Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-3II would be the current K-3, add Wi-Fi and/or HINGED LCD (not articulating), plus whatever is coming in the significant FW update April/May. Package as a kit with the new 16~85 and we're good to go for 12 months.

I suspect there won't be a K-50 replacement - that's the K-S2.
I concur. Though from my perspective, Pentax has never done the Canikon thing of modest refreshes every 18 months, K-5II notwithstanding. The K-20D and K-5 had the same body as their predecessors, but a new sensor. The K-50 had the bones of a K-30, but a different shell.

But I do think we're in a similar situation to when the K-5II/s were released, which is to say heavy focus on other models. Back then, Ricoh was cooking up the K-3. Now it's the FF, plus we know the 645Zs are selling as fast as they can make them, and the K-S2 is a new release as well.

03-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect there won't be a K-50 replacement - that's the K-S2.
Ricoh have stated in a recent interview that the K-S series is a new and separate line from the K series. The K-S series is designed to attract the smartphone demographic who want to enter the world of DSLRs in style.
03-18-2015, 04:23 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Ricoh have stated in a recent interview that the K-S series is a new and separate line from the K series. The K-S series is designed to attract the smartphone demographic who want to enter the world of DSLRs in style.
They did indeed say that, but how exactly would a "K-60" fit in the lineup?

Besides, you can get the K-S2 in plain ol' black...
03-18-2015, 04:48 AM   #34
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the time the K-30 came out, it took a lot of technology from the K-5 and made it more affordable. I expect the K-50 successor to do something similar with the K-3 technology. The K-S2 isn't really like that and while it has some nice additional features, the core of the camera is just like the low-end K-S1.

If the APS-C line up were just K-S1, K-S2 and K-3, that would be strange, because the sideline S cameras would be more numerous than the main line K cameras.

Finally, the K50 would appear to still be in production, because you can still order a custom colored model. So it doesn't look like the K-S2 is meant to be a direct replacement.