I bought my camera, along with the telephoto lens, the guys at the camera shop sold me two heliopan UV filters (for both lenses) and basically told me they're a standard, must-have for all lenses. I got the impression you're supposed to use them all the time, in all conditions. So that's exactly what I've been doing, those two UV filters have never left either of my lenses. But I started wondering, how many photographers really do use UV filters on all their lenses? Especially those who have vast lens collections of varying sizes? And to be honest, I'm not even really sure what these filters do. And I don't see them discussed to much on forums like this.

I have been overall a little disappointed in the sharpness of my pictures. Could that be the filters inhibiting the quality of the shots at all? Should I get another UV filter for my new 50mm that's on the way, or should I save myself the time/money and go without it?
My approach to filter is that I want to have a couple of them together. Well sort of as you can see

I took all the glass out and treat them as small hood for minor protection.

My suggestion for most people is to stay away from cheap filter. Notwithstanding that , I do need occasionally a CP in a bad lighting situation

Daniel
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
Forum Member

I guess UV filters are like condoms. Everything is better without one, until she gets pregnant or when the $1500 lens breaks it's fall with it's front element.
09-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #37

I only use a UV filter as protection when I am on the beach, in a dirty/dusty area, or I am in an area that poses a threat to my lens (i.e. rock climbing). Otherwise it stays off the lens as I feel I get better image quality with the naked lens.

09-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #38
Forum Member

Maybe I got totally suckered in but has anyone seen the Sigma filter demo piece in the stores.

This has a UV filter with good/better/best Sigma glass in it and a penny underneath?

It was pretty compelling, as the Sigma glass looked like it wasn't there.......would be curious to know if this is a carnival trick or a real indication of how good the Sigma glass is.

It seems that the 77mm version for my Sigma 10-20 cost around 80bucks!!

Any thoughts?