Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7
Which affordable Pentax DSLR offers best Live View?

Hello,
first I apologize for my bad english.
The last and surely best Pentax DSLR I did own was the K-r. I began frequently using the display instead of the eyepiece viewinder. But there were issues like slow picture refreshing, missing auto focus, a loud noise probably from the parts keeping up the mirror, high power consumption etc.
Last year I selled the Pentax digital gear and looked for something smaller, lightweight and discreet, less eye-catching. I ended up getting a Fuji X-A1 mirrorless, a kit zoom and a 27mm pancake lens. It's all fine but I have to admit completing a Fuji system is costly (for example real wide angle, macro, fast zooms) or impossible. Aside from that I'm missing the feeling of holding something substantial in my hands.
Therefore I'm considering returning to Pentax all the more as there are some interesting new DA lenses.
My "new" Pentax must not be a top of the line one. I even consider getting a second-hand K-30 or K-50. But it must have a usable Live View function, better than the one in the K-r.
Which would you advise has the best LV?
Thank you very much in advance!
Konstantin

03-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
My impression is K3 and K50/K30 are the best live view options. l have not used the K3 or the K5/K5ii/K5iis nor the K-r.
03-16-2015, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,550
Hard to beat the K-01 for affordable live view; if you want a viewfinder now and then it won't do, but it's a fun and talented camera.
03-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,008
After a month long search and review....looking at hundreds of photos and listening to many dozens of reports from owners.....I bought a K5IIs last week.....should have it delivered in a few more days.

A bargain price for a camera that beats most APS-C cameras by a good margin...and rivals some FF cameras. Great high ISO abilities, and superb resolution with sharpness that is seldom matched.

Will it deliver to my expectations? I'll know soon, it certainly has for many others! Better hurry! They are going to become rare very soon as new purchases.

Regards!

03-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
Hard to beat the k-01 if all you want is live view, prices used will be very good. But if you want a viewfinder as well that will not work.

All of the current or recent Pentax DSLRs except the k-5 series will have remarkably better liveview including focus peaking. k-3 should have some improvements to the autofocus but k-50 will also be good. Stay away from the k-5 series if you want focus peaking.
03-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
npc
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 311
QuoteOriginally posted by KonstantinT Quote
But there were issues like slow picture refreshing, missing auto focus, a loud noise probably from the parts keeping up the mirror
the Noise will probably be about the same on every recent pentax camera - there are two separate features that cause noise ( that i can think of ) in Live View compared to using the viewfinder.
First one is if you use phase detect autofocus in Live View - basically then it flips the mirror every time when it focuses (and the screen goes temporary black) - this can be turned off by selecting contrast detect focus.
Second one which is probably what you have in mind is due to the shake reduction being constantly engaged while in live view - I guess if you switch the shake reduction off this noise also goes away, but I haven't tried and I dont have the camera around me right now to check it.

K-30/K-50 will be probably best value for the money right now considering your priorities (i would rule out k-01since you say you whant something more substantial) .. or may be k-s1, but this camera is so .. not right ... that I cannot honestly recomend it to anyone
03-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,140
QuoteOriginally posted by KonstantinT Quote
Hello,
first I apologize for my bad english.
The last and surely best Pentax DSLR I did own was the K-r. I began frequently using the display instead of the eyepiece viewinder. But there were issues like slow picture refreshing, missing auto focus, a loud noise probably from the parts keeping up the mirror, high power consumption etc.
Last year I selled the Pentax digital gear and looked for something smaller, lightweight and discreet, less eye-catching. I ended up getting a Fuji X-A1 mirrorless, a kit zoom and a 27mm pancake lens. It's all fine but I have to admit completing a Fuji system is costly (for example real wide angle, macro, fast zooms) or impossible. Aside from that I'm missing the feeling of holding something substantial in my hands.
Therefore I'm considering returning to Pentax all the more as there are some interesting new DA lenses.
My "new" Pentax must not be a top of the line one. I even consider getting a second-hand K-30 or K-50. But it must have a usable Live View function, better than the one in the K-r.
Which would you advise has the best LV?
Thank you very much in advance!
Konstantin
The K-01/K-30/K-50 are all about the same in live view, and can be considered a large improvement over the K-r, which was essentially the first Pentax consumer camera with live view.

The K-S1, K-S2, and K-3 are another step up when it comes to AF speed but are otherwise very similar in terms of features.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-01/K-30/K-50 are all about the same in live view, and can be considered a large improvement over the K-r, which was essentially the first Pentax consumer camera with live view.

The K-S1, K-S2, and K-3 are another step up when it comes to AF speed but are otherwise very similar in terms of features.
I'm pretty sure that Adam knows that the K20D from 2008 had (very rudimentary) live view, and he is likely to say that the K-R (2010) is a consumer camera, as opposed to the K20D which can be considered as a prosumer camera. I just wanted to clarify his remark.

03-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 57
if weather proofing isn't important to you then a K500 will be cheaper than a K50
03-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,865
I think every new generation of cameras has better live view then the previous. The K-01 is made for live view, of course, since it is mirrorless and has no OVF. I really like this camera, but it might be difficult to buy one these days, as it was discontinued some time (years?) ago. But there was a second production cycle for Japan with the white/blue colour combo.
If you want the most affordable DSLR, think about the K-50 (can sometimes be found cheaper than the K-500, which is the same camera but the K-500 has fewer features) or a K-S1 (these can be found on sale for great prices every so often. Seems like a great beginner camera, photographers whined about it because it looks cute and has LED lights for timer countdown - silly complaints, really).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, fuji, k-r, live view, pentax, pentax dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who has moved to DSLR with Katzeye to K5 or K3 with live-view? Jonathan Mac Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 08-26-2014 04:43 PM
Pentax K-30 Live View rickeypo Welcomes and Introductions 4 08-04-2014 10:13 AM
Live View on dSLR kyteflyer Pentax DSLR Discussion 23 01-26-2011 10:01 AM
Which is BEST Low-Cost Pentax DSLR UNDER $300 Used? PentaxForums-User Pentax DSLR Discussion 51 04-10-2010 07:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top