Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma USB dock and the K3 and Sigma 18-35

A few months ago I spent 10 days in Paris shooting with the Sigma 18-35 on my K5lls. In spite of the 18-35's reputation for poor autofocus I had a very high percentage of good in focus shots. With another trip to Paris coming up in a few weeks, I thought I might take the K3 paired with the 18-35 and a couple of Pentax primes to extend my range. But, trying some informal testing around the house with the 18-35 and K3 combo some glaring problems with AF were apparent. In camera focus adjustment was less than perfect. So, I ordered the Sigma USB dock from B&H.
I imagine that any adjustment I might make to the lens with the dock will be specific to the lens. Meaning that if I get the lens to play nicely with the K3 it will no longer give me good focus results with the K5lls.
Does anyone have experience with adjusting focus with the USB dock?
Tom

03-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adjustments are indeed applied regardless of the body used, so you'd have to reset the adjustments before using the lens on your K-5 if you are already getting good results. Resetting is a fairly easy process, though. The only time-consuming thing is the trial-and-error involved when dialing in the actual adjustments, since you have to dismount the lens to test it. Here's a bit of info on the USB dock; we have an in-depth guide coming soon as well:

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM "Art" Review - Sigma USB Dock | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
FOX

Photos: Gallery
Looking forward to that in depth dock review!