Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

Which affordable Pentax DSLR offers best Live View?

Hello,
first I apologize for my bad english.
The last and surely best Pentax DSLR I did own was the K-r. I began frequently using the display instead of the eyepiece viewinder. But there were issues like slow picture refreshing, missing auto focus, a loud noise probably from the parts keeping up the mirror, high power consumption etc.
Last year I selled the Pentax digital gear and looked for something smaller, lightweight and discreet, less eye-catching. I ended up getting a Fuji X-A1 mirrorless, a kit zoom and a 27mm pancake lens. It's all fine but I have to admit completing a Fuji system is costly (for example real wide angle, macro, fast zooms) or impossible. Aside from that I'm missing the feeling of holding something substantial in my hands.
Therefore I'm considering returning to Pentax all the more as there are some interesting new DA lenses.
My "new" Pentax must not be a top of the line one. I even consider getting a second-hand K-30 or K-50. But it must have a usable Live View function, better than the one in the K-r.
Which would you advise has the best LV?
Thank you very much in advance!
Konstantin

03-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My impression is K3 and K50/K30 are the best live view options. l have not used the K3 or the K5/K5ii/K5iis nor the K-r.
03-16-2015, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Hard to beat the K-01 for affordable live view; if you want a viewfinder now and then it won't do, but it's a fun and talented camera.
03-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

After a month long search and review....looking at hundreds of photos and listening to many dozens of reports from owners.....I bought a K5IIs last week.....should have it delivered in a few more days.

A bargain price for a camera that beats most APS-C cameras by a good margin...and rivals some FF cameras. Great high ISO abilities, and superb resolution with sharpness that is seldom matched.

Will it deliver to my expectations? I'll know soon, it certainly has for many others! Better hurry! They are going to become rare very soon as new purchases.

Regards!

03-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hard to beat the k-01 if all you want is live view, prices used will be very good. But if you want a viewfinder as well that will not work.

All of the current or recent Pentax DSLRs except the k-5 series will have remarkably better liveview including focus peaking. k-3 should have some improvements to the autofocus but k-50 will also be good. Stay away from the k-5 series if you want focus peaking.
03-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KonstantinT Quote
But there were issues like slow picture refreshing, missing auto focus, a loud noise probably from the parts keeping up the mirror
the Noise will probably be about the same on every recent pentax camera - there are two separate features that cause noise ( that i can think of ) in Live View compared to using the viewfinder.
First one is if you use phase detect autofocus in Live View - basically then it flips the mirror every time when it focuses (and the screen goes temporary black) - this can be turned off by selecting contrast detect focus.
Second one which is probably what you have in mind is due to the shake reduction being constantly engaged while in live view - I guess if you switch the shake reduction off this noise also goes away, but I haven't tried and I dont have the camera around me right now to check it.

K-30/K-50 will be probably best value for the money right now considering your priorities (i would rule out k-01since you say you whant something more substantial) .. or may be k-s1, but this camera is so .. not right ... that I cannot honestly recomend it to anyone
03-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by KonstantinT Quote
Hello,
first I apologize for my bad english.
The last and surely best Pentax DSLR I did own was the K-r. I began frequently using the display instead of the eyepiece viewinder. But there were issues like slow picture refreshing, missing auto focus, a loud noise probably from the parts keeping up the mirror, high power consumption etc.
Last year I selled the Pentax digital gear and looked for something smaller, lightweight and discreet, less eye-catching. I ended up getting a Fuji X-A1 mirrorless, a kit zoom and a 27mm pancake lens. It's all fine but I have to admit completing a Fuji system is costly (for example real wide angle, macro, fast zooms) or impossible. Aside from that I'm missing the feeling of holding something substantial in my hands.
Therefore I'm considering returning to Pentax all the more as there are some interesting new DA lenses.
My "new" Pentax must not be a top of the line one. I even consider getting a second-hand K-30 or K-50. But it must have a usable Live View function, better than the one in the K-r.
Which would you advise has the best LV?
Thank you very much in advance!
Konstantin
The K-01/K-30/K-50 are all about the same in live view, and can be considered a large improvement over the K-r, which was essentially the first Pentax consumer camera with live view.

The K-S1, K-S2, and K-3 are another step up when it comes to AF speed but are otherwise very similar in terms of features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-01/K-30/K-50 are all about the same in live view, and can be considered a large improvement over the K-r, which was essentially the first Pentax consumer camera with live view.

The K-S1, K-S2, and K-3 are another step up when it comes to AF speed but are otherwise very similar in terms of features.
I'm pretty sure that Adam knows that the K20D from 2008 had (very rudimentary) live view, and he is likely to say that the K-R (2010) is a consumer camera, as opposed to the K20D which can be considered as a prosumer camera. I just wanted to clarify his remark.

03-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
Forum Member

if weather proofing isn't important to you then a K500 will be cheaper than a K50
03-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think every new generation of cameras has better live view then the previous. The K-01 is made for live view, of course, since it is mirrorless and has no OVF. I really like this camera, but it might be difficult to buy one these days, as it was discontinued some time (years?) ago. But there was a second production cycle for Japan with the white/blue colour combo.
If you want the most affordable DSLR, think about the K-50 (can sometimes be found cheaper than the K-500, which is the same camera but the K-500 has fewer features) or a K-S1 (these can be found on sale for great prices every so often. Seems like a great beginner camera, photographers whined about it because it looks cute and has LED lights for timer countdown - silly complaints, really).