Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 replacement?

Everybody is talking about the new FF. In the meanwhile the K-3 is getting older and nobody speaks of a replacement. Is there no need and no demand for a refresh? Because K-3 is perfect or because everybody will buy the FF?

What could be improved on the top APS-C camera? In my opinion I think BSI could improve full well depth and readout rates. Faster readout could enable downsized video in stead of lineskipped video. Improving noise by a lot, reduce shutter roll and enable slow motion Full HD. I also would like 1,0x viewfinder magnification and built in WiFi features with Android/iOS app for remote live view shooting, H.265 compression and built in O-GPS1. Is it possible to make the built in flash tiltable and turnable? What more could we wish for? Battery charging in camera by USB?

03-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

K3 old? Mine is brand new! But as long as we are asking ; Better/faster AF especially in CF mode (it can never be fast and accurate enough!)
I really would like the AA battery's back!
And I would like something like focus bracketing. I don't even know if it exists, but that woud be helpfull for close up, macro or even astrophotography.
03-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The full frame development effort will probably be the focus for a whole. I'm interested in what shows up in the coming firmware upgrade. There will be one that supports the new dfa lenses and it is rumored to be more than that.

The D7200 upgrade is a bit of a yawner essentially fixing flaws in the D7100.
03-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-3 is still one of the top 3 APS-C cameras on the market. I doubt we see an update until after the FF body has been on the market for 6 months ore more.

03-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are several pages on the same topic here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/288644-funny-no-mention-k3-successor.html
03-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL..... K3 is not old. Price is pretty good now though.
03-16-2015, 08:10 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So are K-3 replacement threads the new FF threads?

03-16-2015, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

My K3 is pretty new and even if I would find some features to be added like WIFI, better AF or such already mentioned, I would find this two features to be extremely useful for this already very capable body:

1) Higher sync speed. I can't understand while cameras (full frame-film) like the PZ1P had sync speeds up to 1/250. The APS-C shutter curtain needs to travel (vertically) slightly more than half of the travel move from a full frame body. That means that if using the same mechanism, they could achieve sync speeds higher than 1/250 sec. or not?

2) I have big hands. I bought my K3 with the extra battery grip. Sometimes, it has happened that I left the grip's on/of switch turned on because I am shooting both vertical and horizontal at the same subjects. Sometimes, my big hands inadvertently press the grips shutter button (with my pinky finger) causing the AF to go crazy and sometimes even bursting a few shots. This is annoying, but more annoying is having to turn on and off the grip's switch on demand. So it would be nice if the grip could be fitted with some kind of "position sensor" (such as a mercury switch), that will automatically disable the shutter button (grip's) when camera is at horizontal position. To make it "democratic", have this position sensor the possibility to turn on and off.
03-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sure there will be a k-3 replacement. The question is will it be a k-3II or a completely new camera. If k-3II I doubt we will see a lot of changes beyond incremental improvements in existing technology. Any changes to image quality will depend on improvements to the sensor itself.

If it is a completely new camera then I suspect it will get a lot of the FF technology pushed down.

The k-3 was available in November 2013 if I remember right so a replacement would not really be expected until summer / fall of 2015. But with the FF taking all attention at Ricoh, that might get pushed to 2016. After all, k-3 is still extremely competitive with other high end APS-C cameras. D7200 just announced really does not show anything new except to fix glaring issues with D7100. From the specs the D7200 looks to be very competitive with the k-3.
03-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am sure there will be a k-3 replacement. The question is will it be a k-3II or a completely new camera. If k-3II I doubt we will see a lot of changes beyond incremental improvements in existing technology. Any changes to image quality will depend on improvements to the sensor itself.

If it is a completely new camera then I suspect it will get a lot of the FF technology pushed down.

The k-3 was available in November 2013 if I remember right so a replacement would not really be expected until summer / fall of 2015. But with the FF taking all attention at Ricoh, that might get pushed to 2016. After all, k-3 is still extremely competitive with other high end APS-C cameras. D7200 just announced really does not show anything new except to fix glaring issues with D7100. From the specs the D7200 looks to be very competitive with the k-3.
They may choose to come out with an update to counter the features in the Canon D70 II which have currently moved it into a higher score in recent reviews., but I wouldn't expect anything until they have at least nailed down the design and the functionality of the new FF first.
03-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
My K3 is pretty new and even if I would find some features to be added like WIFI, better AF or such already mentioned, I would find this two features to be extremely useful for this already very capable body:

1) Higher sync speed. I can't understand while cameras (full frame-film) like the PZ1P had sync speeds up to 1/250. The APS-C shutter curtain needs to travel (vertically) slightly more than half of the travel move from a full frame body. That means that if using the same mechanism, they could achieve sync speeds higher than 1/250 sec. or not?

2) I have big hands. I bought my K3 with the extra battery grip. Sometimes, it has happened that I left the grip's on/of switch turned on because I am shooting both vertical and horizontal at the same subjects. Sometimes, my big hands inadvertently press the grips shutter button (with my pinky finger) causing the AF to go crazy and sometimes even bursting a few shots. This is annoying, but more annoying is having to turn on and off the grip's switch on demand. So it would be nice if the grip could be fitted with some kind of "position sensor" (such as a mercury switch), that will automatically disable the shutter button (grip's) when camera is at horizontal position. To make it "democratic", have this position sensor the possibility to turn on and off.
There's already a position sensor in the camera
03-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
There's already a position sensor in the camera
I already thought about it and I guess it wont be that difficult to set up a custom function to "disable" shutter button in grip when in horizontal position, but that will mean going through several steps to change this CF, making the operation more complicated than just turning off grip via main switch.

A simple toggle switch will do it.
03-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-3 still seems fresh to me. Seems like just yesterday some on PF were seeing the "mystery hump" on the leaked images and insisting that it would accommodate a full-size jack.

03-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
The K-3 still seems fresh to me. Seems like just yesterday some on PF were seeing the "mystery hump" on the leaked images and insisting that it would accommodate a full-size jack.
mystery hump which really was.........???????
03-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
mystery hump which really was.........???????
The smaller size mic input. As the above pic shows, it was a ridiculous idea.

I guess what I was trying to say is that speculation runs wild around here, and while fun to indulge in at times, is often way off the mark.